blade grind asymmetrical or not?

Well now that they have been out for a while what do you think is it a better grind or not?
should you be able to get an symmetrical grind on request?
I've tryed both and can't say one is better than the other what do you think?

I think with a decent steel and a strop, you can make an asymmetrical edge Busse razor sharp in very little time. In fact just stropping the convex side alone might do it.

With INFI, the burr that forms when sharpening is real flexible, and if you just stone each side in turn, you just "chase it" back and forth. A good treated strop will take care of the burr and leave your knife shaving sharp. It is pretty easy actually.

Now I don't know what "guys in the field" on foot use, I doubt they carry a steel and a strop, so maybe someone can let us know what method works best for them.

I'd actually really like to see a normal grind as an option on the smaller knives.... Just a personal preference...

James

------------------
The beast we are, lest the beast we become.

My lean mean streets came with a symmetrical grind i haven't got my e-badger yet so i can't say about them.
I don't have a problem sharpening ether grind its more that i wonder where the benefit is to a user like me who has been using and sharpening symmetrical grind blades forever.(30+ years).
gary

I totally understand the benefits of the asymetrical edge put after more experimentation with 4 different Busses (fifth one on the way) I grind the convex edge off. I prefer the "V" grind and it would be nice to see it as an option.

rdnzl,

According to instructions you strop the flat side of the edge. You dont strop or stone the convex edge unless there is serious blade damage. It has always worked for me. That is the beauty of the asymetrical edge, you only have to sharpen one side, the flat side. With this method it takes so little effort to make INFI sreaming sharp...

A spyderco white rod (piece of a broken one) and a Kramer horsehide strop with a polishing compoung is my travel sharpener. The Kramer strop is the same size as the new SH II kydex lined sheaths. you can actually strap the strop behind the sheath. you can barely notice it, but it is always there.

Bill

------------------
It is all Greek to me

It was my understanding that you can hit the flat side with a steel or rod and strop the convex side. Works for me perfectly.

rdnzl,

Whatever works for ya. If the blade is screaming sharp you are doing something right. For me it is easier to stone, strop, or steel the flat side only.

When the asymetrical edge came out, Busse knives came with a little yellow piece of paper with sharpening instructions. My previous post was an accurate summary of those instructions.

I own combat grade Busses with both edge configurations. Love them both.

Bill

------------------
It is all Greek to me

not.

defintely prefer symetrical, and have sold all my asymetrical edge busses and bought straight handle symetricals. edge sym or asym should be an option, for such expensive blades. my 3 cents.

Back