Blade patterns

Hi! I'm new here, and am looking for some advice. I came across this sword (link below) listed for sale. The listing describes the sword as 'damascus'. Going by the pitcures and my fairly limited knowledge, I'm fairly sure it isn't. But what is it? Does anyone know what technique might have been used to create the pattern in the centre of the blade, and does this provide any clues as to the material and method used to create the blade?

https://www.playwell.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23_107_207&products_id=7097

The description says it is a replica made of 420 steel, with a decorative pattern. That more or less says it all.

The description says it is a replica made of 420 steel, with a decorative pattern. That more or less says it all.
Agreed. Pattern would be somekind of etching, not real pattern weld. Method to create it would most likely be stock removal. Heat treat?; who knows. It would probably function well on the wall or as a kata form exercise device. Would not hit anything harder than air with it.

Thanks both. I read the description, but somehow missed the 420 steel specification.

I'm looking for a first buy, so I've just been learning about all the different kinds of steel today. Will exercise caution.

Thanks both. I read the description, but somehow missed the 420 steel specification.

I'm looking for a first buy, so I've just been learning about all the different kinds of steel today. Will exercise caution.

That's a wise way to proceed. First figure what you want to be able to do with it. Then read up on what can do that. To get you started if you want a "real" functional sword there are plenty of people on this forum that can make them and some dealers that sell factory made blades that are fully functional. They will NOT be cheap.

Back