BladeForums Exclusive!!! Kershaw's Onion Chive Folder

Fudo and others - sorry for the delay in the steel answer. Between the holidaze and everyone full speed ahead on SHOT preps, it's been tough getting answers out of anyone at any production company
smile.gif

The steel is 420HC.

A knife of this size won't get used in the same manner as a Boa or Avalanche, so IMO 420HC is more appropriate. Not to mention it holds the cost down and it is a steel that is very conducive to fine blanking.

------------------
Proud member of AKTI, NCCKG, NCKK, and SCAK

In memory of James K. Mattis

OK- The SHOT Show has come & gone- any word on the little Chive folder? Price? Delivery Date? My tax return $ is becoming spoken for & the check hasn't even arrived yet!

------------------
"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" (Celtic Proverb)
AKTI# A000107

Does anyone have any news on the new Kershaw/Onion collaborations? Any news of WHEN they come?

i'm def gonna have to get myself one of those when they come out. I love my boa, but it's not very sheeple friendly. This ones definitely going to be competing with the new BM Griptillian for my money; so many knives, so little cash! I don't know very much about 420HC, what steel could it be compared to? Thanks, sorry if i'm a bit OT. Pete

------------------
Pete Jenkins
Lefties unite!

Pete - 420HC is comparable to AUS6M. 420HC sharpens up fairly quickly and is easy to maintain a keen edge but it does not hold an edge as long as the higher grades of stainless (e.g. AUS-8, 440A, 440C, etc). For entry level to mid-range knives (though, IMHO mostly entry level) this is a good choice because folks who would be buying the majority of those knives will be starting out in knife collecting and sooner or later will have to learn the basics of how to resharpen a blade. Also, 420Hc is a steel that is very conducive to blanking (stamping) as opposed to laser cutting, so the savings can be passed onto the customer. Hope this info helps!

------------------
Proud member: AKTI, NCCKG, NCKK, and SCAK

Living life on the edge

Back