Bm43a Prototype

Edgefinder

Gold Member
Just got this today. Blade is etched "BM 43A PROTOTYPE June 2001". Don't know how many they made. Toss it in with the rest of'em.

BM43APROTO.jpg

BM43APROTO1.jpg

Lucky stiff !!! :) I've been buying production models of BMs and then selling them after finding prototypes for the collection. Sure, I do keep some to play with. My 42 proto is numbered 17 of 50. I'm not generally interested in anything other than prototypes or customs for the permanent collection. I, too have no idea how many of the 43A protos were made. Someday they "may" be worth a bit more -- value depends on total production, IMHO. Still, it's fun to dream. :) Anyone have a 49 SPL prototype --Dudley, Chuck ??? :)
Edit was to change my proto model number from a 43 to 42 ----oops, got fatfingered again, sorry !

Originally posted by OUCH
Anyone have a 49 SPL prototype --Dudley, Chuck ???
Yes there is one, and Chuck and Dudley doesn't have it.

Well, if someone could volunteer to track and figure out the production numbers for each of the Proto/Pre-Prod/First Prod of the BM's, the rest of us would be greatly appreciate it. Something along the lines of th 42 Sign-in sheet that Snipes runs would also help.

Tony, since most of the BM folks are "vacationing" in Las Vegas -- are the "introduction" balis, such as the 43's and 47's in the same category as the normal "pre-production" models ? Or, is this a different issue ? Thanks ---

Pete: My best answer to that is "Not sure". Bm has a certian way of sending bali's out the door. I think it's in the sequence I listed. For proof I submit the following pic from Chuck's collection:

Thanks, Tony --- IMO the subject is still "clouded" by BM's disdain for record keeping. They just don't appear to care about the history of the company and their products -- guess it's their perogotive !! For their standard production folders I have prototype, first production run, etc. -- the only "introduction models" that I've seen have been on the balis and I wonder where they "fit" in the standard marking scheme.

I have two "intro marked" balis as follows: Model 43BLK #ed 43/100 and a 47 #ed 099/ 100. BTW, I'm still copying and will send data after I return from the SHOT Show. Again, thanks for your input !

i anodized my handles as soon as i got it. i was just going to do the latch but got carried away and did the whole thing (not the blade) a light blue. i'd take a picture if i had a digital camera or a scanner.

does anybody know what the screws are made of. mine strip way to easy.

hehehe-- I have one of those too :D

Semi official word from the inside "if memory serves me correctly, we make around 50 of the prototypes on the 43" Not sure if that includes the "a" versions or not.

Back