Blade info please...

Hi guys !

Can anyone help me out here, I am researching for my first good folder, I have been reading several really long threads on what the perfect folder may be, it´s an endless debate, so no use asking that.

Instead I would like to know about the different blade designs and its uses,pros and cons of each, to decide for myself what´s best for me, by desingn I mean Tanto, Spearpoint, droppoint, single edge, double edge, etc.

How many designs are there ? is there an URL where I can read about them and see some examples? wich would you choose and why?

Another thing is there an advantage to have the edge serrated, smooth or partially serrated, what´s the diference?

Hope this hasn´t been asked to much, I did a search with no good results.

Any info, pics, or URL´s would be greately appreciated.

Thanks!

Alex :confused:

You might want to start by reading the FAQ. The link is at the top of the page. Lots of useful info there.

Alex,

Ofcourse, the best blade shape depends on the purpose for which you intend to use the knife. This may sound like a cliche, but it's true.

If you're looking for an everday carry (which I supspect), I'd suggest a basic spearpoint design. A spearpoint design will be practical for everything from preparing food to cutting rope, wood, etc. Most spearpoints have a pointy tip which is handy for cleaning, scraping and making holes.

About the serrations... I prefer a straight blade over a (partially) serrated blade. In some cases serrations are great (we have a fully serrated Spyderco Rescue in the car for cutting seat belts, just in case...), but in my daily routine I rarely use them.

Since double edged knives are illegal where I live, I do not carry those. Especially for an EDC, being able to carry it around everywhere is important to me.

Hope this helps, just my 2 cents...

First of all Alex, welcome to the forums. Second of all, there is no perfect folder, but there are 100's if not thousands of excellent folders that should be able to handle most any job a normal person would put a knife to. It's always good to read up on the Hot knives and what other people are buying as well as the classic patterns that have been around for a long time. They become classics for a reason. One knife I would suggest you look at is the Camillus EDC, I believe that's a Classic in the making.

For general knife knowledge the FAQ'a here on BFC will help, but one of my favorite sources is AG Russell's Encyclopedia.
http://www.agrussell.com/faq/index.html

As far as serrations go, I hate the ugly little suckers. :p

Fudo, I didn´t see that lil FAQ button on top, going to start reading some more, thanks!

Serge, yes you are right is for EDC, I currently have a SAK champion for EDC but I am not satisfied with the main blade, it tends to close on my fingers from time to time, I´ve been lucky not to get cut, but want something more robust and with a lock, and want to do some research to decide what features I want in a folding Blade.

Thnx

Alex

Hi PhilL, thanks for the welcome!

I´ve seen and read the threads about folders, yes its a big world out there! lots and lots to choose from, but I want to start with the basics, knowing the steel, configurations and the like, before steping into the decision stage, I plan to spend(or invest) up to $200 on a good folder.

Thanks for the knife encyclopedia link, very usefull, will spend some time getting to know the terms and definitions.

Alex

I think the only way to find out which blade style fits you the best is to give themall a try. That is how I ended up with a preference for the drop point. I find it is a very good all around point for use on a utility or hunting style knife and these are the knives that I prefer. I also like a recurve for it's added length of the cutting edge and I also think the recurve looks great. Besides a recurve I also like a blade with good belly because I find that I can cut better with a blade that has more drop on the cutting edge near the point. On a pocketknife/slipjoint I prefer a wharncliff blade. It is great for whittling and has a good point for penetrating.

You will find that there are going to be as many different opinions as to a favorite blade style as there are blade styles. I do not like the Americanized Tanto, some people love them. I hate chisel grinds, others find them very useful. Each to his own. That is the great thing about knives, we can all find the style that fits us the best. Finding out what that style is, is a great deal of fun as well. Enjoy the search.

I would like to welcome you to BladeForums as well. Glad to have you with us.

KWM, that´s a good tip, but probably would get me spoiled :D , wonder how would I convince Wife that I have to give´em all a try, hmmm...

Thnx

Alex

The best advice I can give is to step back and look at what your needs/desires really are. The tanto/drop/clip/spear point debate can be very mis-leading. The sweep of the edge and position of the point are more crucial than than shape of the blade back. Think about what you want to use it for, and how you want to carry it. If possible, handle as many different designs as you can. Compare materials. Get what suits your needs and feels good to you. And don't forget to check your state/local concealed weopons laws. Good luck and happy hunting.

Paul

I totally agree with KWM on both the drop point and the recurve for utility purposes and my dislike for the americanized tanto/chisel grind. I also like flat grind best. My EDC is a Kershaw Boa and I've been carrying it for over a year now with no complaints.

And you don't necessarily have to buy them to try them all out. Just go somewhere that has a wide range and just handle them. There's all sorts of factors aside from blade profile that you have to look at--locking mechanisms, ease of opening, handle ergonomics, handle material, blade material, etc. No matter how good the blade is, if the handle isn't comfortable you probably won't like the knife as much.

For $200, you should be able to get a pretty damn good folder no matter what your preferences are (unless you want custom).

Originally posted by AlexGT
Hi PhilL, thanks for the welcome!

I´ve seen and read the threads about folders, yes its a big world out there! lots and lots to choose from, but I want to start with the basics, knowing the steel, configurations and the like, before steping into the decision stage, I plan to spend(or invest) up to $200 on a good folder.

Thanks for the knife encyclopedia link, very usefull, will spend some time getting to know the terms and definitions.

Alex

If you're going to spend $200.00 on a folder you're getting into the Custom folder price range. You might want to check out some of the custom makers and see if you can find just what you want and one that's made just for you.

Thanks Paul for your tips, Mostly its going to be EDC carry on a belt pouch or pocket with my E2 and Photon Led, basically it will be cutting paper boxes,plastic,wood, and most other common material around everyday, but want something robust that won´t fold on my fingers like the SAK, and be up to the task of defending me if the unthinkable happens, just started the itch for a really good folder and want to know more before I choose.

ZenGhost,thats exactly what I had in mind, go somewhere to try them out on my regular size hand to see how it fits and handles, the only problem I have is that I don´t know where to find that kind of store. I live in South Texas, and haven´t seen a good knife store yet.

Jim, I want to spend on a good knife up to $200, but wouldn´t want to spend the whole amount if I can get me a really good knife for under that($200 is the limit), but didn´t even crossed my mind custom, I´ll check it out, thanks.

Thanks
Alex

Although i know that the FAQ would help, I personally learned to stay away from the tanto because I like to sharpen my own, and I was silly enough to change the angle of the blade. It's very hard to keep the edges straight once you try to change the angle. The good side is that the tanto is kinda well rounded, it would slice pretty well and pierce pretty well. Certainly a tanto would fill your jobs nicely.
Perhaps you should find a store that would let you to have a feel on the knives. It's kinda like finding the right pen, you gotta try it enough times to know what do you like.

Alex, the Camillus EDC is a great place to start. The Spyderco lightweights are also good.

Paul

Back