Blade discoloration question

smills

Gold Member
I've got a handful of spydercos, but this is my first time purchasing one from a company that does custom scales. The knife is beautiful, but I can't help but be bothered by discoloration on each side of the blade.

My question is whether or not I should make an issue about it or is this acceptable condition and I'm just an unreasonable perfectionist. I think I'm extra paranoid after seeing all the recent seconds sale posts in thinking that maybe they just cannibalized an extra cheap knife for blade.

So, would this have passed quality control from the factory and I'm just a picky a-hole, or should I be complaining?

Appreciate any feedback. Tried to take pictures in different lights to give an honest representation.

IMG_7065.jpgIMG_7066.jpgIMG_7067.jpgIMG_7069.jpgIMG_7071.jpgIMG_7072.jpgIMG_7073.jpg

Looks like it got bumped with a buffer. It wouldn’t bother my but it’s my knife and I don’t knot what you paid for it. If it’s the only thing you think about when you hold it then you should probably seek a return.

The tang was rubbed against the liners when the scales were put on and the pivot adjusted.

If it bugs you and you bought it from a store, return it. I wouldn't but it's your knife.

Return it. Maybe they can clean that up, but I would not accept that on a fancy knife unless I was going to be working hard with it which I doubt is your plan.

Ive had DLC blades look like that before and when i put a light coat of wd40 or mineral oil on them they looked just fine. If its just something stuck in the surface it may come off.

DLC likes oil to darken up, when I wash mine in the hard Arizona tap they lighten up. Try rubbing a drop of mineral oil there

Its not a factory second blade. All seconds have a notch cut in the spine above the hole on the Golden Colorado side.

Is the blade Spydercos DLC coating? If so a magic eraser may clean it off.

If your planning on returning it I wouldnt even mess with it. If you make it worse they may not refund your money.

Do you plan on using the knife? Because it's going to get scuffed up eventually.

It wouldn't bother me at all, but as others have said if it bothers you ... return it where you bought it fir a refund ir ask them to check an exchange to make sure it doesn't have any marks.

Have you tried cleaning it? A little windex or a little oil? The marks may just be on the surface. DLC is a very hard coating. A lot of materials will deposit themselves on the surface giving the appearance of a scuff.

The blade bothers me a whole lot less than those scales! 😛 In all seriousness though.. If you're happy with the scales, action, lock-up, grinds, etc, I wouldn't let that little bit of schmutz dissuade you from hanging on to the knife.. the rest of the blade is likely going to match as soon as you decide to cut anything. I'd expect it all to buff right out with a little bit of flitz polish.. dlc typically cleans up very nicely. Of course, I'm just some random guy on the internet, my opinion shouldn't matter all that much to you.. so if you're that bothered by it, by all means return the knife. I do feel that placing any blame on Spyderco is unfounded however.. any responsibility they may or may not have had goes out the window when a third party company disassembles a factory knife for resale, imo (btw, I doubt it looked that way leaving the Golden factory)..

I just dropped it off at USPS as a return. Between the scales being more washed out than they were represented on the seller's site and the blade not being cleaned before shipping it just all left a bad taste in my mouth. I want to open a knife and immediately love it. Not deal with cleaning/polishing methods and have to reach out for clarification on why things aren't quite right. Especially for $270.

Was that your first DLC coated blade or have you had others to compare it to? Because it almost looks like those could be finger prints from handling when they assembled the new scales. Or was the blade actually rubbing the liners when opening and closing?

Every DLC blade ive had from Spyderco is crispy black and perfection in every way.

Back