BM 806D2 vs. 710M2

Hi, Guys !

What do you think of these two knives ?

Pros and cons and wich one would you choose for EDC ?

Regards,

Andre Tiba - Brazil

I have a 710HS and love it, but I also like D2. You really can't go wrong with either of them, so I'd suggest trying to find them in a store or other place where you can see how they feel in your hand, since they both have different handles.

I have both a 710 and an 806D2, and I like the handle of my 806 the best, as it is very secure "in hand"...It is also a larger knife, (which is good for my large hand).

I can't comment on the 710, but you cannot go wrong with an 806. Excellent ergonomics, smooooooth opening, and sharp as sin.

If you decide on the 710, you might have to do a lot of searching to find an M2 model - BM didn't make enough. :(

I love my 710, more often than not it's my go-to knife. I use it so much that the G-10 scales are starting to feel smooth.

Jubei

I have both and I prefer the 710. The 710 isn't as large, the 806 has a very large handle. I also like the blade design on the 710. I just find the 710 more practical for EDC.

I have a 710HS and a AFCK in M2. I love them both. I generally use the AFCK more for everyday hard chores, and the 710HS more as a general carry knife - both are used as EDC's depending on my activities for the day.

I've got the 710HS and 806D2. They're both big knives, but the 710HS is deceptively large. It's got a fantastic blade to handle ratio. On the other hand, I find the AFCK's handle too large. Also, I prefer thumb studs...

I also own both the 710M2 and the 806D2 -- they're both great knives. That said, they're too big for me to EDC, I prefer something a little smaller and went with the BM940.

Just to pile on, I also have both the 806D2 and the 710HSS (both in plain edge).

I prefer the 806D2 but only because I'm a big fan of the AFCK in general. I have the original in ATS-34, the M-2, the 806D2 and the left handed partially serrated model also in ATS-34. :eek:
I'd been praying for an AFCK with the Axis Lock and then Benchmade delivered one with that AWESOME D-2 blade steel, well I'm very well pleased indeed. :D It has lived up to all my expectations. I EDC this one most of the time.

That's not to say I don't like the 710 because I have the original model and the one in M-2 also. I only EDC them occasionally.

They are both FINE designs and you won't go wrong with whichever model you end up with. The steels are both top shelf and Benchmade does an admirable heat treat on both M-2 and D-2 bringing out all the best qualities these steels have to offer.

All the best,
Mike U.

If your main use is 'defense', get the 806D2; otherwise, get the 710HS. If your main defense style uses more grip types than the 'hammer' grip (named after using a hammer, not the 'You can't touch this' guy), the 710HS is said to be better.

I used to have an 806D2. I sold it because it was too large for both my pocket and my hand. The 710 is very compact for its size, and fits well in both my pocket and my hand.

On the other hand, if you have large hands, or you are willing to tolerate a rather large profile in exhange for a very secure grip, then maybe the 806 is for you...

Good luck with your decision.

Regards,
bls

I like the AFCK better because I can get two or three different grip types on it.

It has that flat handle part just before the blade where you can choke up on the handle by putting your finger on it. This converts it immediately into a "utility" knife for fine work, it becomes a "small" blade even though it has a "big" handle.

It can thus be used easily to cut and peel apples, slit envelopes, cut small things, etc.

For emergency purposes, I'll hold it near the butt end, in a palm-reinforced grip to stop forward slippage, or with my index finger pulling on the choil to stop backward slippage.

So for me it's a emergency knife that also does fine utility work not too bad also.

If you don't like the hole, get the TSEK axis, it's like the 806 but with cheaper steel, same handle with opening studs. You can also wear the AFCK tip down(?) or up, and I believe when tip-up, it has a lower profile than the 710, at least the way I wear it.

Although both blades are coated, the edges are exposed. For that very limited reason, the 806D2 is a better knife for use in a wet environment compared to the 710HS due to the semi stainless attribute of D-2 steel. M-2 is a true carbon tool steel with some tungsten thrown in and it rusts easily. YMMV

all above is true
what's moreover:
710 great for stabbing,stronger tip,
higher grind+thiner edge+recurved= better slicer
AFCK better finger guard (if it can be called so)
tip will always miss aim while stabbing

corrosion? it was never a problem with my 710M2

i owned a combo edge 806d2, and a 154cm 710. to be honest, even if i used the 154cm 710, the only time i would notice the difference between it and m2 would be during sharpening. and im pretty sure that it has a thin enough ground edge that i would barely notice it.

whith how i feel about knives now, the only reason i would take a combo edge 806d2 (or a plain edge to be honest) would be for the purpose of reselling it. the reason for this is how far your hand is away from the plain cutting edge. even on the regular plain edge, your index finger is about 3/4" away from the edge (i getting this from memory, i had the knife a good while ago so i could easily be wrong), and with the combo edge, its 1 1/2" away. d

for my practical theory of knives and their use, thats unnaceptable, unless it a large chopper.

the plain edge version of both of these knives make for good knives, but personally i cant own a knife with the 806 style handle anymore. it makes the knife bigger, and pushes the edge farther from your hand with little practical purpose (other bm's, as well as crk&t incorperate large hand gaurds without taking up so much space). its a big knife when it doesnt have to be. on the cuda maxx, you could use that thing for chopping, the 806 is pretty much dedicated to cutting tasks.

i also like the blade shape of the 710 better, but thats a personal preference to slight recurves. as far as the thumbstud vs. opening hole, i would go with the thumbstud, because i can open the knife with very little effort, and very little hand movement, where as with the opening hole i had to work at it.

while the axis lock affords you nearly effortless opening regardless of what opening method is on the blade, i found the thumbstud on the 710 to be preferable to pulling the lock back (effectively making it a gravity knife), because it made it like a switchblade. slight push upward (no rotation or diagnal direction), and the blade would swing open from any position will a fair amount of speed.

if i didnt need the money for other things, and wasnt carrying fixed blades exclusively (not including the leatherman - thats pliers :rolleyes: (so i keep tellingmyself... considering i use the knives on it more then any other knife ive ever carried), i would have never sold it (710).

both will cut well and make for very good edc knives, but everything i have come to beleive makes a good knife points me in the direction of the 710

Does anyone have any comparison pics of the two? I have been looking for some but can't seem to find any...

I have only this, together with Military:

img129.jpg

Unfortunately I can't say, from whom I have it, I downloaded it a long time ago...

Have never handled a 806D2, but my 710HS is always with me. It's a substantial knife that carries small, has a great blade shape thanks to a slight recurve and once the blade is reprofiled to match the Sharpmakers 30 & 40 degrees, is near on perfection for what I require.
I have never had a rust issue and I carry my 710HS close to my body in the hot and sometimes humid Australian climate. M2 is also an exceptional steal, I'm a little surprised and confused as to why it is so rarely used.

Back