Blades upon Books - Traditionals

QTwr7Q0.jpeg

Txy76TJ.jpeg

I read Jack Reacher #3, Tripwire, a couple of weeks ago, I think for the second time. I remembered that at the start of the book, Reacher was digging swimming pools by hand in Key West, which made him even more muscular than he usually is. That turned out to be important in the climactic "showdown" at the end of the book. I also remembered that Reacher became reacquainted with his mentor's daughter, whom he hadn't seen since she was a 15-year-old fifteen years earlier. I remembered almost nothing else of the book! It was a great read for me.
child.tripwire.jpeg

- GT

I read Jack Reacher #3, Tripwire, a couple of weeks ago, I think for the second time. I remembered that at the start of the book, Reacher was digging swimming pools by hand in Key West, which made him even more muscular than he usually is. That turned out to be important in the climactic "showdown" at the end of the book. I also remembered that Reacher became reacquainted with his mentor's daughter, whom he hadn't seen since she was a 15-year-old fifteen years earlier. I remembered almost nothing else of the book! It was a great read for me.
View attachment 2516064

- GT
GT, It all started with the “Killing Floors”. Reacher is a bad man and then some!

ETA: I'm obviously totally dazed and confused by this "attachments limit" situation, as indicated by my posting beverage photos in a book thread! :eek: o_O:rolleyes::(

Just testing an alternate way of posting an image. Looks like it worked, but I'm not sure I can replicate it.

I'll try another image down here. OK, looks like I have to paste in my image link while I have this "editor" toggled to BB code, and then when I toggle BB code off, the image link transforms into an actual image. Don't understand WHY, but I hope I can at least remember HOW! 🤓 :rolleyes:

- GT

Last edited:
Another book from Bill James that's NOT about baseball. He writes about some of America's most famous (at least when they occurred) murders. He also has interesting passages about police procedures, courts and trials, news media throughout the history of the U.S.A.
(He discusses the JFK assassination, and seems to favor what I consider one of the wackiest theories: Kennedy was killed when the automatic weapon carried by one for the Secret Service agents in the trailing car discharged accidentally when the protective detail started scrambling around after hearing Oswald's gunshots.)

- GT

I recognize the name of this "militant group", but don't remember much about them.
Your copper Mercator is very handsome, Will! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I recently re-read the first couple of novels in a series featuring Alex McKnight, a former professional baseball player and former Detroit cop who now makes a living renting out cabins in Michigan's Upper Peninsula in a village named Paradise, not far from Sault Ste. Marie. I had forgotten how annoying the main character could be. Interesting stories, though.

- GT

I recognize the name of this "militant group", but don't remember much about them.
Your copper Mercator is very handsome, Will! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I recently re-read the first couple of novels in a series featuring Alex McKnight, a former professional baseball player and former Detroit cop who now makes a living renting out cabins in Michigan's Upper Peninsula in a village named Paradise, not far from Sault Ste. Marie. I had forgotten how annoying the main character could be. Interesting stories, though.

- GT
I just finished Let It Burn. I don't find Alex to be annoying. I do think he gets beat up entirely too much. Kind of like Rockford ;)

Nice buff horn, GT!
I appreciate the kind words, Jeff; that's the only Bruckmann I have. :cool::thumbsup::cool:

My recollection is that they were children of the wealthy who felt guilty about their privileged existence and warred against their parents' class.
Pretty seriously, too.
COg0RpM.jpg
Thanks for the info; sounds familiar. :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I just finished Let It Burn. I don't find Alex to be annoying. I do think he gets beat up entirely too much. Kind of like Rockford ;)
See, I think he gets beat up about as much as he should, given how annoying he is! :rolleyes:;)🤓

- GT

The West German govt. obviously thought Baader-Meinhof were serious and not just cosmetic radicals...They and the RAF may have spouted the then trendy Marxist-Leninist line, as most do about Globalization today ;) But in many ways the faction was much more like c19th Anarchists: direct overthrow of the state by force. Unlike contemporary terror groups who target civilians, B-M and RAF carried out bank raids, kidnapping, assassination of top politicians, bankers, police, military, judges, taking over embassies, targeting military bases etc. Most of the leaders were captured, some committed 'suicide', three of them Baader, Raspe, Enßlin were found dead in their cells. 2 had shot themselves the other hanged, rather mysterious as they had been in total solitary confinement for 2 years but had apparently hidden pistols and hanging aparatus...some said it was judicial murder. Other members repented but some not, in February of this year the German govt arrested a pensioner in her late 70s in a Berlin suburb on suspicion of her having been 'sympathetic' to the movement.

symMEkl.jpg

Back