BM705 vs. BM555: and the winner is....

pud

The Mini-Grip, oval hole. :cool:

Now, it's all personal preference based on how it feels in your hand. Obviously, people with large hands think both of these knives are too small, so your mileage may vary.

The Feel: For me, the Griptillian fits my hand perfectly, even better without the clip. The ridged liners at the thumb and finger choil are more, well, grippy, than those of the 705. The choil is substantial enough to keep my hand from slipping forward onto the blade, whereas the 705's feels like it would not (if wet, say). And, let's face it, a rectangular cross-section is not ergonomic. There's no way I can grip it that really feels as secure at the Griptillian.
Opening: no contest, the 555's hole is easy to get to for a smooth (non-threatening) opening, and also gives you the option of flicking the blade out with your index finger-- way cool. The thumbstud on the 705 is so tight on the scales that, if my hands are moist, it's a wee hard to get to, and it's AXIS has stonger retention (which is a good thing) but it's less easy to open.
(I didn't say "hard" to open, just "less easy." We're talking about an AXIS here.)
Construction: no contest here, the 705 clearly wins. That thing is built like a tiny, beautiful tank. The way that blade snaps open and closed-- magnifique! and of course, the materials are all a grade above the grippy. Thing is, the 555 isn't a slouch in this department, either. (and actually, the AXIS has a larger "cleaning hole" in the liner, making lint/dirt removal a bit easier.)

All in all, I feel a little guilty about liking the 555 more, since the 705 is supposed to be better (or at least worth twice as much.) Now I just want a blue one.

So- Am I wrong here? Knutty, perhaps? Don't know.
Do I sell the 705? Tough call. It's nice just having it- but I can't have one of everything, either.

:)

I don't really remember but I think I handled a 705 before. This was before I was familiar with the Benchmade line. If the knife I handled was in fact the 705 (I am 95% sure) then it wasn't impressive at all. The blade seemed much too short and tiny and the handle much too large. I preferred the mini-AFCK although my tastes generally don't favour smaller knives so I am biased :)

Never handled a mini-Grip but the proportions seems more attractive to me. All they need to do is upgrade that steel...

Originally posted by curious2003

Never handled a mini-Grip but the proportions seems more attractive to me. All they need to do is upgrade that steel...

Have you ever owned or used a knife with 440C steel?

If the answer is anything other than "Yes" I would recommend you do so before knocking it.

Pud, you're not nutty at all. In terms of functionality 555 has several advantages over the 705. The increased price of the 705 is more a matter of luxury then practicality.

They are both excellent knives, but looking at the prices the 555 is a clear winner.

Curious: I have to agree with fishbulb on that one. It's been brought up before that most people would never be able to tell the difference from steel to steel if they didn't know what it was before hand. When you're talking ATS-34/154CM vs 440C, the difference is nearing minute proportions. Don't let the steel choice disuade you from getting the knife. It's still a great piece.

Pud,
I can’t compare Mini-Gripty with 705 thoroughly since I do not have 705. And I don’t have 705 because 710 doesn’t fit my hand the best way. No, I can’t say with clear cut that it would be uncomfortable for me, just another BM’s fit my hand better, adult Gripty for example. Quite naturally I have handled 705 at different knife shows and stores and this convinced me that the handle is not my cup of tea.
For me, the Griptillian fits my hand perfectly, even better without the clip
Indeed, their standard clip is somewhat onto big side for mini versions. I would advise them to make compact version of standard clip for compact models.
Construction: no contest here, the 705 clearly wins
Hmm, quite disputable matter :) Model 705 is very nicely designed and built, however its construction is pretty average for knives at this price range. But the Gripty is true state of technical art! Mini’s are somewhat simpler, they have full length steel liners inside injection molded Noryl GTX scales. But the adult Gripty’s are built very elegantly looking from engineering point of view, no one redundant gram of steel or plastic! Here is mine with removed scale to show how it looks inside:
Grip_01.jpg

Here is my Mini Gripty 556 with olive drab handle (not the best photo, it looks like black :()
grip_mini_01.jpg

Neat knife, however I prefer this one for everyday carry:
grip_02.jpg

Bigger handle fits my hand way better and safer. Since I’m not limited to 3-inche blade length limit I prefer somewhat bigger knives mostly due to handling comfort and security. However going somewhere where I should fit within 3-inche limit it is pretty hard decision for me to choose between Mini Gripty and SPYDERCO Delica :)

And thanks for you comparison! :)

No I am not "knocking" 440C in any way. It's just to me I would prefer a "better" steel even if the differences are not so readily apparent. Yet if steel didn't matter then I suppose NOBODY would be able to tell the difference between the various types offered now and we would all be happy paying $100+ for Cold Steel folders with AUS8...

i'm sure 440 is nice. I have a blade made our of 440A and I think it's quite useable. The mini-Grip design is pretty attractive and I seriously considered buying one. However when I compared the price to a Zytel handled Delica with VG-10 I couldn't choose it over the Spydie even with the AXIS

However if it had a steel such as 154CM, I'm not asking for VG-10 or higher, I would have definitely chosen it.

If I am paying money for a product I want the best for my money. The best to me is not 440C. I do not mind paying a bit more for higher grade steel. If steel didn't matter so much nobody would be asking for S30V or more M2/D2 in the BM line...

Again I do not doubt 440C's performance but I think most ppl have a preference for a "better" steel if given the choice correct?

Originally posted by curious2003
Yet if steel didn't matter then I suppose NOBODY would be able to tell the difference between the various types offered now and we would all be happy paying $100+ for Cold Steel folders with AUS8...

...If steel didn't matter so much nobody would be asking for S30V or more M2/D2 in the BM line...

...Again I do not doubt 440C's performance but I think most ppl have a preference for a "better" steel if given the choice correct?

Actually, I would maintain that most of the clamoring for "better" steels is driven by the manufacturer's marketing departments rather than a matter of genuine performance.

Performance is determined by design first, materials second.

Of course, "better" is a relative term anyway.

I agree with Fishbulb. The type of steel may mean how many more or less chips you'll get in the edge and how soon you may need to touch it up, but a great knife in 440A through 440V will outcut a so-so knife in S30V.

Hello again Thom. Trust those 'dungarees' aren't being ravaged too badly these days and that your wife isn't questioning you too closely in that regard.

Anyway I think you guys are evading a point a bit. Sure design is more important, at least within a range of certain steels. But that does not mean steel choice, even within that range, is altogether insignificant.

It is going to be a very natural inclination for people purchasing a highish end production folder to want the 'latest and greatest' steel, much of the time. Sure it may not in fact be the 'ideal' they have in mind, for their usage or whatever, but they will still go for it, because they want to cover every base to the extent they can, they want to be 'current', and so on. In certain respects, there will often be a measurable superiority, also - like say in relation to S30V or even coated M2.

Bang for buck, don't care if you lose it etc, the Griptilian range is a more sensible choice than a 705 I'd say. But all things considered, I much prefer the 705. Not all of that preference is 'logical', but some of it is.

so if they both had blades of 154CM (or S30V, say) How would you compare the two in terms of design? Or in terms of any other factor you deem important?

and thanks for all your inputs!
:)

Hi, Switched!

I can see that point and my checkbook represents it. S30V was what initially drove me to my pocket-shredding 921 and my fun-to-hold, almost-as-fun-to-use Native. Now that I'm actually taking the time to use the knives in my EDC rotation, I see steel-type as a tertiary consideration if the knife isn't extensively used day-in/day-out.

Of course, even though I know that a good knife in 154CM or AUS-8 will do more than I ask of it, I still want my M2 or that silly S30V stuff.

I think Gator compared a Strider in S30V to a Nimravus in M2 for cutting cardboard. IIRC, the Strider was still shaving sharp when it lost its ability to make low-force cuts, but the Nimravus kept cutting cardboard despite losing its shaving ability. In such a case, the Strider won in the "edge-retention" category, but lost for being applicable to that particular task. In heavier, chopping uses, the Strider's S30V may chip a little (my 921 chipped when I stabbed it through a door on my shed), but the Nimravus's M2 wouldn't make up for its lighter weight. This is for example only. I do not mean to misrepresent Zvi's findings or upset the legions of Strider and Nimravus fans.

Great hearing from you again, Switched! Take care!

I like the 550 alot, but persoanlly I found it to be too bulky for an edc. I did recently buy a 710 which im quite happy with. I did want to buy the 705, but I knew from its specs it would be too small for what I wanted. Ideally if there were a medium size between the 705, and 710 That would have worked out well. With all that said though my 710 ended up being more user friendly than I thought. Not too bulky in the pocket, doesnt print. A good size knife for most anything. I think it will make a good camper also. It fits my hand well which is a big plus, and it is built like a tank!!!

Originally posted by pud
so if they both had blades of 154CM (or S30V, say) How would you compare the two in terms of design? Or in terms of any other factor you deem important?

In terms of design, the shape of the blade, the shape of the handle, the grind of the blade, the type and quality of the lock would be what I'm looking at.

Will the lock and handle keep my hand away from the blade? Will the grind assist or hinder my cutting and can I resharpen it? Does the shape of the blade make cutting easier or more difficult than I would like and can I resharpen it?

For use, a flat-ground, thin, and pointy blade (such as a clip point or a wharncliffe) is great for wood carving, cutting string, plastic, envelopes or poking holes in tough material. For looking great and resharpening quickly, a hollow-ground blade is hard to beat.

To pit two company's designs against each other, a 154CM AFCK would be a better user than an S30V Voyager large clip point (though I think that the Voyager looks better).

Does that help or am I rambling in circles?

Back