Recommendation? Bohler K890 Hunt

Hi,

Looking for fellow makers who have any experience with this material, maybe even possession. This steel is a 5% Cr family PM Tool Steel which shows excellent (around or beyond CPM3V) toughness and great edge stability. Currently impossible to find it. Only saw it with a few custom makers and Survive knives (who custom roll the material). I try to find some of this material for testing in reasonable size.

If you have any experience with the steel or its heat treatment, if you know any source to purchase, please do not hesitate to share. I already contacted Bohler Uddelholm for availability, but custom rolling for this material with the minimum quantity is beyond 50k USD without Tax. Obviously thats beyond reach for most of the Custom Makers

Thanks

Zoltan

K890*Fe0.85Cr 4.35 Mo 2.80V 2.10W 2.55Co 4.50Ni 0.00Mn?Si 0.55S ?P ?Cu 0.00Nb 0.00N 0.00PMBohler-Uddeholm

Last edited:
Hi,

Looking for fellow makers who have any experience with this material, maybe even possession. This steel is a 5% Cr family PM Tool Steel which shows excellent (around or beyond CPM3V) toughness and great edge stability. Currently impossible to find it. Only saw it with a few custom makers and Survive knives (who custom roll the material). I try to find some of this material for testing in reasonable size.

If you have any experience with the steel or its heat treatment, if you know any source to purchase, please do not hesitate to share. I already contacted Bohler Uddelholm for availability, but custom rolling for this material with the minimum quantity is beyond 50k USD without Tax. Obviously thats beyond reach for most of the Custom Makers

Thanks

Zoltan

K890*Fe0.85Cr 4.35Mo 2.80V 2.10W 2.55Co 4.50Ni 0.00Mn?Si 0.55S ?P ?Cu 0.00Nb 0.00N 0.00PMBohler-Uddeholm
I’m very interested in this steel too. Also the new k888 matrix. That one really intrigues me. I just have no clue where I can get any to try it!

I’m very interested in this steel too. Also the new k888 matrix. That one really intrigues me. I just have no clue where I can get any to try it!

Yep, K888 was just shared by Roman (K Knives) and Larrin right after that. Both of these steels are very promising. Corrosion resistance was never a big issue for me and if you let that slip, the rest of the performance looks stellar.

Back