BM Griptilian VS Ritter RSK MK1

I've been thinking about getting myself a BM 551 - satin finish, plain edge, black grips. I have found this knife for $70 new. The RSK MK1, as you guys know, is basically the same knife. The blade is the only difference I'm aware of. It's S30V as opposed to 154cm, it's drop-point is different, and the Ritter also has a stonewash finish, as opposed to the satin finish. The biggest hangup is that I will have to pay around $50 more for the RSK.

My question is if it's really worth that much more. I love Benchmade, so having their logo on my blade would make me feel better about the knife. However, if the S30V is that much better, or the blade geometry is that much better, or something else internal or fundemental has been changed, please let me know. My favorite thing about the Ritter is the Stonewash finish. That looks pretty awesome :cool:

From what I've read S30V and 154cm are pretty similar steels. I've only used 154cm, but it's on my BM42, which has quite a virgin edge, as it's a semi-safe queen of mine (I trick with it, but never really use it to cut). I like the feel and look of it on my 42 though :)

I will be using this knife as my EDC. I don't really ever abuse my knives, but I am upgrading to the Grip because I want a knife that can take a beating if I ever need it to.

Thanks in advance for your replies

I really like ritter grip. The stonewashing on it looks amazing, and I personally like the modified drop point much better. Other than those two things, its pretty much the same as a regular griptillian. Are you really going to notice the difference between 154cm and s30v anyway?

Reactions: vba
The grind of the Ritter Grip mk1 is qute a bit different than the regular Griptilian. It has a very high grind, almost to the point of being a full flat grind. Thusly, it does cut very nicely and feels better than a regular grip for that reason. I agree with you that an additional $50 seems like a lot, but I personally like the Ritter that much more to justify it (it is the only Grip I still have). Not sure if you will notice the difference in steels without quite a bit of use of both, but S30V does hold a simliar angled edge longer, and also does better than 154cm with more acute edge angles, but it is harder to sharpen too. I like to keep my Ritter at about 30 degrees inclusive, and it slices very nicely that way.

I have five Grips and two Ritter Grips and I feel that the blade design and S30V steel on the Ritters, is well worth the extra cost. The S30V is perfectly tempered for strength without being brittle and will take a superbly sharp edge without chipping.

The Ritter Mini Griptilian has become my #1 EDC and the full-size my #1 camp folder, in spite of many fine alternatives available to me in my gear box. The blade geometry approaches perfection given the way I use my knives. Obviously knifers who use their knves differently may do better with other designs. For me, the extra $50 was well worth it for a knife I will use as long as I live, and leave to my son when I die.

One question though... With the Ritter Grip, do you get all of Benchmade's services still? Like their Lifesharp and maintenance? I sharpen my own knives, but it's still nice to know that I can send it in, and for $5 have my blade sharpened, and my knife practically rebuilt.

I have to say I didn't expect it to be so one-sided towards the Ritter, this would certainly make me feel better about spending a bit more

Shawn7676: Good question, and the answer is "yes." Ritter collaborated on the design, but it is a Benchmade knife, comes in Benchmade packaging, and it is covered by the Benchmade warrantee.

Oh, by the way, did I mention that my Ritter Grips are the M4 steel special edition versions (with matching serial numbers, only 300 of each in the world). That has nothing to do with your post, Shawn, I was just too weak to resist the temptation to gloat. Sorry (not). Just ignore me. The steel on the standard Grips is excellent, more than good enough for typical use. Mine are just better. Oh darn, I did it again! Really, really sorry, man (not).

Does the Ritter Grip also have the BM logo on the other side of the blade? Doug's site only shows the other side of the blade on a 2004 protype model, but it does have the BM logo on it.

I know that logo is a small thing, but I love Benchmade, and being able to carry one has been a goal since I got my first one (which is illegal to carry, sadly). It'd be sort of sad to have a Benchmade and no way to show it off ;)

Lol just saw your second post. I'm pretty jealous haha!

I was thinking of trying to find a D2 blade, but I figured I'd probably never need such a steel on my EDC

rsk_mk1_red_03-800w.jpg

I do not have a Ritter nor have I handled one but using the picture posted by furfmonkey and my picture of my standard 551 Grip, my opinion is that the tip of the standard 551 Grip is stronger than the Ritter. That is just my .02¢ from looking at the pictures. I just think the Saber ground tip is stronger than the Flat ground tip.

benchmadegriptillian551.jpg

I suppose s30v is superior to 154 but don't know how much better it is than 154. It's been my experience that s30V seems to be a tad more brittle than 154 when working on bone (skinning, etc.) but again that's just my experience and observation.

My .02¢ again is that both knives are great knives. I'm very satisfied with my standard 551 Grip and would buy another.

Just backing-up Modoc ED: Yup; Benchmade logo proudly displayed on the right blade face. Trust me bro; it's a Benchmade, plain and simple and through to the bone.

As for D2, I like it, and if that is what you really want, save your pennies and get it. I also like S30V (not my favorite, but if the heat-treating was done right, it is a good steel). The truth is, modern cutlery steels have gotten so good that as long as you pick one of the better ones, any of them, and buy from a company that heat-treats them properly, they will all perform very well. As steels have gotten better, the practical difference between them has grown narrower. Oh sure, some are better than others, no argument there; but how much better, and will you really notice the difference in real-world use? If you are a Navy Seal or the star of an outdoor survival reality show, then yes, you may need to use your knife so hard that you need the very best steel in the galaxy and should spare no expense to get it. If, however, you are an ordinary Joe who keeps a good knife in your pocket because it suits your independent spirit, the differences between the better cutlery steels are not very significant in practical application.

So, now that we have that out of the way, WHY ARE YOU SITTING ON YOUR ASS AND READING THIS POST WHEN YOU SHOULD BE CLOSING THE DEAL ON THAT GRIP YOU ARE LUSTING AFTER!? You know which one you want, so pull the damn trigger and start enjoying your new blade, you jackwagon!

Sorry. I just had an R Lee moment. I'm better now. Really; I’m fine now. You are going to love your Grip. Stop fretting and best wishes with your new blade.

PS: Be sure to get back on line after you have played, er, I mean, spent some time safely and responsibly using that new knife (whichever you get) and let us know what you think.

PPS: What the hell is a jackwagon, anyway?

Here is a hunting-themed comparison between the Griptilian 551 and the Ritter 552.

[video=youtube;hZ1mHwhMViI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ1mHwhMViI[/video]

Lol I liked that guy's accent. It seems the Ritter holds a better edge? Though he did say he sharpened the BM and the Ritter was out of the box, so it could have been his skills that made the difference.
I won't be hunting with mine, mostly just using it to cut every day things like plastic, string/rope, cardboard, etc, etc. I'll probably see if I can find a couple more comparison videos before making the final decision

@CountyRat, I haven't bought it yet because I'm waiting for my funds to come in :thumbdn:. Right now I'm unemployed. I was supposed to be starting a job this week but things don't seem to be working out. I'm hoping to get another soon. On top of that, however, I've also got my tax return coming in, and I plan to use around half of it on sharpening stones and a Griptilian (or Ritter Grip)

Frankly Shawn, I am not sure what features of the knives the reviewer was comparing. And, I agree, sharpness and blade geometry are seperate considerations that seem blurred in the video review. I prefer the Ritter because I find the blade geometry superior given the way I wield a blade, that's all. More an issue of gut feelings than technical specs.

I am sorry to hear about the job situation. Definitely know how it is to be short of funds. Probably not the right time to be going forward on an expense that can safely be delayed; but a guy can dream, right?

When the time is right, just get the knife that you feel best about. You have done a great job narrowing the field to two excellent choices. Either will serve you well, so get what you want, and don't waste any energy on regret. You will do fine.

Best wishes and prayers for you, bud.

Haha I felt the same way. He seemed to be judging it on sharpness/edge retention for awhile, then a bit on the tip of the blade. Ahh well, I saw them both in action though lol

And thanks man. Hopefully things will turn around soon, though, as I've been eying a Nikon D7000 as well ;)

The funny thing is my search started with me looking at tanto-point fixed blades, and I ended up with the Griptilian, non-tanto, hahahaha.

I really prefer the blade shape of the Ritter, and I've been very underwhelmed by the 154CM blades that I've had from Benchmade to date (530 and nimravus). Maybe they're just lemons, but they're the only knives in my collection (or that I've made, for that matter) that I can't seem to get an edge I'm happy with on. I love my Ritter Grip (made some custom G10 scales for it too), and it's one of my favorite EDC knives to date.

In my experience the Ritter Grip has better edge geometry than the 551 so it cuts easier, but I have had 3 of them in S30V and they all chipped horribly in use. My 550/551s in D2, 154CM, and 440C either don't chip at all, or chip much less doing the same work. YMMV but my first choice of a Griptilian would be a Ritter in any steel but S30V, or a 550 (the hollow ground blade slices a bit better than the 551), then a 551. Either way though, it's a good knife

I've heard of the S30V ones chipping before and that was sort of a concern. I thought about the 550 but I'm not big on the fact that the sheepsfoot design of the blade doesn't give it a good tip, and I think for an EDC I'd like my blade to be able to stab through things if needed. And I'll be honest, I've never used a thumbhole before :eek:

I Have To Say That The Griptilian 550HG Has A Great Tip!
I Have One Of Those And I Have An Orange Ritter Grip And Love Them Both.
I Love The Thumb Hole But I Love The Blade On The Ritter.
If They Would Do A Ritter With A Similar Blade To The 550 With the Stonewash And Flat Grip And The Thumb Hole, I Would Be On It In A Flat 2 Seconds.
And Make The Color Blue.... *Drool*

Back