Bladeforums BEST BOWIE 2014 - Voting CLOSED - Finalists Selected!

Post#3 Knife#1 Ben Seward : Sub-Hilt Bowie
Post#15 Knife#1 Tembo

I wish you all a Happy New Year !

3-2 White
3-3 Rhea
8-1 Quisenberry
15 Tembo
39-2 Lurquin
46-1 D.E.HENRY.
117 Branson

an some great stuff here lets do this
post 3 # 1 Bens sub hilt this kid is hot
post3 #2 John White I loved this knife from the moment I saw it , I like his dog bones but this knife really spoke to me
post 8 # 1 Mike Q's MS test dog bone you really had to hold this knife to get the full impact wow.
post 15 tempo what can I say just look at it Daaaaame
post 25 John Doyle damascus I really like what John did with this one really nice flow
Post 29#1 Bing this damascus is just to cool and I really liked the knife.
post 37 #1 love this knife ;)

1. Post #1, knife #1 - Sam Lurquin Tsavo

Textbook badass, plain and simple. To echo Joe's philosophy, this is the one I'd want if I needed to defend my life, hands down.

2. Post #3, knife #3 - Lin Rhea Southland Bowie

Stunning guard work and effortless flow that is a Rhea bowie.

3. Post #86, knife #1 - David Lisch Ring Guard Bowie

Perfect choice of materials and elegance for miles. You could tell me that the butt cap is a natural extension of the stag and i just might believe you. Also note how the heel of the blade transitions into the guard. Incredible.

4. Post #117 - Stuart Branson Fusion Bowie

I could write pages about my feelings on this piece. World class attention to detail, aesthetic and execution. This appeals to my personal tastes immensely and it would be my pick if I could own any of these.

5. Post #122, knife #1 - CAS Persian Bowie

No doubt who made this one, unmistakably Claudio and his style lends itself perfectly to this arena. I chose the Persian because its big, nasty and beautiful. The contrast throughout give this one hell of a presence but the blade steals the show. Size, shape and grinds are ballsy, and I can appreciate that.

Last edited:
1 - 1 - Tsavo Lurquin

6 - 1 - Wheeler

6 - 2 - Killer Instinct Lurquin

39 - 3 - Knight Fullered

40 - 1 - Lurquin

56 - 1 - Seward

86 - 7 - White

Last edited:
Tough to chose as always.
in no particular order;

-Post 3 #2 John White. Sleek lines and so much color and detail........not usually a fan of multi bar Damascus but this piece is exceptional.

-Post 8 #1 Mike Quesenberry .......what can I say.......dogbone and Damascus.

-Post 35 #1 Lin Rhea "Southland"........big and bad without being blocky, great Damascus and awesome stag.

-Post 15 #1 Tembo .......incredible collaboration......plus I'm a sucker for silver sheaths and relief scroll engraving.

-Post 31 #4 Ben Seward. In my mind, as close to the perfect "bowie" blade shape as possible, and the checkered handle is beautiful.

-Post 117 #1 Stuart Branson Hybrid..Absolutely crazy to be able to blend genre's so well......and still every inch a bowie.

-Post 86 #7 John White Dogbone. He did these as well as anyone, anywhere, ever. The epitome of classic style, flawlessly executed.

Darcy:)

I thought it was going to be tough this year, and then it really wasn't. There are a lot of knives here I really like that won't fit into a limit of seven. That's always going to be true.

3-3......Lin Rhea

15-1....Multiple Makers

35-2....Samuel Lurquin

37-2....Dave Lisch

49-1....Gerhard Wieland

56-1....Ben Seward

117-1..Stuart Branson

Mike

Lurquin Tsavo, post 1, knife one specifically (not that it matters) on the strength of that hamon, which is the most flame-like I think I've ever seen.
Wieland, "Big Fighter with Walrus", post 49. It's so, so flowing and everything just glows from within. Plus, the hamon is nuts.
Dave Lisch, post 81, knife 1. Dave has a blacksmith's sensibility with fittings, which shows to great advantage here.
Adam DesRosiers, post 50, knife 1, "Orc Angel". Multibar madness, and integral to boot! A vulgar display of power.
John White, Post 86, knife 7, Dogbone bowie. Because John white, that's why.
Stuart Branson, Post 117. It's such a cerebral knife really, but looks natural in the end. What a success.
Mike Quesenberry, Post 8, knife 1, Dogbone bowie. I don't know how there are two dogbones in my votes, as I don't really like them much in general... but Mike's work has gotten CRAZY good and this knife is an absolute testament of that.

This is one of the best years I've seen yet. Killer work, everybody! It was very hard for me to choose.

This is my most difficult year of voting.

Post 1 #1 Sam Lurquin Tsavo

Post 39 #3 Jason Knight fuller

Post 42 #1 Kyle Gahagan.

Post 42 #2 CAS

Post 50 #1 Adam Desrosiers.

Post 50 #4 Scott McGhee

Post 86 #7 John White Dogbone.

Last edited:
#3 item 2 John White
#4 item 1 Kyle Royer
#15 item Tembo Russ Andrews
#46 item3 Harald Moeller
#46 item 6 Brian Chovanec
#122 item 1 Cas
#122 item 2 CAS

just so many great knives. Wish I could own many of them. Again thanks to Roger and Lorien for their efforts in this annual wonderful event showing some of the greatest knives and knifemakers. Glad that there are images for all collectors and makers to enjoy as few of us would have seen many of the knives in person. Congrats to all the makers, collectors and contributors to this terrific thread. Have a Happy New Year and enjoy 2015 as another terrific year hopefully to look forward to the purchasing of more great cutlery.

I wish I had so many of these great knives. So much talent! There are knives that display almost perfect precision some that personify brutal appeal and others that display forging mastery.

In order of the way they were nominated.

Royer 1-2

White 3-2

Rhea 3-3

Royer 4-1

Lisch 13

Collaboration (Tembo) 15

Seward 31-4

Chris

Toughest year I can remember.

1) Sam Lurquin Tsavo, 1, #1.
2) Russ Andrews Subhilt, 1, #3.
3) John White Subhilt, 3, #2.
4) Don Hanson Bad Boy, 86, #2.
5) Ben Seward Checkered Handle, 31, #4.
6) Sam Lurquin Raptor XL, 35, #2.
7) Kyle Royer Clamshell, 4, #1.

Hope this works. I hate using a phone.
Wonderful pieces this year! I could come up with another 7.

- Joe

Beautiful knives this year, as always!!Here's my selections of the ones that spoke the loudest to me and my tastes.
Post#1,#4 Mike Ruth Jr.
Post#2,#4 Terry Vandeventer
Post#!3, Dave Lisch
Post#31,#4 Ben Seward,
Post#37,#1 Dave Lisch
Post#86,#7 John White
Post#2,#3 Lin Rhea

Hello!

Glad I made it in time for the voting this year (heavy snow storms cut off all outside communcation and prevented me from nominating as well... :mad: )! :)

Using the benefit of open again roads to do some shopping for the holidays before the shops close, I can only sneak in my votes from my mobile device now. Hope tp be able to add some more thoughts later on. No particular order.

4-1 - Kyle Royer

5-1 - John Cohea

13 -1 Dave Lisch

48 - 1 - Gerhard Wieland

122 - 1 Claudio and Ariel Sobral / CAS

All the best,
Alex

Not much of a presence for me this year end, little time and even less money ...
I belatedly discovered the contest ...
My choices:

Post #1, Knife #1- Samuel Lurquin / Tsavo Project
A knife that I had the pleasure to have on hand in several versions, a wonder

Post #3, Knife #2- John White - Ivory & Damascus Bowie
What Else, Damascus, Material, assembly

Post #111, Knife #1- Adam DesRosiers
I had the chance to have that knife in hand, in spit of its large size, the proportions are perfect... A beast..

Post #117, Knife #1- Stuart Branson
Again I like the way Stuart style mix.

Post #57, Knife #1- Don Hanson III
Perfect lines, something modern...

Fantastic knives all around. Hard to choose.

Post 1 Pic #1 Tsavo by Lurquin. What's not to like?
Post 6 #1 Wheeler/Paranee Clean. Just wonderfully clean and precise.
Post 11 Quesenberry Great bog oak.
Post 31 #4 Seward
Post 48 Wieland
Post 87 #5 Hanson Just great flow to this knife.

In order of listing:

1-1 Lurquin Tsavo - Aggressive and cohesive from tip to butt, just looks mean and functional

3-2 White Walrus and Damascus - Sleek, beautiful, technical perfection with understated elegance

4-1 Royer Shell Guard Hanger - One of Kyle's best with noticeable advancement in engraving

6-1 Wheeler Fighting Bowie - Looks like my idea of a working Bowie, clean and "simple"

49-1 Wieland Walrus - Incredible flowing sculpture and matching components

56-1 Seward Carbon Fiber - Great combination of old and new, love the hamon

122-1 CAS Persian Bowie - I really like Persians and the flow and components all complement the style very well

Tough job making choices, especially with the varied styles, multiple entries from several makers and differences on photo quality. I could probably change 3-4 of my selections if I did this again tomorrow. Thanks to all involved for making this such a rewarding exercise.

John White 3 #2
Mike Quesenberry Bog Oak 11-1
Tembo 15-1
Ben Seward checkered 31-4
Gerhard Wieland walrus/hamon 49-1
Dave Lisch ring guard 86-1
John White 86-7

Great job guys - keep 'em coming - every vote matters. I've seen a knife make it on the last vote cast.

Post 48 #1 Wieland
Post 1 #1 Lurquin
Post 3 #1 Seward
Post 35 #2 Lurquin
Post 111 # 2 Lynch
Post 117 #1 SBranson
Post49 #2 Wieland

Back