bluing on SOG Bowie blade destroyed by fruit !!

Here's one for the chemists.

Last Thursday I was helping prepare dinner for some good friends. I was assigned the task to cut up cantaloupe and honeydew melon. So I decided to use the Bowie to make short work of the task.

Well, after a few of each were cut up I was shocked and dismayed to see that some of the bluing was gone from the front section of the blade.

I don't know if it was abraded off (I wouldn't think so), so that leaves a chemical reaction of some sort.

Quite strange.

Cheers,

Carl

Well can't say most folks haven't been forewarned about blued surfaces.
Yeah, I know that its not one of the most durable finishes for metal, but it sure looks magical on the Flagship Bowie.

But you know what? I am somewhat surprise about the results from your action.
After all the blued area on the main blade of SOG-K bowie is done up pretty 'thick', if one may use the term.

Interestingly enough, this can be corrected.
http://www.knifeforums.com/ubbthrea...=280553&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Krizzard, out

"...Whoever kills with the sword must be killed by the sword... "
- The New Testament, Revelation 13:10

Krizzard,

Thanks Much for the ref's, that helps.

A couple of months ago I gun-blued my SK-5 Tigershark, so I reckon I'll give the Bowie a touch-up and see what happens.

Cheers,

Carl

Gun bluing was never designed as a highly abrasion resistant finish...;) It was used to cut reflection and blacken the blade... along with some protection.:D

That is why you see all the old Bowies with "character" in the way the blade bluing is worn.;)

Also, a lot of fruit juice is acidic, accelerating the wear.

Originally posted by Bobby B
Also, a lot of fruit juice is acidic, accelerating the wear.
In addition to the other things that Rob said, the acidic nature of some fruit can demolish bluing. Other things I've seen has been hot juices from a roast. I understand that this is not something that is anticipated and likely hurts the price a lot, but bluing is not a perfect blade coating and will wear/mar. Sorry bud. :(

I figured the bluing would wear off someday, but I sure never figured that whackin' and hackin' a few innocent melons would cause such instant destruction. I never figured cantaloupe and honeydew as a concern.... pineapple and grapefruit, yeh, but no c&h. Oh well, chop and learn.

Last night I re-blued it.... not too bad at all, if ya don't look too closely. Two "secrets" that help: 1) after the final rinse with water, very very lightly buff with 0000-mesh steel wool; 2) DuraLube heavily and thoroughly, and let it soak over night. The DuraLube does for the finish what ArmorAll does to rubber: adds color back in.

All part of the fun !!!

Cheers,

Carl

Considering I don't get out into the field as often as I'd like, I gotta get some use out of the SOG's whenever I can.... cost/benefit ratio, that sort of thing.

So kitchen duty is just another opportunity to get some benefit from all that cost. And, the venue was fun: 6 friends and I were putting together a salad bar style dinner for 50 ladies. The SOG Tigershark and Bowie were getting lots of ooh's & aah's from my friends.... good advertising !! And they enjoyed using 'em while whackin' and hackin' acres of lettuce and carrots and ham and turkey and melons and much more. We had a few good kitchen knives, but they're kinda "boring" compared to the Tigershark and the Bowie !!

Cheers,

Carl

...A TIGERSHARK in the kitchen???...Man, that could be dangerous!, as I hear that they bite.:D.

Originally posted by glockman99
...A TIGERSHARK in the kitchen???...Man, that could be dangerous!, as I hear that they bite.:D.
Yes, but fun!!!:D :eek: :eek: :grumpy: :footinmou ;)

I figured the bluing would wear off someday, but I sure never figured that whackin' and hackin' a few innocent melons would cause such instant destruction. I never figured cantaloupe and honeydew as a concern.... pineapple and grapefruit, yeh, but no c&h. Oh well, chop and learn.

Last night I re-blued it.... not too bad at all, if ya don't look too closely. Two "secrets" that help: 1) after the final rinse with water, very very lightly buff with 0000-mesh steel wool; 2) DuraLube heavily and thoroughly, and let it soak over night. The DuraLube does for the finish what ArmorAll does to rubber: adds color back in.

All part of the fun !!!

Cheers,

Carl
Carl , are you still around ?

Cognoscenti,

yes, I am still SOG'ing around !!!!! It's been awhile since I've checked the Forum, and what a delightful surprise to find this thread ........

NPH

Back