"Blued" Blades

Excellent info Dave & Eric , Maybe Tech Etch did the 153 as it is a Schrade + blade . I have 4 other 153's and apart from the blued duck only one other has the Schrade + the rest seem to be 1095 carbon.
After a little googling on youtube regarding hot blueing,I wouldn't mind having a go at an old craftsman that i use out bush

DU153BluedTang.jpg
[/IMG]

Excellent info Dave & Eric , Maybe Tech Etch did the 153 as it is a Schrade + blade . I have 4 other 153's and apart from the blued duck only one other has the Schrade + the rest seem to be 1095 carbon.

Thanks, no problem! It's fun to dig around. I think this may be a "read the knife" moment though as opposed to the tang stamp. Remember Larry's description:

The DU153 from 2000
"Special 153 with Black Delrin handles, Blued Carbon blade with gold etch, antique brass handle shield, polished brass guard and hallmark. Plain white box will be screened with gold duck head and Ducks Unlimited." Order was for 3000-3500 with a ship date of 11/00.
Great looking knife.

While your knife is stamped Schrade+ (as iirc were the regular production 153UH by this time, 2000) I still think it's a carbon 1095 blade on your knife. The finish is the same as the bowies etc. Exactly the same. I really don't think it's stainless, 99% but I have been wrong before. To the best of my knowledge I have never seen mirror polished examples of "blued" stainless so I have nothing to compare it to though. Check out the DU bowies. Same finish should mean same steel. I think this is an exception to the rule knife. "Schrade+" could mean anything Schrade wanted it to be, that was the beauty of the vagueness.

Other opinions folks?

Try the old magnet test! Schrade’s stainless+ has a high carbon content and a magnet will stick to it.
A magnet will not stick to most stainless steel. Schrade did not use stainless steel for their blades. KG

Ken , As far as i understand Schrade used 2 forms of stainless steel , 440C & 420A , both are magnetic due to their low alloy / high carbon content .
Of the multitude of stainless steel formula's that are available , the 300 series (high alloy / low carbon) eg - 304 or 316 will not attract a magnet. 316 is normally associated with marine grade products.The only cutlery that I am aware that was manufactured using a 300 grade stainless was referred to as surgical steel.
But you still may be on to something , given the high carbon content of Schrade+ it may be possible that these were still able to be "blued".......

Aussie, do a google on "OXYATE 84" - this will tell how stainless stell is blued...
http://baronengraving.com/services/
Have a look at this sight, Black chrome and Hot Black Oxide.
These coatings, just like Power-coating are attracted to the item by an electrical current. KG

Last edited:
Back