Blade Length When Crossing State Lines

P. Ortiz

Gold Member
I'm planning a couple of road trips to attend some vintage car races. Normally, I just stay at hotels while traveling as well as when I'm at the actual events. However, the appeal of camping at a racetrack, spending an evening around a campfire, and waking-up to the sound of practice sessions has me intrigued. I'd be camping out of a very small sportscar so we're talking compact and very basic. In your experience, how big a knife is it practical to travel with? Can I take a larger knife that can handle light wood splitting, or am I better off with a smaller sub-4" knife and a hatchet? One of the trips is from Florida to New York State and the other would take me all the way to California. My biggest concern is the interpretation of blade laws from one state to the other.

Take the hatchet , and carry a knife that you'll be more comfortable with...
And have fun camping!
(We sure do!)

Attachments

• 0904201631b 01.jpg
    0904201631b 01.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 13
With the exception of switchblades and butterfly knives the state of California has no blade length restrictions for knives carried in public (fixed-blades must be carried openly). There is a limit of no blades longer than 4" if entering government or public city/county/state buildings. And there are strict blade length limitations on school property (2.5").

A few places like Los Angeles have blade length limits on openly carried knives (they have to be under 3"), but there are exceptions for recreational activity like camping (no length limit).

And if you were just going to leave a knife in your vehicle there is no length limit on knives in vehicles as long as it's not a switchblade or butterfly knife with a blade 2" or longer in the driver or passenger area.

But it's not like they search you at the state line. As long as you aren't engaged in criminal activity, acting stupid, or trying to get a knife through a metal detector it's highly unlikely that you would encounter any problem as a result of carrying a knife in the state of California, believe it or not.

But it's not like they search you at the state line. As long as you aren't engaged in criminal activity, acting stupid, or trying to get a knife through a metal detector it's highly unlikely that you would encounter any problem as a result of carrying a knife in the state of California, believe it or not.
That pretty much sums it up well for California. I've carried a folder (2"-4") for decades and have never had a problem. When in doubt leave it in the car, and/or carry something less than 3".

Froe or hatchet for splitting wood.
When I was an over the road expedited box truck driver, I had deliveries or pick ups in all 48 of the Contenental States plus the Metro NYC to include Jamaica, NY/JFK, and DC with a Buck 110 on my belt, a 4 blade Scout/Camp/"Demo" knife clipped to a belt loop on a lanyard (not a fob) and at least two slipjoints (usually a large stockman and something else) in my pocket.

No one ever said a word to me about the knives they could see. Not even at the docks at places that didn't allow their employees to carry so much as a box knife. (Ford, for one)

I used to drive a box truck from coast to coast, and carried a serrated CS Vaquero Grande that I got at a flea market in Alameda CA. Good times

I also think a hatchet would be best to have for any camping related tasks, and if you're concerned about blade length you're pretty safe with a 2.5" rule of thumb. Me though, I'd learn the state laws and any major cities I'm planning on passing through.

Reactions: DMG
A SAK would be a good choice for a travel knife. Very few places would prohibit something like a Victorinox Spartan.

Add a hatchet or froe, along with a brightly colored Mora and you would be set. I personally would go with a froe over a hatchet myself.

"What race tracks have trees you can chop down to start fires?"

None that I've ever been to. However, the locals usually bundle-up and sell firewood for the race fans who are camping.

A multitool or small slicey knife, like a bugout...I'd favor the multitool since it comes in handy more often (cars).

Then, a medium fixed blade, like a 200 puukko or bark river, esee, etc. Can use a small hatchet, but I like to keep lightweight...and find hatchets hard to discreet carry it sticks out like a boner.

Everything is under 4 that way. I know some places have a 3in rule, those cant be helped you just gotta behave.

My buddy actually just took a round trip through NH and Maine, he carried a bugout and an old estwing with him. He has a kabar strapped to his ATV and a cold steel push dagger dangling from the mirror but never uses them.

Have fun!

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and kind responses. In the end, I'm just trying to make sure that I can meet my basic fire and food prep needs at the campsite, while also remaining legal as I travel through the country.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and kind responses. In the end, I'm just trying to make sure that I can meet my basic fire and food prep needs at the campsite, while also remaining legal as I travel through the country.
That is why I suggested the knives that I did.

The SAK makes a fine knife for general use and it works well as a small paring knife. The Mora is more than capable as a GP kitchen
blade. Both of these are probably $20 each, or less.

That just leaves the hatchet or froe.

Back