Blade Wobble: What do you think?

A) How important is Blade Wobble, and B) How much does it bother you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

black mamba

Gold Member
I'm curious to see just how much blade wobble bothers the traditional crowd. It seems to be a VERY big deal to the modern OHO folks, but doesn't get a lot of chatter around here. There are two parts to the poll: please choose one from the first three A responses, and also choose one from the last three B responses, for two overall votes.

Personally, I rarely check for it, unless I feel it in use. Otherwise it just isn't important to me. I've had more knives that needed the pivot loosened than tightened in my fairly large experience. If noticeable, I'd say it only bothers me a little.

Thanks for voting!

On a new knife, it would be a non-starter for me. Used or old knife, I think you should kind of expect it.

Does it bother me? Yes. Probably the toughest thing I deal with when working on any knife. Often, there is a trade off between the action on the blade and being able to eliminate blade play.

It mostly bothers me on locking knives. I buy a locking knives to have it "locked" into position, so any blade wobble makes me feel like the lock isn't doing a proper job. I can live with a slight bit of wobble on knives, but I don't like it when the blade is just flopping around.

Not a bad question to ask Jeff.

I don't like wobble, whether on a user or collection knife. On a collection knife it's not a deal breaker though it bothers me. With old knives it's hard to be picky, sometimes you get what you get and have to settle with it. On a using knife I can live with a tiny bit of wobble, but too much and that knife is not going to get used and likely find a new home.

Speaking strictly of traditionals, I don't really check for blade play (maybe if I feel something during use)...but, unless it's something I've been waiting a while for, I'm not likely to buy one that I know has play.

How much does it bother me? Depends on the knife. On a favorite knife that I've owned and used for years - it's not a big deal. On a knife I haven't "bonded with", it would bother me enough to leave it, forgotten, in a drawer.

I always check for noticeable blade wobble and it bothers me a lot.
I've been carrying and using pocket knives for 5+ decades. In my experience blade wobble is something that might develop after years of use.
I don't want a new knife that feels like an old knife. If I buy one that does, it gets returned.

It would bother me, but luckily as of right now none of my traditional folders exhibit this behavior. I would love to hear the porch's remedies and methods to fixing this issue. I'm guessing it isn't as simple as striking the pivot with a mallet?

image.jpg If I feel it during use, I showed a friend of mine a modern folder probably a decade ago (small reg sebbie) and he literally bent at the waist and rolled his shoulders trying to find some play (To my horror). The man was 6’3 and probably shy of 400 pounds.

I don’t usually hand somebody my traditional knives for this reason and a few others.
Obligatory knife pic

Some thoughts on the subject from a maker -

This is really an interesting thread. You'd think a mechanical device as simple as a pocket knife would be easy to get to work perfectly every time one dropped off the end of the production line, but apparently they aren't that easy. One thing that bugs me a little bit about the use of "blade play" or "wobble" to describe side to side movement of folder blades is the fact that rarely is that movement quantified in any way during the discussion. maybe it can't or shouldn't be quantified since some believe it is unacceptable. If the liners are hard against the tang, there won't be any play but the action will be lazy and you won't have crisp movement or snap, walk n talk, etc of the blade. There has to be SOME RELIEF in the pivot area or the knife just won't work like we expect them to. If the spring is too weak in a knife, chances are it's going to be more difficult for the maker to achieve a play-free joint. The spring load needs to overcome the friction of the liners pressing against the spring and tang to achieve a play-free joint. Make the spring load too high, broken springs can occur, and have. Make them too weak and they're slackening the joints to get good blade action. This can be where "excessive play" is introduced. I'm of the opinion that some play is necessary and that the ideal situation is that blade play is darn near imperceptable. However, I would rather have a knife with "slight play" that worked rather than one that was too tight and sluggish? As some have said, a little play doesn't hurt the function of the knife. I wish I knew of a way to quantify acceptable blade play but I think every knife is different when it gets put together. In this thread some have said it doesn't bother them while others have said any play is unacceptable so we aren't going to agree on a correct answer. All I know is, whatever gives bouancy to your particular water craft is whut ya got right there. I particularly enjoyed this comment by Knifeswapper: You try this one time and you will probably never complain again, as it will become obvious what a time-consuming art getting this perfect joint requires. Boy is that the truth! I'll go one further and say, try putting together a slip joint kit or better yet, make one from scratch and tell us how that goes. :thumbup: PS. I thought you all might like to see how to introduce blade play into your very own slip joint. If it seems to be going a little slow....use a bigger hammer. This is actually one way to slacken the liner pressure against the tang.

and

...when folks talk about blade play, I think they need to quantify it in some way because I have seen varying degrees of it in hand made and production knives and I have no way to relate that to the subject of blade play as it is discussed in this or the other threads that exist on the subject. How much side to side blade play is acceptable? Some say "none" and some say "a little bit". How much is "none" and how much is "a little bit"? Oh, and...I almost forgot "wobble". How much is "wobble"? I maybe think about pocket knives and how they work a bit differently than your basic knife lover since I have built a few. I think of blade play in terms of tenths of thousandths of an inch. You have to have that kind of blade play to make a knife work. That kind of "blade play" can't be seen or felt in side to side movement, but, can only be noticed in the way that the knife works or how some describe as "snappy". What I am saying is "blade play" is needed for a pocket knife to open and close snappy. From my point of view, knowing every pocket knife that I put together is going to be slightly different, I don't know 100% how the knife will work until that last pin is peined or spun. That's really the point in which I know for sure how much play will be in the blade. At that juncture, I have to decide if the play is acceptable enough in my mind to pass on to a buyer or do I give it away. I'm of the opinion that a knife isn't a total loss if you can feel a little play. As far as any knife that I would make, I strive for no detectable(play you can't feel in side to side movement) blade play. But, if I put together a knife and can FEEL some slight movement but the knife operates smoothly with good snap, I would rather have some detectable blade play and have a good working knife than have a sluggishly operating blade. Whether hand made or production, the buyer needs to make the final decision on just how much is acceptable to them. We could try to quantify acceptable play on a production knife as this; the blade tip can be pushed one way or the other 1/4 of the available space in either direction and it STAYS there. How much do you really like the knife? If you really like it, you might accept a wee bit more..maybe up to 1/3 play. I'd say anything over that would be too much in any knife and I would try to get it fixed or replaced. Why do I still feel like I am?

It bothers me enough that I learned how to tighten a joint, peen a pin, and sand the pin down flush with the bolster. It's relatively easy to do, and now I never have to worry about wobbly blades again. I feel the same way about blades that aren't crinked quite properly, and now adjust them accordingly. These two meager skills, along with learning how to reset an edge bevel, go a long way toward creating exceptional vintage knives out of what would ordinarily be considered disappointing aftermarket purchases.

Just to clarify, I can live with a small amount of blade play. But what I consider to be wobble is entirely different. If I can feel the play during use, it's wobble. If play causes one blade to scratch against another while opening or closing, then it's wobble. If I shake the frame, with the blade(s) either open or closed, and can feel or hear the blade move, it's wobble.

Last edited:
It’s not the first thing I check for on a new knife, but if I notice it when I’m using it and it was severe, it’d bug me to no end. A little wobble is a nonissue, a lot is more of a disappointment than anything else. It’s still useable, but I’d have a hard time not noticing it from there on.

It is something I check on new knives. For traditional knives a tiny bit if movement laterally is ok. I have fixed blade wobble on a handful of traditional knives with a vice and hammer to peen, and sand.

It is not a deal breaker for me on production traditionals. For a higher priced custom, it would be.

But there are some real "deal" or inexpensive custom tradirionlas where I would accept it. Some can be had at near production prices..... in one of those, I'd be willing to accept a little blade play because you are getting a hand made knife, at a production price.....

When I was at a show one year I met Ken Daniels and he taught me some important things about knives. One of those things is when you check for play hold the blade near the tang instead of torquing on the end of the blade. This tells you all you need to know whether it has play or not.

The end of the blade obviously has more leverage and it will flex the pivot and some of the "play" can actually be flex in the blade rather than the pivot. If you torque on the end of the blade a bunch checking for play it can develop play where it otherwise would have been fine.

A1 and B2 for me. I don't like a blade that easily wobbles, and have adjusted a couple that came to me that way. I've learned it's a matter of degrees with some traditional pocket knives, though. When I grab a blade at the end near it's point, I have the mechanical advantage to wobble some knives that would seem to be tight enough if grabbed just above the tang, for instance.

I just wanna see if it's loose...not make it loose! :eek:

When I was at a show one year I met Ken Daniels and he taught me some important things about knives. One of those things is when you check for play hold the blade near the tang instead of torquing on the end of the blade. This tells you all you need to know whether it has play or not.

The end of the blade obviously has more leverage and it will flex the pivot and some of the "play" can actually be flex in the blade rather than the pivot. If you torque on the end of the blade a bunch checking for play it can develop play where it otherwise would have been fine.

I'm glad you posted this. A few years ago in another thread on blade wobble I said this:

"You are going to think this is silly - possibly stupid BUT remember the old trick of holding a long, lead, pencil between your thumb and forefinger and then moving your hand up and down? It gives the appearance that the pencil is bending but in reality, it isn't.

I think that happens sometimes when we (me included) hold a knife by the frame and then hold a/the blade between our thumb and forefinger. The flex/padding of our thumb and forefinger gives the appearance sometimes of back and forth blade movement.

I've noticed this when testing a few of my knives in the past - no movement but just the illusion of movement."

Last edited:
If I can feel the blade move side to side on a new slipjoint, it is a deal breaker for me. Just as a "nail breaker" pull is.
There is no excuse for it on a new knife.

I have a couple vintage/antique knives with perceptable blade wiggle. They do not get used or carried. Those that have no wiggle may or may not get used; it depends on the knife.

On a two blade knife or other multiple blade knife you can push the tip of a liner into the blade with wobble and eliminate the wobble. Just a touch will do it and will not be noticeable unless looked at closely. I wouldn't do this on a safe queen but on an EDC it's not a problem.

Back