Blade Show Rant

I can understand your irritation. However, the person you should be talking to is the exhibitor you went to see. An email or phoine call in advance would have also helped.

It has been a long time since I was at Blade, but this has happened many times. There was a big name and high priced dealer directly behind me. He sold the four knives he had brough in a few hours .. for a total of well over $50K. He left his table and put out his photos and contact info .. and I didn't see him again the rest of the weekend. When we packed and left Sunday afternoon the stuff was still on the table. I have seen him at other shows where he comes and puts a knife in the judging, picks i up after the judges are done looking them over ... and leaves. He never picks up his trophy or shows up again that weekend.

An email to the promoters would help future issues, but I would aslo check thatnthe seller didn't have a family emergency that he had to return for.

Another thing to consider is that some Sought after makers have knives already spoken for on display and are waiting for the customer to pick up. My experience at Blade is that the First Day is a Feeding Frenzy for the Top Makers. There are so many great designs that a Trip to Blade should include a LIST of Makers so if you miss at one table your time is not wasted, and you may get Lucky at another table or in a Raffle!

I'll pile on here. I went on Saturday morning at 10:30. My son and I drove around Cobb Galleria for 30 minutes and there was absolutely ZERO parking. The security guards were no help. They just kept waving us on by closed lots. We ended leaving. VERY FRUSTRATING.

I've been to the Blade Show every year for the last 10 years. Every year it gets worse. The parking is terrible and the venue is even worse. I probably will not go back. I would love to see the Blade Show move to a better, more suitable venue such as the Gwinnett Arena or the World Congress Center.

When I had a table at blade West last year we where required to stay till the end. Now there was no one to stop you from leaving but it was in the contract. I don’t understand leaving early personally and I think it’s inappropriate.

Quite a few people packed up and left Saturday afternoon, contract or no.

You might should have made an appointment...

As a Blade Show exhibiter for the past 37 (yes Every One) I consider it a matter of good ethetics to be at my table during advertised hours. Blade should insist exhibiter not leave under threat of removal from show eligibility. In my opinion the show has become a circus and has gotten just too big. That's my two cents worth!!!!

I'll pile on here. I went on Saturday morning at 10:30. My son and I drove around Cobb Galleria for 30 minutes and there was absolutely ZERO parking. The security guards were no help. They just kept waving us on by closed lots. We ended leaving. VERY FRUSTRATING.

I've been to the Blade Show every year for the last 10 years. Every year it gets worse. The parking is terrible and the venue is even worse. I probably will not go back. I would love to see the Blade Show move to a better, more suitable venue such as the Gwinnett Arena or the World Congress Center.
I've said for years they should run a shuttle from Suntrust arena.

Let's hear from someone who exhibits at Blade. Do they require exhibitors to stay for the whole show? I have never exhibited at a show which did not require exhibitors to stay for the whole show. Most shows will not let you back next year if you leave early.
The guy was in violation of his contract with the show promoters and is a poor example of professionalism.
People take time out of their lives, travel many miles and spend many hundreds of dollars to see the people who are SUPPOSED to be there.
Last year I sold my last knife upon the opening of the door on day one - Friday.
I was still there on Sunday at closing time.
That vendor apparently is above the rules and couldn't care less about his success or reputation.
He also does not understand that an empty table sells a lot of knives.

The economy is good right now but if it takes a down turn and they don't sell out tables I'm sure there will be no enforcement.

At blade West it was slim pickings on Saturday. I could look all the way across the empty tables and wave to Bruce bump lol. I don’t understand it personally. I felt bad that we had to leave 2 hrs befor closing but we had to drive back home that night. We had fun and enjoyed the trip. I can’t imagine paying all that money and just leaving.

I don’t know where you’re located in proximity to Blade Show vs the maker’s shop, but maybe you can contact the maker and see him directly at his shop for a day. Get some one on one time with him.

Personally, I think it’s poor taste if he left early just because he sold out, but what are you gonna do? There’s about 1000 other exhibitors to spend time and money on.

I have purchased a number of high end blades at shows. I've always left my blade with the exhibitor so he can continue to show it through the rest of the show (most of my purchases take place during the first few hours of the show).
I usually have the stipulation that it not be handled. The decision of a smith to sell out, clear the table, and leave, is a business decision, and in my opinion a poor one if his goal is to get the best return from his show investment.
However, if his docket is full and he is no longer looking for additional or higher end customers perhaps to quickly sell out and skadoodle is the best return.
You never know who might come by your table to chat and see your work. Oh, and when I did have intention to meet someone at a show I do usually call them and let them know.

The guy was in violation of his contract with the show promoters and is a poor example of professionalism.
People take time out of their lives, travel many miles and spend many hundreds of dollars to see the people who are SUPPOSED to be there.
Last year I sold my last knife upon the opening of the door on day one - Friday.
I was still there on Sunday at closing time.
That vendor apparently is above the rules and couldn't care less about his success or reputation.
He also does not understand that an empty table sells a lot of knives.

And as a newer knife maker I was truly appreciative that you stayed last year. You graciously spent time talking with me on Sunday afternoon, you unrolled sold knives and allowed me to see and handle them, and you gave me advice on my knives and knife making in general. It meant a great deal to me and I thank you for staying and continuing to engage with people there.

This year I stood at the table of a mentor of mine and watched him sell several knives to a new client that ranged from $400-$1000 at 1PM on Sunday. It happened because of time spent in conversation and the simple fact that he stuck around.

I am the OP. Many threads indicated I should have called, made an appointment, etc. I tried to reach him via Instagram with no luck. He was unresponsive to two messages I sent even though he’s on there daily. I figured my best bet for communication, I felt, was a face to face with him at his booth. I’m sure his business isn’t going to suffer one bit if I never buy one. With his advertising of Blade Show attendance and “come visit me at booth xyz123” I figured “Here’s my chance”....

He might could have been more forthcoming on his instagram and told folks “my knife lotteries will be drawn for at noon and then afterward I’m outta here like a fat kid in dodgeball”.

I’m sure he builds a great knife...it’s very obvious. But he needs to learn a little more about PR.

Agree with OP...he has an obligation to his customers to be there. He is the one who wanted to showcase his knives to the public, he DOES owe his time if he committed to have a booth. I wouldn’t buy a damn thing from him either...

Send this guy to the Wine and cheese section, Ill provide some crackers...

Okay now time to go back and see some knife making discussions.

Back