Blocao

Brummie

Gold Member
I’ve seen the review that says that the knife is dangerous because it lacks jimping and falls shut on your fingers, and can’t reliably be opened quickly because you can’t flick it with the thumb stud.

Here are my thoughts having played with it a bit:
- For me, the jimping is a non-issue. Given the size and shape of the handle, I find it perfectly secure. There are plenty of fixed blades that have zero jimping, but work just fine.
- It’s true that if you close this like a normal lockback, you’ll get cut. You need to remember to use a different technique. For me, I rotate it into reverse grip first, so the blade is pointing down when I release the lock. The issue here is not the difference between washers and bearings, it’s that unlike regular lockbacks, the lock bar is not in contact with the tang (and therefore applying resistance) throughout the blade action. So you need to be careful, but it’s not a deal-breaker for me.
- The other consequence of the action is that it is difficult to flick open with the thumb stud as reported. However, I find it pretty easy to just wrist flick open without using the thumb stud at all, so there’s still a fast opening option.

One other observation / question I have, though:
Unlike every other WE knife I’ve owned, there is some blade play. Not a lot, but if I grip the blade at the tip and wiggle it, there’s a slight, but noticeable vertical movement. I’d like to know from WE whether this is just because I got one that’s less than perfect, or (as I assume) a design issue with the lock mechanism (the width of the “window” on the lock bar means it seems to rest on the liners and doesn’t seat as deeply as it could when the knife is open).

Last edited:
Yeah I love the look and size of the knife. But the action is just too different.

Sadly if it was any other lock up, it would be awesome. As a linerlock it would work.

Yeah I love the look and size of the knife. But the action is just too different.

Sadly if it was any other lock up, it would be awesome. As a linerlock it would work.

Hi, Brummie:

Thank you very much for the impartial review.

You are right on both counts. The Blocao was not designed as a finger flick open knife, and it uses a different locking mechanism compared to the usual lockback knife and does require a different mindset to operate it safely. Your recommended method of closing the knife will work very safely. I've also made a video on closing the Blocao safely by holding it parallel to the ground when closing it. here is a video in Dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9otymgsox2qgi8/20191209_173334.mp4?dl=0

On the issue of blade play, let me confirm with both production and Miguel to see if the design of the lock may contribute to it, or would a return / exchange be needed.

Thank you.

Hi, Brummie:

You are right on both counts. The Blocao was not designed as a finger flick open knife, and it uses a different locking mechanism compared to the usual lockback knife and does require a different mindset to operate it safely. Your recommended method of closing the knife will work very safely. I've also made a video on closing the Blocao safely by holding it parallel to the ground when closing it. here is a video in Dropbox.

On the issue of blade play, let me confirm with both production and Miguel to see if the design of the lock may contribute to it, or would a return / exchange be needed.

Thank you.

Thank you.

I also sent an email over the weekend and got a response from Erin, saying that other examples don’t have bladeplay, so I should contact the retailer about an exchange. I’ll do so, and let you know.

Thanks.

Hi, Brummie:

Thank you.
I just received my Blocao today and it is everything I had hoped for! A large, solid folder with absolutely no lock rock or blade play. Solid as a block house, as the Spanish name implies! I reviewed your video and have used the same technique which makes total sense (or simply use two hands.... LOL). Opening requires only a moderate amount of wrist assist along with initiating the opening with the thumbstud.
I treat each knife as unique, not only this one. Each owner or user should examine and get familiar with sharp cutting tools prior to getting to relaxed. That way you are always safe and informed.

Hi, fiveform:

Thank you very much! Glad you are enjoying the Blocao, may it protect you as its name implies.

(btw, is your name referring to the martial art style?)

I think everey piece of Blocao will have very light blade play after some rapid flicking. New knives at manufacture may not have it.

I think everey piece of Blocao will have very light blade play after some rapid flicking. New knives at manufacture may not have it.
I think it's fundamentally a design issue - putting a square peg in a square hole, there will always be a little bit of wiggle room, even with very precise machining. Compare that to the Demko scorpion lock, which is very similar, but puts a round peg into a V-shaped hole, so it's self-adjusting.

I was ready that it might be there. Anyway Blocao is cool. That wiggle is on the level of my triadlock folders from CS.

On the closing, I wonder if there’s enough of an unsharpened edge at the finger choil when it’s folding.

Some of the lockbacks that I have, such as the Spyderco Native, or the Civivi Exarch, has an unsharpened spot that one could block it from folding further if it’s as close to the pivot as possible.

Some of the lockbacks that I have, such as the Spyderco Native, or the Civivi Exarch, has an unsharpened spot that one could block it from folding further if it’s as close to the pivot as possible.
I don't have any hands-on experience with the Blocao, but from watching videos I'm 99% sure the lock release is situated too far back for my hand to do what you're describing (which is how I've closed every lockback I've owned).

On the closing, I wonder if there’s enough of an unsharpened edge at the finger choil when it’s folding.

Yes, you need to put index finger right behind the guard and then release lock with a thumb. Easier to do when you have practice with triadlock, because spring isn't soft like in Spyderco backlocks. It's a manly knife in every aspect. ;)

Back