Blessing of GH Khukuris - A Note to Rusty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, first of all - some background. Rusty, and perhaps others, have been offended by some remarks made by me in recent and past postings. The remarks in question were about my stab at humor when remarking about my carelessness with knives. I often say that I've "blessed" a knife, which means, in my parlance, that I have cut myself.

Rusty. I didn't mean to offend you or anybody else. I am sorry you were offended. As a way of showing you that I'm not the SOB that you infer me to be from my postings, I think you should know what goes through my mind when I make such comments about my carlessness (which will, for your sake, be void of all future allusion to blood ceremony).

I sharpen and polish 10 khukuris a day. In the course of my work, I become careless. When I become careless, I get cut. Rather than condescendingly warn people not to cut themselves (many of the readers are twice my age, are smarter, and/or have served combat-tours in Vietnam, Korea, and World War II), I choose to highlight the dangers of a khukuri in the best way I know how - through humor. The important nuance, which I think you missed, is that the humor is not aimed at the KAMIS, their religion or ceremonies . . . but at ME for cutting myself.

You had a valid point about the possibility of misinterpreting and being offended by my humor, but to question the motives behind my choice to remain in the US Marine Corps reserves and voluntarily serve in Northern Nicaragua, where 6 years ago, Americans would have been murdered on site? Why would you do this?

To answer your question matter of factly: no, it's not "under orders" that I serve. It's voluntary. I left my wife and by business for it. I've already done my two weeks - my humanitarian service in Nicaragua was for personal reasons.

Many would would be offended by your comments about my military service (a step further, I think, than an honest misunderstanding at the object of one's humor). I say I would be offended, but am not.

You are obviously a man who cares greatly about character. Kurt Vonnegut, another man of character, once said that profanity gives your readers an excuse not to listen to what you have to say. Do yourself a favor, and don't mud sling. If you do, you run the risk of having your constructive and valued opinions and comments fall on deaf ears, or you risk having them lost amidst a flurry of defensive remarks and counter-accusations.

Regards,

Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

:
Mr.Gottlieb:
It was me,Yvsa,that made the post to you concerning the remarks about the "blessing" of the Kuhkuri's.

I didn't aak about your military service as an affront to you.
Since you had seemingly ignored some other posts by me _and_ Rusty I was assumeing that perhaps you were under orders.

It looks like the ass/u/me truly worked in its classic way once again.

I do thank you for not making further references to something I and others consider a very Holy thing.

Thank you.

------------------

>>>>---¥vsa---->®
The civilized man sleeps behind locked doors in the city while the naked savage sleeps (with a knife) in a open hut in the jungle.

Yvsa: thank you for correcting me on the Rusty/Yvsa mis-step. And rest assured, my comments in the future will be more sensitive to your beliefs.

BTW, if I ever fail to respond to a post, I'm not ignoring you. I value every post on the forum, as I always learn something with each one I read. If you got the feeling that I was ignoring you, I wasn't. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks,

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Several years ago, there was a posthumous exhibit in, I believe, New York City, of the works of a Gay artist who had died of AIDS. Not surprisingly, he had apparently run into the kind of "Christians" that ignore the most basic tenets of the faith, i.e., skip the parts that say work on your own faults first, to get to the parts they can use to bash others and put them down so they can feel morally superior.

As a result, his art displayed some very antichristian themes, of which the most infamous was a picture of a crucifix ( or cross )in a jar of urine. Many of the professed faithful expressed outrage.

I took it as another example of what the temporal church brought upon itself through it's own failings. I was offended to an extent, yes, but also considered it's message. And it was but one person's opinion, unfortunately in my opinion a warning that was too accurate in it's message of what "Christians" do too often to "Others".

I should note that as an ordained deacon, elder, and president of the congregation I attend, I have mentored numerous pastors in their spiritual growth, and comforted them as they learned the realities of religious life.
I'm currently privileged to be assisting in the spiritual rehabilitation process of a man burned out after 35 years of caring for others.

Perhaps you can think of a crucifix or a star of david in a jar of urine the next time before you joke about another's religious tenets.

( Oh, BTW and FYI Craig - Yvsa is the Indin. The guy with the 'hawk. Rusty is the white guy with the cavalry saber behind the truck seat. )

[This message has been edited by Rusty (edited 24 August 1999).]

Gentlemen: I wonder if it isn't time to cease discussing our religous/ethnic differences and get back to our common love...the blade.
We all have valuable experience to gain and/or share.

------------------
Real men ride Moto Guzzis!

I agree with Mike L. The two concerned parties have said their piece and, it would appear, have brought the matter to an amiable conclusion. This was a misunderstanding between honorable men. Further discussion of ethics or moral opinion would seem to be redundant.

Our common ground (knives)is important here, not out differences.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

Mike and Blackdog, I agree. The common bond that we all share here is a love of fine blades - be they Randall, HI, GH, Kabar - whatever. I've never held a Randall, I've held 4 HIs, owned several Kabars, and have a few GHs somewhere in my basement
smile.gif
. I love them all for what they are, and am thankful for the opportunity to exist on this forum. Rusty - sorry I called you Yvsa - I didn't mean to.

Regards,

Craig Gottlieb

[This message has been edited by Craig Gottlieb (edited 24 August 1999).]

Russ and YVSA are HI products.As am I.What do you mean,This is irrelevent?

------------------

I know Russ and yva.Isn`t a bit much to expect Craig to know about this? He`s a businessman.Let us not forget that he is an officer and a gentlman. He does not wish to offend.I happen to like the ideas of Zen So what?

------------------

Oh yes, knife related topics are not required by Bill.Aviation will do.Culture,history,guns, you name it.Not a restricted forum.With the present members, I doubt that you could even try that now.

------------------

Dear Craig
I knew it was a joke/a creative choice of words.
It showed "above average" writing skills.
I knew you had not the slightest damn intention of offending anyone.
Am I just incredibly perceptive ???
Doc

I think this thread ought to be closed.

------------------
Real men ride Moto Guzzis!

I agree with Mike L, it should be closed. I doubt if anything good will come out of further postings on this topic. I'm as guilty as anyone I suppose. My last posting here was somewhat confrontational and, as such, was best left unsaid. I have deleted it.

My apologies to everyone for kicking a dead horse. Lets get back to knives. they are SO much more interesting.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

[This message has been edited by Blackdog (edited 31 August 1999).]

Glad everybody is on the same sheet of music here. Ghost six: welcome to the GH family - we've got many GH/HI cross-breeds here, and glad to have another. I also offer my apologies for any confusion displayed by or caused by me. I'm not the tallest poll in the tent. I'll contact Spark and ask him to officially close this thread.

Best Regards,

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Closed by request

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com

Insert witty quip here

Status
Not open for further replies.