2 Panthers
1 Ascent
1 Pinnacle
1 Axis
1 Kuma Zume
1 Nimravus (ATS34)
1 Mini-Nimravus (M-2)
1 Kodiak

And that's all I can remember right now.

NOW! For the problems:

RH AFCK liner has travelled to the right side of the blade.

Same for both of the Panther's.

Axis heat treat is too hard. The blade chips when beveled to <22 degrees.
mad.gif
It's fine now at 25 degrees.

And that pretty much covers it.
This works out to about 1/3 of my stock having "glitches".
frown.gif

Now, on the other hand, the one's that have no problems are truly great knives.
I would not trade my Nimravus' or my Pinnacle for anything.
My Kuma Zume is push knife perfection for me.
And, I must add that my Axis works just fine now that I've brought the edge bevel back to 25 degrees. I'm not too happy about the larger bevel, but it does what I ask of it and the lock design absolutely ROCKS!

Soooo... how's about an M-2 bladed Axis?
cool.gif

------------------
So, what IS the speed of dark?

My experience with BM is not great. A mini AFCK lost the two cheesy logo discs after about a week in my pocket. The blade also rubbed against the liner. The new owner sent it back to BM for repair. An Ascent/Eclipse lost the clip when the knife got caught in the arm of a chair. Back it went for repair. The Ascent is nowhere near as good a knife as a Spyderco Endura. A Pardue 330 was doing fine until the screws in the scales loosened and the knife came apart in my hand. Like a dab of loctite would have killed them?

On a more positive note, the 720 Axis seems to be the best of their breed. Very solid, sharp, nice knife. And a very early Walter Brend liner lock still gives good service.

Overall, I've been happier with Spypderco, even though they have QC troubles from time to time too.

Just got a 720 for Christmas. My first Benchmade and second good knife. A Buck Vanguard was my first good knife At 43, I'm tired of using poor quality knives and have learned much from the forum. Thanks for the insights.

The 720 is a great knife, smooth action and locks up tight. The edge is smooth and has no burrs (lightly drawing a plastic pen along the edge). Mine passes my quality control check with flying colors.

Brad

My only Benchmade is my 1 and a half year old Panther, and the liner has traveled almost all the way to the right... And, nope, it does NOT stand up to the "spine-whack test".

------------------
Tea drinker and hellraiser from Northern Sweden, above the arctic circle.

Liner locks have proven to be problematic for most companies producing hard use knives. As Benchmade continues to move towards the Axis as its primary locking mechanism the quality on that level will only improve. The 720 that I have is by far and away my favorite product that they have ever made, and I am hopeful that they will only improve the product line in the future.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

I have 7 Benchmade automatic`s,the best out of the Bunch is a AFO 9050 S it is Flawless. Benchmade also has Outstanding service.I rate them Them second best.I feel this because the Masters of Defense by Jim Ray has Better made automatic Knives with great OUTSTANDING SERVICE to boot. I rate Microtech Third Because even that there knives are the best,There SERVICE is VERY BAD!!SERVICE is almost more important than the Tool.

I have heard alot of stories about Benchmade QC issues. But I can only comment on what I know for sure. I have 2 benchmade's and both are flawless. The Pinnacle with it's mono-lock is incredible!! Like I stated, I don't own many Benchmade's, but from what I have seen I plan on getting MANY more.

------------------

Louis Buccellato
http://www.themartialway.com
Knives, Weapons and equipment. Best prices anywhere.
-------------

"only the paranoid will survive":)

Have several. Started with a Bali-song years ago. AFCK, Mini-AFCK, and prototype Axis Lock. The only one I've had trouble with is the Axis. Thumb stud hit the liners and scales, leaving a noticeable mark after a few openings. Great lock with poor execution. The original sharpness has gone down over time. Too bad, it seems like very good ergos with spotty QC. IMHO.

I guees I've been lucky so far. I own three benchmade knives{ Stryker, Eclipse & Ascent} & have had no serious problems. I 've been wanting to get an A.F.C.K. & after reading all the posts on the spotty Q.C. on Benchmades linerlocks, I now think that I may not buy one sight unseen, but go to a knife store where I can check out the knife before I buy it.

Doug

I have two.....850S and 730s...very pleased with the styling, performance, and workmanship on both of them.....

I've got a ton of Benchmades and i like them. They are not as sharp as Spydercos but most people who are forumites like to sharpen knives and change their blade angles anyway. My biggest problem with a BM was my first AFCK which had an extremely stiff liner and was hard to open. I really like all of the Axis Locks, i just bought an 830 and I love it.

I carry my 720bt everyday and I'm very pleased with it. I've owned several mini-reflexs an autostryker and a 3500 etc.
My opinion is you get what you pay for. I feel they are well made knives with the exception of the 720, it is exceptionally made and put together very well. I feel like I got alot of knife for 100 dollars.
I had a mini stryker and its liner lock moved all the way across the tang of the blade and rested against the liner, which gave me some concern.
I read all your guys posts
I appreciate it
ode

So far I've had the following: 975, AFCK, 330, 3000, 9100, two AFOs, and a mini-reflex. The only one that's had a problem is the AFCK, after carrying it for a year and a half the liner started rubbing. I know they've fallen a little out of favor, but my 975, which was the first Benchmade I bought, is still solid.
Tonk

I;ve had a bale of Benchmades and have never had any trouble with any of them.Lucky? Not too nitpickey? Could be.I'll check them out a little closer
wink.gif

------------------

have a"knife"day

Back