BM 770 Osborne Impressions

I got a 770 yesterday. I think this is a nice little knife for everyday carry. Starting with the blade:
The blade is 2.9", and is made of 154cm. It has a very slight recurve to it. It has dual thumb studs (which I like cause I'm a lefty) and a light stonewashed finish. I like stonewashing, because it makes me forget about scratching the blade. The blade is small, but seems to be up to full size tasks. I broke down about 20 boxes yesterday with the 770, and it was just asking for more.
The handle:
Carbon fiber is very cool, and I think it was good choice for this knife. It pretty much eliminates the need for a liner (except for the axis liner). Even though this is a small knife the handle does somewhat fill the hands. There is a nice little back spacer with a pleasing design on it. There are nice cutouts to help with traction control. The pocket clip is set up for tip up carry for right handed people. This doesn't bother me. The 770 fis right at home in my left pocket. Would have been nice though if BM finished this knife to be fully ambi. (just my 2 cents)
The lock:
Not much to say here, because the axis lock is awesome. Smooth, solid, and secure. The thing that I like though is the lock itself has been scaled down, so it doesn't look like it takes up the entire handle. That is what I didn't like about the 705 model.
Overall:
I compared the blade thickness to some other larger knives. the 705, mini AFCK, mini SOCOM and a few others. The 770's blade is just as thick. I know that many feel because of it's look, that it is a Gent's knife, but I feel it is capable of so much more. I was going to buy a mini SOCOM for everyday carry, but not now. With the strength of carbon fiber and a 154cm blade combined with the axis lock, I am hooked on the 770. It's not much smaller than the others I have mentioned above, so I am sure that the 770 is up to the same amount of work that they are. Only time will tell though.

[This message has been edited by USAFSP (edited 03-27-2001).]

I'm glad you like your 770. I think it is currently my favorite Axis Lock model. Although the blade is well over 2.5", the knife is petite enough that it makes for great gentleman's carry, and it makes a fine airline knife also. My only criticism of the knife is that Benchmade could have polished the carbon fiber on the edges and made the knife more attractive, afterall this is a knife that lists at $170. If BM polishes the handle, it will be almost perfect.

I think you are right about the handle, although the contrast it has now is also very nice. I think I will be getting another one with the new BC1 finish. If you havn't seen that, It is quite stunning.

Does the BC1 smudge easily like the coatings
on the older model SOCOM variants? I've had
both black and silver coated SOCOMs and they
smudge up like SOBs, and stay that way. Would
be nice if the BC1 both lasts longer than BT2
*and* wears better *and* stays clean.

T.

USAFSP,
Thanks for sharing your impressions on this really cool little knife.
Here is mine 770BC directly from flatbed scanner (actual size).
View

This new BC1 (Boron Carbide) coating looks awesome! It doesn't change steel surface's appearance like BT2 or Ti-Ni coating, doesn't provide "plastic-like look". The steel looks like steel, just in black color.
It appears pretty hard also, I couldn't scratch mine with copper wire.

Anthony,
Cool idea about polishing, I probably will try to do it myself when I'll have a bit more free time.

[This message has been edited by Sergiusz Mitin (edited 04-09-2001).]

From a pseudo competitor, I must admit it's a very cool knife. Lightweight yet large enough to hold on to and reasonably priced (well, that's debatable). Great work, Benchmade!

BarnZ
smile.gif

------------------
Proud Bladeforums.com SPONSOR & MODERATOR!
Please accept my personal invitation to join the new product announcement and special sale list on our web site - found at:<p> http://www.DeltaZ-Knives.com

Back