"Blast From The Past" Gasoline (Petrol) Prices

geothorn

Banned
I tell ya, gasoline prices, these days, makes me think that buying a motorcycle or a moped might be a good idea....

Here's a quote from a television station's web page, listing viewers' reports of 'cheap' gasoline prices for 87 octane "regular" unleaded, from late July, 2001, in the Ohio Valley:
Friday, July 20, 2001

Shell, Kings Mills Road, Mason: $.92
Shell, Beechmont Avenue: $1.18

Thursday, July 19, 2001

Speedway, Anderson Ferry Rd.: $1.17
UDF, Farifield Ave, Bellevue, Ky.: $1.15
Shell, Madison and Edwards, Norwood: $.99
UDF, Beechmont and Burney: $1.18
Speedway, I-71 and Ridge Road: $1.24

Wednesday, July 18, 2001

Speedway, I-71 and Ridge Road: $1.24
UDF, Anderson Ferry Rd and River Road, Delhi: $1.19
Speedway, I-71 and Kings Mills Road: $1.16
BP, I-71 and Kings Mills Road: $1.17
Shell, I-71 and Kings Mills Road: $1.17
Thrifty, Milford: $1.12
Speedway, Milford: $1.12
Kroger's, Milford: $1.12
BP, I-74 and North Bend Road: $1.22
Shell, Route 50 and Bielby Road, Lawrenceburg: $1.29
Clark, Route 50, Lawrenceburg: $1.17
Swifty, Route 50, Aurora: $1.17
BP, Route 50, Aurora: $1.18
Speedway, New Haven Road, Harrison: $1.19
Speedway, 5 corners, Milford: $1.12
UDF, 5 corners, Milford: $1.12
Ameristop, Route 28, Milford: $1.12
Exxon, Route 28, Milford: $1.15
BP, Route 28, Milford: $1.16
Shell, Route 28, Milford: $1.16

Tuesday, July 17, 2001

Dairy Mart, Route 28, Goshen: $1.12
Meijer, Montgomery Road and Fields Ertel Road: $1.25
UDF, Route 50 and Roundbottom Road: $1.17
BP Station, Five Mile Road and Beechmont Avenue: $1.25
Jo Mart, Route 42 and 741: $1.19

Monday, July 16, 2001

Meijer, Route 28, Milford: $1.10
Have we invented a time machine, yet, that can fit both me and my Chevy...?

GeoThorn

Whe I was little, petrol was 2/6d (12.5p, or about 22 cents current rate) per Imperial gallon.

When I first started to drive, it was about 35p per Imperial gallon.

Now it is about £1.00 per litre, or £4.50 (about $8.00) per Imperial gallon.

We used to have the cheapest fuel in Europe, until the last Conservative government decided to increase fuel duty to encourage us to use public transport. A policy contined by Labour. We now have perhaps the most expensive petrol in Europe and the difference in diesel is even greater. However, the extra revenue has not been invested in public transport, in particular the rail network, which is groaning under the strain of carring more passengers than ever. So we mostly still have to use our cars regardless.

Andy.

It is already more than $3 here in California. I would buy a motorcycle, but too many stupid drivers in the L.A. area. I tell you I have lived all over the U.S. and the craziest drivers have to be where I end up settling down.

My first car, a 1966 VW sedan, filled up for just a hair over 2.00. My first motorcycle, a Honda 90, would never take more than .50 cents worth!

That was about 1968....

I remember price wars in the Ozarks. 14 cents a gallon, and they would give you a towel or a glass if you filled up.
Of course, we were only making $40.00 a week then.

Oh, yeah, I'd forgotten about all the free glassware they used to dish out before the 1973 fuel crisis!

Andy

filled my new toyota corolla friday-40.9 mpg:)
being in the trades i have to drive,no public transportation available-

When i was in high school, I worked at a gas station.
I remeber price wars with the station across the street, and I would have to change the price signs.

The lowest that I remember was 17.9 cents/gallon.

And we gave away glassware.

Of course, that was pre-1973 gas.

and pre-Carter cents.

:D

Death's Head said:
It is already more than $3 here in California. I would buy a motorcycle, but too many stupid drivers in the L.A. area. I tell you I have lived all over the U.S. and the craziest drivers have to be where I end up settling down.

Come to Vegas. We get the worst drivers EVERY state has to offer gawking and pointing at the sights and telling the folks back home on the cell-phone all while driving 75 MPH on the I-15!

But regular is only $2.85/gallon.

J

This morning's paper had a graph showing fuel prices compared to average income, 1966 gas prices ($0.32-gal) comprised 5.5% of the average family income which they calculate as $157.00 weekly.

Today, at average $2.78-gal, it makes up 4.2% of the average income calculated at 1790.00.

More percentage also in 1976, at 4.4%, but less in '86 (3.0%) and '96 (2.7%)

Of course, these figures are averages, and the list of variables is huge. Since the sixties, many more people live in suburban or "ex-urban" areas, increasingly far from the jobs and services. These folks tend to drive larger vehicles as well, so as to fulfil the "soccer mom" goal of carrying family, equipment, etc.

Large numbers of people in the construction trades commute these long distances as well, frequently in the trucks they need to carry tools and equipment to sites.
You have to factor in the percentage of income that the modern family feels of as "disposable" as well, figuring increased costs for health care, insurance, and many other variables.
Many folks who are "just getting by" are increasingly hurt by sharply rising fuel prices.

mwerner said:
My first car, a 1966 VW sedan, filled up for just a hair over 2.00....
I was only six back then, so I'm afraid that I wasn't paying too much attention (or cash...) to gasoline prices, then.... ;)

Thanks to everyone for their memories of truly "cheap gasoline/petrol!"

(Even way back, I bet that 32-cents for a gallon of gas was thought to be "expensive"...!)

GeoThorn

I remember buying a gallon at .27¢ for my minibike. 'Shell Gas with Platformate' :rolleyes: (Platformate was Shell's additive for better mileage. It was simply their term for lead. When they did a side-by-side comparison of Shell gas with and without Platformate, the Platformate loaded gas ran farther. Well, no sh**.... I learned this in an advertising book I read.)

Anyway, there has never been a time when drivers of cars weren't crazy in comparison for motorcycles. This conversation was had thirty years ago, too. It is incumbent upon a motorcyclist to be extra aware of the risks and the ways of others. We talk about this all the time. If you are not willing to put in extra scope-out and careful crossing vision then pay the gas prices.

Me, I use my Yamaha Majesty daily for my errands and work in town. Helmet on and vision expanded. 60 mpg in-town eases the pain.

Coop

A.W.U.K. said:
Whe I was little, petrol was 2/6d (12.5p, or about 22 cents current rate) per Imperial gallon.

When I first started to drive, it was about 35p per Imperial gallon.

Now it is about £1.00 per litre, or £4.50 (about $8.00) per Imperial gallon.

Andy.

In 1968 it cost 5 shillings to fill my Lambretta TV175 and that included the shots of two stroke oil.

Before I left Cornwall in June 2005, it cost 52 pounds to fill my Rover 2.3.

My sister in law complained today that is cost $50 Canadian to fill her car.

I remember complaining about 95 cents a gallon when I was in college. I would like a time machine to go back and slap myself in the head, at least to show my younger self a bank statement to get my butt in a saving mood.

Back