Bm 550

I just received this yesterday and have been playing with it alot. I really like this knife. The blade and the handle make the knife feel "big" even though the blade is only about 3.5 inches. The weight of the knife is biased toward the blade, making nice snap opening. The grinds of the blade are not quite symmetrical but not bad and the blade was the sharpest out of box of all the BM's I've owned. The Noryl handles are grippy and are light because of the partial nested liners. Even though the knife feels "big", its not really heavy. The finish on the blade is interesting also. It appears that the blade was stonewashed and then satin finished overtop so depending upon what angle you look at the blade, it appears to be stonewashed one way and satin finished another. The only real annoyance I've found with the 550 is that when you snap the blade open hard, the lock sticks and harder to disengage. I've not had this problems with my 3 other axis locks, 2 being 940's and one being a 705. Overall, a thumbs up. BTW, if anybody else has had similar problems with the axis lock sticking, please feel free to comment if you have found a remedy.

Sometimes the Axis locks do that sticking thing for a couple of days when you first get them. Lube it, play with it, and it'll be fine in a couple of days, no matter how hard you open it.

IMHO, it's a great knife for the money. Good utility blade shape, decent steel and a very smooth Axis lock.

Good luck with it. :)

I've had mine for a few weeks and it's become one of my EDC knives. I don't really find it comfortable to clip to my pocket, so I tend to carry it in the front pocket of my waist pack. I've found this blade shape is very useful and like the fact the tip is as strong as most tanto folders', but is almost a modified "spear-point" than a sheepsfoot.

I've not had a problem with the Axis lock sticking, but perhaps it may have to do with the 550's blade is larger/heavier than the 940 or the 705's, thus creating more momentum when you snap it open hard.
Jim

I've only snapped open my 550 a few times and when I do disengaging the lock is somewhat more difficult than when I use the thumbhole to open the blade. I suspect it will wear in, but I'm not much of a "snapper" so it may be awhile. I like the Griptilian so much I bought one each for a couple of my friends. They are not knifeknuts but they carry the 550 with them now on a regular basis. Good knife for the money.

Back