Blade mods thread

Hi all,
I was hoping you guys could post pictures in this thread (like a collective source) of blade modifications and a quick 'how to' ,kinda like Bushmans Landshark (love it!) so that all us Becker tragics can gain some inspiration to tackle our own.

Note that I would prefer this to remain as blade modifications, as handles seem well represented here, but I've read every thread here (I know, need a hobby) and there seems to be very little on this subject and it is very scattered. A lot of talented people here so lets see what you've got!

Cheers, Travin

well if people start listing all the mods in place (here), i'll do my part and point to it in the FAQ, how's that?

Bladite

i let mother nature mod my blades :D

nature_mod_01.jpg

and she does custom work that no custom, high-end knife maker can dream of matching:

nature_mod_02.jpg

i went back to the first page and surfed all the posts on this forum when i first started to get a feel for everyone here. aside from the landshark, stripped and convexed edges, everyone's mod is pretty much use and abuse these beckers like it insulted your mother on her birthday...when it didn't quit we went back home, sharpened & oiled it up, and went right back to abusing it.

not bashing anyone but there are other brands where users are more likely to have drawer queens and hence more aesthetic mods...but not these guys here.

i let mother nature mod my blades :D

and she does custom work that no custom, high-end knife maker can dream of matching:

i went back to the first page and surfed all the posts on this forum when i first started to get a feel for everyone here. aside from the landshark, stripped and convexed edges, everyone's mod is pretty much use and abuse these beckers like it insulted your mother on her birthday...when it didn't quit we went back home, sharpened & oiled it up, and went right back to abusing it.

not bashing anyone but there are other brands where users are more likely to have drawer queens and hence more aesthetic mods...but not these guys here.

I'm with you on this. I pretty much let normal use modify my blades.

While I have seen some pretty nifty modifications (go, Bushy, go!), I haven't seen all that many.

Why? What's the reason?

Well — and these are just my personal thoughts — I think it's simply because Ethan Becker is one heck of a knife designer. I think that people may sometimes buy Beckers expecting to modify them later but, after using them, just don't bother. Other than aesthetics, why would you need to modify anything that works so well straight out of the box? A Becker — right out of the box — does everything you want it to do, and does it exceedingly well.

Take it out of the box, use it, abuse it, and it'll love you for it.

Go ahead and strip it, polish it, change the scales — heck, put lipstick on it if you want — but those things are cosmetic. The blade is good just the way Ethan designed it.

Last edited:
I had the finish bead blasted. Custom black micarta handles with stainless pins. And thumb choil. All done by knifemaker Lamont Coombs.

I also had a custom leather sheath made by Wildmanh here on the forums.

I'd post pics but not seeming to work?

Last edited:
Well for me the plastic handles are slippery, especially when wet or you got sweat on your hands. And for me the sheath was lacking and I prefer leather. Also I plan on using my knife and didn't want to see scratched up paint. I don't see it as a badge of honor like others so I got it bead blasted. Doesn't mean it's a drawer queen.

I'm with you on this. I pretty much let normal use modify my blades.

While I have seen some pretty nifty modifications (go, Bushy, go!), I haven't seen all that many.

Why? What's the reason?

Well — and these are just my personal thoughts — I think it's simply because Ethan Becker is one heck of a knife designer. I think that people may sometimes buy Beckers expecting to modify them later but, after using them, just don't bother. Other than aesthetics, why would you need to modify anything that works so well straight out of the box? A Becker — right out of the box — does everything you want it to do, and does it exceedingly well.

Take it out of the box, use it, abuse it, and it'll love you for it.

Go ahead and strip it, polish it, change the scales — heck, put lipstick on it if you want — but those things are cosmetic. The blade is good just the way Ethan designed it.

Working now.

Attachments

• knife 1.jpg
    knife 1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 84
  • knife 2.jpg
    knife 2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 54
  • knife 4.jpg
    knife 4.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 43
Back