BM750 vs. Large Sebenza

Alright, alright. I'm convinced.

Now, where is the best place to get one? Does it matter? Can I get one directly from Chris Reeve Knives? What is the turnaround time?

I don't suppose there is anyone out there that wants to just GIVE me one is there?
smile.gif

(It's worth a shot isn't it?)

Thanks for all the input folks,

Brian.
brianthornburg@home.com

One correction: The Benchmade 750 is not crap. It's a good solid $100+ knife. It's not a $300+ knife. The Sebenza is a good solid $300+ knife. If Benchmade tried to give the 750 the same detail work that goes into a Sebenza, the prices wouldn't be so far apart.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

Brian -

In Chicago, Sebenza's are available at Halstead and Lake (I think the store is called Northwest cutlery). I own a small Sebenza and love it. I told one of the workers there about the knife and he immediately began to plan on saving for one.

Terrific knife, holds an edge great.

Hello I agree with James M. the Benchmade is a solid knife and I own both the Benchmade 750 (Pinnacle old version) and a Brand New Large Sebenza and the Sebenza goes back this week to CRK because the grind lines of the blade are off 1/8" something I never ever have seen with a $100 Benchmade knife. Well to be honest it's also the first time I saw it with a Large Sebenza (Murphy's Law allways somehow seems to get to me). On the positive side the Sebenza's blade 'sounds' like my grandfathers strait razor when one ticks against the blade. It's hard and tuff and sharp.
Keep safe, Nimrod

------------------

I'll have to agree with both James M. and svnimrod. The 750 is not junk. It is an excellent $100 knife and will do every cutting job almost as well, if not *as well as* the Sebenza. It's easy to jump on the 'Benza bandwagon but let's not summarily discount the Pinnacle. The Sebenza's got better steel and better edge geometery but the 750 is no slouch either.

Now, having said that if you do have the extra $$$ go for the Sebenza. If you want to carry it every day and not worry too much about frightening people go for the "small" one. I traded my way into a large and after a month or so traded it out for a small. The small 'benza cuts like the dickens and is easily the best pocket knife I've ever owned. I've never once wished that I had that extra 1/2 inch of edge...

If you want a user and abuser you can buy 3 750's for the same price. Benchmade's service is pretty darn good - they just can't match the quality of a semi-production shop like CRK.

In summary:
1) 750 not crap
2) Buy Sebenza

Cheers,

Jon

KAJNIN,

I don't have a problem with you saying that the Semi Production Sebenzas are in a different league from the production knives but I have a major problem with you saying that production knives are Crap!

The majority of the production knives today especially the higher end lines are excellent values.

------------------
AKTI Member No. A000370

Me again. I gotta disagree with the "all production folders have blade play" statement. Tons of them don't. My $100 Axis Lock does not. $50 CRKT M-16's and Mirage's don't. I've got a cheapo $5 frost lockback that locks up as solid as my Sebenza.

It's cool to ride the Sebenza bandwagon but try to be a little more realistic...

Jon

Gentleman, as the kids would say, this subject is so played.

It is all relative. Relative value, relative perceptions.

Once you have a Buck it is hard to go back to a knock-off. Once you have had a Benchmade, it is hard to go back to a Buck. Once you have had a Sebenza, it is hard to go back to a Benchmade. For some, once you have gone Custom, a Sebenza is just another production knife, despite quality considerations.

Only trial and error will reveal the right choice for you.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

Kanji,

You're coming very close to crossing the line. Be nice, or be banned. You have the right to say that all production knives are crap, it's your opinion, but you have to back up your claims. What production knives do you have and why do you think they're crap. Sebenzas are very nice, but saying all productions are crap is going a little far.

------------------
Johnny
<FONT COLOR=#ff0000>[</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>]</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>[</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>]</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>></FONT>

Kanji,

I just looked up your profile and it says you are NINJAK. You were causing some trouble over on knifeforms not too long ago also. You've been a member for a while now, I suggest you watch yourself.

------------------
Johnny
<FONT COLOR=#ff0000>[</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>]</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>[</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>]</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>></FONT>

Kajnin (or Ninjak or whatever), I *do* have a Sebenza. Yes, it's a great knife. Yes, it's easy to notice the differences between it and regular production knives. No, those differences do not make the production folders less safe or usuable.

You're acting childish, for eveyone's benefit please try to contribute positively in the future.

Jon

Saw some references to the S-2, to few. I recently acquired one and like it a lot. Anyone else have a any feelings regarding an S-2 / Pinnacle comparison?

I have it from CRKT that new, smaller size S-2 frame locks will be introduced after the first of the year.

I recently went from carrying an EZ-out to the S-2. Some day I will own a Sebenza, but that will be when my carrying, usage, and sharpening skills have advanced. OK, and the money thing too.

Mario

------------------
"Nothing in life is as important as your reaction to it." - GBS

Between the CRKT S2 and the BM 750, my eye likes the S2, but my hand likes the 750.

Among other things, the S2 clip is uncomfortable in the hand, and the lock release could use a bit of beveling. If I was going to carry one, I'd get out the Dremel Tool first.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

Hi James,

Thank you for the input.

The S-2 sits well in my hand, but I would not mind bevelling the inner lower edge of the lock. Is it as simple as just a little work with the Dremel?

Mario

I got a couple of Sebenzas and three 750s (yes, I'm one of those who buy multiple knives). I like and use both knives, and no, I don't expect my 750s to surpass my Sebs. Why should I? That's the one point why I paid an extra $200 for each Sebenza. The 750 is NOT CRAP. It'll do what other folders out there could do in its price range, and then some. Now let's say I buy a Darrel Ralph Apogee in talonite. Would that transform my Sebenzas to crap? I don't think so.

About S2. I got the chance to handle some at my local knife dealer. To me the handles seem a little too wide for my hands. And I was not too excited about the blade shape either. I'm looking forward to handling the smaller ones though.

------------------
Reynaert

Alright everyone, I've made my decision.

Thanks to Tor for the information, I'm going into the city tomorrow morning to pick up a Large Decorated Sebenza (they don't have any plain ones.) While I'm there, I'll compare it side by side with the BM750 which he also has in stock.

Thanks for all of the information and input.

Brian.
brianthornburg@home.com

I met Chris Reeve at the NYCKS, yesterday. I have no intentions of buying one of his knives at this time, it's just not what I'm looking for. I am very impressed with his knives, all of you are right, they don't get much better than this. I was far more impressed with the man. He said when he came from South Africa, he used Sears as his guide for customer service. Like with Craftsman tools, if you buy one they will replace it for life. Chris said so will he. He told TooTall and me of a guy who had bought one of his knives from a dealer or second hand, and was complaining about the edge. Chris looked and all he could see was a minor defect. Instead os just resharpening it Chris gave him a new knife. Wouldn't it be great if everyone stood behind their product like that? You can't go wrong if you deal with a man or company like that.

Guys, I hate to pour gas on this fire... but, I would strongly suggest if you have any doubts, don't buy a Sebenza. It is a great knife, but once you get one, you are screwed... Great customer service, strangers that will see the clip and say, "Hey, a Sebenza!, do you like it?" Lots of dumb looks from non-knifeaholics and often heard statement... "$300+ for a KNIFE? Are you nuts?" Besides, once you get a large, then you start lusting for a decorated Sebenza, then a decorated damascus Sebenza... see what I mean? Okay St.James, we need to talk... you don't NEED all those Sebenzas...

------------------
"A conclusion is where you stopped thinking..."

Lots of good observations here.

I notice Kajnin is now conspicuously absent.

Has his membership status been revoked, and his remarks (rude tho they were) been purged without comment?

Like locked and moved threads, I'd prefer if moderators would include a notification about editing the posts. Even with the best of intentions, editing has the somewhat unsettling effect of revising history (to me at least).

------------------
Longden Loo - Ventura, CA
Technology's the answer, what's the question?

Back