Blue-green mammoth ivory damascus EDC

This just arrived from Craig Steketee. He usually sells on ebay, but this was a custom order. It is 6 5/8" overall with a 3" cutting edge. Small enough for belt carry. Great sheath, too. This is my first ivory knife, I have it coated in Renn wax. Does the fossil mammoth ivory still need the baby oil rub once in a while?
I call this knife an EDC because it was less expensive than a Sebenza (by $110). So it goes into the rotation with the cocobolo Sebbie, and the JW Smith scimitar.

stekblue1.jpg

stekblue2.jpg

I would use pure mineral oil rather than baby oil, and yes, you should give it a rub with mineral oil every once in awhile.

It is amazing that mammoth ivory of that colour could be seen on a knife that cost as little as this one did. There are places where that ivory would have cost as much as this knife did. You did well on this one.

Gorgeous knife there Stripey!
Wow, that blue mammoth blows me away!!
Let me know if you ever want to trade it off.

Craig & Adam Steketee are selling their work on ebay, but if you contact them via email, they will sell stuff that is not yet listed. He has a mosaic damascus tomahawk with a curly maple poll for sale that I wish I could afford right now!
Just do a search for "stek" on ebay to see some more of his work. I have a sambar stag bowie, and a maple burl coffin-handle Bowie of his. Both were relative bargains and beautiful work.
Craig builds and finishes the knives, his son Adam forges the damascus from 1065, 1095 and nickel. He typically makes Bowies with stag, oosik, or mammoth ivory scales, but also does western fighters and small knives like this one.

This has got me thinking....I have a beautiful blue mammoth handle on a damascus hunter by Billy Sowell, it has been stabilized, should I treat it with mineral oil? Thanks!

Back