Blast from the Past

Cold Steel Knives

I figured some of the guys on this forum might get a kick out of seeing these old pics.
We found these photos in the archives, and our social team are sharing them for #ThrowBackThursday

These photos are from the Gunsite Academy Edged Weapons Symposiums in the late '90s
Lynn Thompson taught bladework alongside Rich Ryan, Michael Janich, Steve Tarani, Tim Wegner, Steven Dick, Kelly Worden and others.

Gunsite.jpg

Lynn and Robert doing cutting demos. I think Lynn is using an old school serrated Kobun in this pic

Gunsite Edged Weapos 90s.jpg

CS, those photos are very cool! Thank you for sharing! (I'm not on any social media, so I never would have seen them if you hadn't posted them. Please continue to share such things here.) You mentioned that they were taken in the late 90s. Do you know the date, or at least the year?

While I was certainly aware of Cold Steel's association with Gunsite, I had no idea that Lynn had actually instructed at the academy. He's in some renowned company in that first picture! This is yet another example of Lynn Thompson refusing to publicize an accomplishment that anyone else in the industry would have crowed about from the rooftops. The man has class.

-Steve

I'm not sure which years they are from. I think that's two different Edged Weapons Symposiums
Lynn said he thought the group photo was from 97-98, but he couldn't remember for sure.

Our crew used to teach a lot back in the day. Some of our team (Ron Balicki in particular) still teach regular seminars all over the world.
Lynn only teaches a couple of times a year these days. Some private lessons for his long time students, some military / LEO stuff, and then one camp that's open to the public here at CS HQ.

I'm not sure which years they are from. I think that's two different Edged Weapons Symposiums
Lynn said he thought the group photo was from 97-98, but he couldn't remember for sure.

OK. Thank you for the information.

Lynn only teaches a couple of times a year these days. Some private lessons for his long time students, some military / LEO stuff, and then one camp that's open to the public here at CS HQ.

This is good to know. I thought that the training camp had been discontinued, so I'm glad to learn that I still have the opportunity to attend. I will look into it.

-Steve

Check out the annual M.A.R.S Camp
It's Martial Arts Research Systems
Lynn is often a guest instructor, alongside some really incredible Martial Artists
That is the only training camp currently open to the public
I can highly recommend it

Thanks

I didn't know the Kobun was ever serrated! That sounds awesome!

Yes, the model 17.1S, shown on the cover of the 1996/7 catalog. It wasn't offered for very long. I'm sure it made for one serious self-defense knife, as evidenced in the photo above of Lynn putting it to work. But serrations are one of those love 'em/hate 'em features and I'm guessing they didn't resonate with most Kobun purchasers. I know I didn't buy one because a serrated fixed blade isn't as utilitarian as I'd like it to be.

I couldn't find a good picture from the catalog (Cold Steel has a .pdf on the Web site). So here's a reference photo from the Internet.

image.jpg1_zpsxazt3lsg.jpg

-Steve

Back