Blade Show Bans Knife Magazine

The June Knife Magazine has a short story stating the Blade Show has banned them from having a booth. They are going to need to do more than that to keep from going down the drain. Their Sea of Mud Bowie series was a total scam to sell magazines.

The June Knife Magazine has a short story stating the Blade Show has banned them from having a booth. They are going to need to do more than that to keep from going down the drain. Their Sea of Mud Bowie series was a total scam to sell magazines.

Let me guess: you're in Knife Magazine's "camp".....

This is hilarious in a silly way if it's just because it's a competing magazine.

Knife Magazine is a cleaned up version of Knife World, basically "Son of Knife World" if you will. C Huston Price sold Knife World to protege Mark Zalesky, and Zalesky modernized it in a good way.

Now the funny part is C Huston Price is in the Blade Magazine HOF, and Zalesky probably would've wound up there too. Zalesky is quietly becoming a powerhouse in the small world of cutlery writing, etc..... Also, it's a bit of a slap in the face, as Zalesky has always been decent with his time and knowledge in benefit of Blade's magazine (and nearly all trade magazines in general). A quick PDF scan shows his name shows up in Blade 50+ times in various article quotes, photo courtesies, and other things.

Blade is having financial troubles, they closed down their forums. I stopped getting Blade a few years ago, but renewed a year ago when they had a "special price" <$25. They started reminding me monthly of my subscription renewal at the 6 month mark of a 12-month subscription. No other magazine I receive does this.

The magazine has more "trade" articles than in the past, trying to attract makers or wannabe makers, but the articles are not in-depth enough to be useful. Probably trying to cash in on the "Forged in Fire" BS. Their "sea of mud" scam article was so bad, the authors and Blade should be embarrassed. The articles are as bad as they were in the past and I was sadly reminded of why I ended my subscription in the first place. To many articles are blatant marketing pieces for their advertisers or just filler. Many articles repeat what the did before. The recent issue is about 75% commercial for Blade Show. I don't really want to pay money for marketing.

It's a shame they ban the only other knife magazine around, probably a sign that Blade is hitting the skids. Could there be a Blade Show w/o a Blade mag, or should I say "rag?"

Knife magazine has its problems as well. Zalesky gives too much space and a free-hand to Bruce Voyles. That man needs an editor. His recent political article on gun ownership I thought was not needed in a knife magazine.

Anyone want to clue me in as to what the twice-mentioned "sea of mud scam article" was?

Anyone want to clue me in as to what the twice-mentioned "sea of mud scam article" was?
I think it was an article they ran about finding Jim Bowie’s knife that most scientists and historians discounted. I haven’t read the articles but I’ve seen some discussion on them.

I think it was an article they ran about finding Jim Bowie’s knife that most scientists and historians discounted. I haven’t read the articles but I’ve seen some discussion on them.

Took a quick look at it. No sillier than a lot of other claims about Bowie knives. So I wouldn't hold that, in particular, against them.

As far as the rest of it...Blade Show is run by Blade Magazine. Of course that don't want the competition there at their show.

Took a quick look at it. No sillier than a lot of other claims about Bowie knives. So I wouldn't hold that, in particular, against them.

As far as the rest of it...Blade Show is run by Blade Magazine. Of course that don't want the competition there at their show.
I feel it is a mark of excellence to welcome the competition at an event such as the Blade Show. I suspect Blade is having financial problems. A lot of print magazines are that you pay for. Newspapers also are struggling and are pretty much forced to have an online presence. Nobody (few) wants to pay for access to a newspaper website. I suppose the Wall Street Journal may be an exception. Probably will drop my subscription to the local paper and go strictly online even if I have to pay for access. I can buy a Sunday paper and if you clip coupons, Thursdays and Sundays seem to be the days for that.

Back