Blade guards

I really appreciate the education I'm getting through you guys.....so here's my next question. It appears that most of the big name tactical fixed blades don't have full blade guards but rather some kind of "detents" in the handle..exception like Gerber Trident, Wilson and others... I'm not even sure what the issue is here. Is it safety..hand protection? Is the traditional blade guard on most Bowies decorative..? Thanks for your input!

yup, the guard stops your hand from sliding down to the blade while stabbing. the traditional guard on the bowie is (usually) functional, as they're original purpose was to be a fighting knife.

Originally posted by kenster
yup, the guard stops your hand from sliding down to the blade while stabbing. the traditional guard on the bowie is (usually) functional, as they're original purpose was to be a fighting knife.

On a large fighting bowie, it can also serve as a blade catcher.

A wide double or single guard can also protect your hand from accidents. My least favorite knife handles are the ones on the Becker line, because I cut myself accidently with two of them. The handles are slippery and have only a rounded bump for lower guard. While holding the knives with the blade pointed up, I accidentally loosened my grip, and the knives quickly slid down and the blade came in contact with my index finger. The slick scales and rounded guard, if you can call it that, just slid through my grip.

When I buy knives now, I look closely at the guard and texture of the grip. It might be that a long guard makes some cuts more difficult, but I prefer difficult cutting of other stuff to easy cutting of my fingers.

If I recall the story correctly, Rezin Bowie used a large knife to finish off an animal (Buffalo or something like that) and his hand slipped onto the blade, injuring him. It wasn't long after that that Rezin/Jim Bowie had guards on their knives.

Guards offer a lot of protection. However, for some chores they can really get in the way. Also, for the higher speed folks, a guard can catch on other gear when one is drawing quickly. A guardless knife can be designed for good protection using a variety of design elements. However, a guard will still offer more security. It is really a trade-off decision that one needs to make.

Back