Bob Dozier Knives

Mr. Dozier, thanks for making great knives!!!
smile.gif

Bob,
It's great to see you posting on here. I learned about your "lurker" status on the fourms just today from a young lady who's dad used to work for you. I own a couple of your knives and love them.
Thanks for popping in!

Originally posted by ChuckSmith:
Originally posted by Ravenn:
I,m curious if any of you Dozier Elk Hunter owners feel this is a suitable general camp knife,

I must agree with Chuck that this knife would make a great camp knife, even though it is designed as a large hunter/skinner(at which it is awesome, by the way! Completely doing two caribou, and still able to shave hair!!!)
Since I purchased this tool, I've found I have not needed to pull out my GB Forrester or my trailmaster, when setting up camp, preparing food, or even building fires(although, small deadfall is plentiful where I live, so big logs can breath a sigh of relief). I've had no trouble with the edge chipping or anything else, even when light chopping. This knife will do anything you could expect of a knife this size, and it'll do it better than most. For larger chores, you may need the axe, but that's what it's for.
Why do I spend time looking for the perfect do-it-all knife when I know I'm going to bring 4 or 5 anyway?
As good as this knife is, I would still like to buy a Pro Guide, maybe two, but do you think Mr. Dozier would make me a 7,8 or 9 inch version? It would be nice to replace my very well used and loved Trailmaster with a Dozier.
Also, someone please tell me how to explain to my wife why I need to get a Slim Outdoorsman AND a Straight Hunter. I've explained the different dimensions and handle shapes, but she's not buying it.

Jet.

All Right! It's nice to have Bob Dozier himself post on the forum. As I said, I have several Doziers and use them all. They're, "good in the woods!" And I'm still pestering Mrs. Dozier every so often about another one for my growing collection. How about that picture of the Small Game Knife? Anyone, help please?

I just ordered a Pro Guide's knife today.
What a pleasure it was speaking to Linda Dozier.
I ordered the knife with light brown (natural) micarta handle slabs and file work ridges on the spine for my thumb. How will I ever stand the 8-10 week wait for delivery?
BTW, nice hearing from you Bob. But don't spend too much time here. We need you where you're most valuable, in the shop making more knives.
Lenny

I've had my eye on the Dozier WR Skinner and Master Hunter from AG Russell's site for awhile and hope to add them to my stash sometime this year. I've had the chance to play with a Slim Outdoorsman and I was real impressed with it.

Andrew L

------------------
"Praise not the day until evening has come;a sword until it is tried; ice until it has been crossed; beer until it has been drunk" - Viking proverb

[This message has been edited by redvenom (edited 03-29-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by redvenom:
I've had my eye on the Dozier WR Skinner and Master Skinner from AG Russell's site for awhile and hope to add them to my stash sometime this year. I've had the chance to play with a Slim Outdoorsman and I was real impressed with it.

Andrew L

</font>

The "White River" Skinner and the "Master Hunter" are both excellent blades. The Master Hunter is unique in many ways and for a large knife it has great balance....due to it's handle to blade ratio. My dad has one with dark red micarta and it is his favorite. The "Slim Outdoorsman" may be the best all around hunting/field/utility knife I have ever used. The "General Utility" is also a favorite and I was lucky enough to pick up another for sale here on the forum! Thanks.

I feel compelled to chime in here too. I met Mr. Dozier at the East Coast Custom show in New York City the year his lovely wife accidently sliced open her hand. I was quite taken by the presence of the man, soft-spoken and yet commanding. His drop-point, frame-lock folders in D2 were the only knives left on his table by the time I swung by. Sorry I didn't pick one up then. Maybe next time, Bob. Great work. Nice of you to post here, too. And good to watch this thread grow with the folks who stand by your work and those who have stood by your side.

Regards,
Douglas

Master Hunter on order from AG(maple handle) and T-1 on order from Dozier. First encountered Bob's work in Latham's "Knives and Knifemakers". Bob along with Sigman and Loveless define stock removal knife making and set the pattern for over a generation of knifemakers. Dick. Bob, please make me a collector version of your Master Hunter with stainless guard. Have talked to Linda about this and she says it is up to you. Please.

[This message has been edited by budrichard (edited 03-29-2001).]

[This message has been edited by budrichard (edited 03-29-2001).]

Just got my Dozier General Purpose Hunter with red micarta scales tonight. My initial impression is that I own a LOT of hunting knives but in many ways I feel this is my first REAL one. This is one of the most awesome working hunting knives I've ever handled. It's clear that Bob KNOWS how to design a functional hunter. It reminds me of a classic butcher knife design, but smaller and more nimble and more elegantly styled. I absolutely love it and it's a nice addition to my other two Doziers.

Yabba dabba dooooo!
smile.gif

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM

Bob, correction, Master Skinner on order from AG and would like custom version. Again Please. Dick

Dozier Master Skinner with Maple Burl handle just arrived from AG Russell, http://www.agrknives.com/dozier/dk-k21.html
I don't know why I waited 30 years to purchase a Dozier. This is a hell of a knife! The blade is what I call scary sharp. The fit and finish are excellent. The handle style is excellent and you can choke up in front of the choil. The only thing I would like to see changed is the fact that it does not have a tapered tang. Blade thickness is about 4mm and tapering the tang would save some weight. The golden Maple Burl is really beautiful. The sheath is as good as any I have seen in Kydex and the knife just snaps right into place. Bob, is you are lurking, When and if you decide to make me a custom, use this blade pattern, SS guard and bolts with either Golden Maple Burl or Ivory Micarta. No thong hole. Dick

[This message has been edited by budrichard (edited 03-31-2001).]

Hey GC,
Do what I did. Got tired of waiting to see a pic, so I ordered a Small Game last Monday. I'll have a pic, but it's going to take 10 to 12 weeks.
wink.gif

While we're patting Dozier on the back (deservedly!), here is a cut/paste from a long but I thought really good thread on "dropped point hunting blades":

"The Semi-skinner design is arguably even better than the dropped point, as it often has a sharper point, more "sway" and plenty of clearance upside down, and more belly than the drop point for a given blade width.

And Bob Dozier has a design that is right between the two, a masterful, clean hunter blade design... see his K2 General Purpose Hunting Knife for about the nicest balance of traits you could ask for in a true medium/large game hunting knife."
http://www.dozierknives.com/

And if you wanna read some good dialogue on skinning game from some guys who seem to have done a whole bunch of it (and I don't mean me!), here is the link:

http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum64/HTML/002630.html

[This message has been edited by rdangerer (edited 03-31-2001).]

Chip,
Who did you order your Small Game from? I'm waiting on a Straight Personal which is on backorder right now from A.G. Russell. I swore to my wife that six Doziers would do me. What can I tell her now?
wink.gif

GC,
I ordered it from Linda. Super lady. Answers all your questions!!! Gives Bob more time to make our knives!!!
smile.gif
My K-4 took 12 weeks, but there was a knife show in there.
Linda said 10 to 12 week wait for this one.
Also ordered a Arkansas Toothpick.
GC, I think your wife will understand. Ask my wife how many times I said, "this is the last one"!!! "I promise"!!!
wink.gif

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1042079&Auth=false

Can't believe that Bob actually posted on here!
smile.gif

I'm also a big Dozier fan and have purchased most of the Fixed blade models, two that I really love are the Pro-Skinner and the KM-1. Both take a beating and keep on cutting.

------------------
Green Acres is the Place To Be, Hard Livin is the Life For Me.

Update on Master Skinner. Knife bit me 24 hours after I aquired it! Pulling knife out of sheath, did not have hand far enough back. Small cut on forefinger. Used knife to cut 6 # pork butt, bone in. Zip, Zip ,Zip! Sharpest knife I have ever used! Just decimated that pork butt. Can't wait till deer hunting. I skin ,quarter,cut and wrap my own venison. This knife will be something to use. Dick

Back