Boker Albatros

So I wont lie, Im a Spydie guy & have the Southard, Techno, and Leafstom. If u cant tell, I dig collaboration knives & titanium frame locks :D I am looking at the Albatros for the 2nd, maybe 3rd or 4th time... Did the 2nd run fix the blade lock up? I wanted one so bad when it first came out until reviews started to flood in about blade rock & went with the Techno instead. Anyone have a 2nd run?

Yes, the problems were fixed between the first and second runs.
Terry

Answered via VM, but yes, I will take care of it for you.
Terry

Thanks. May pull the trigger on one of these. Been looking at the 67 & Haddock from the Tree line too

Ohhhhh, stay away from the Haddock!! I knew the quality of the Boker Tree Line slipjoints - then I had to get a new Haddock from a local store. It was easy - I used a Father's Day gift credit. But - it begot many more Boker Solingen line purchases from that evil local sharp thing emporium!

In all seriousness, the Haddock is a keeper. The slight sweep of it's blade when combined with it's pronounced hollow grind and stout spine make it a great slicer - making mini slices from an over ripe grape tomato is easy as is making a fuzz stick. After several years I have touched up it's Bohler N690 blade several times with a strop - and once with the white files from my Sharpmaker. The blade is still centered and has no play. The sculpted handle feels natural in my hand and produced no hot spots. It's lite weight makes in pocket carry effortless. My stone washed blade still looks as good as new, too - keeper!

Stainz

How do we tell whether we have a first or second run? I'm thinking of getting one. Also, do 2nd runs also have issues?

I got mine from BHQ a couple weeks ago. They were out of stock for about a year and just got them in about a month or two ago. I assume these were the 2nd run, but couldn't tell a difference between the 2. the blade tang was the exact same, so either they made changes somewhere else in the knife or not at all :confused: Terry please chime in if u can clarify. Was gonna have it repaired, but think im just gonna get a refund and use the money to get a Minos. Selling a couple other knives to get a Strider SMF too :D

I got mine from BHQ a couple weeks ago. They were out of stock for about a year and just got them in about a month or two ago. I assume these were the 2nd run, but couldn't tell a difference between the 2. the blade tang was the exact same, so either they made changes somewhere else in the knife or not at all :confused: Terry please chime in if u can clarify. Was gonna have it repaired, but think im just gonna get a refund and use the money to get a Minos. Selling a couple other knives to get a Strider SMF too :D

May pass up on the Albatross that may show up at my door!

The Minos is outstanding. Very well made in Germany with all titanium handles and frame lock. The stonewashed look matches up well throughout. I've only had mine for a few days but carry it all the time since the bade length of 3 inches is legal in L.A. The Minos is a Strider (I have the SMF GG) but smaller, much beefier and much heavier.

May pass up on the Albatross that may show up at my door!

The Minos is outstanding. Very well made in Germany with all titanium handles and frame lock. The stonewashed look matches up well throughout. I've only had mine for a few days but carry it all the time since the bade length of 3 inches is legal in L.A. The Minos is a Strider (I have the SMF GG) but smaller, much beefier and much heavier.

I am kinda transitioning into higher end knives right now. Currently own a Spyderco Southard, Techno, and Leafstorm & had the Albatros but like I said am gonna get a refund & get the Minos, love Jens Anso's designs!!! Was wanting to get your thoughts on Striders. I'm parting with the Techno & Leafstorm to help fund the SMF 3/4 grind leggo. Would u say Striders r worth the money? I know its a controversial & opinionated debate, but am conflicted since I've never spent over $300 on a knife before. Really want a hard use knife with no BS. Its gonna be a user for sure :)

The Minos is an awesome knife, and I happen to be very fond of Striders as well. I have quite a few of them.
T

I am kinda transitioning into higher end knives right now. Currently own a Spyderco Southard, Techno, and Leafstorm & had the Albatros but like I said am gonna get a refund & get the Minos, love Jens Anso's designs!!! Was wanting to get your thoughts on Striders. I'm parting with the Techno & Leafstorm to help fund the SMF 3/4 grind leggo. Would u say Striders r worth the money? I know its a controversial & opinionated debate, but am conflicted since I've never spent over $300 on a knife before. Really want a hard use knife with no BS. Its gonna be a user for sure :)

Looks like my Albatros got shipped so I'll have to check it out and decide...

Striders are great. Hard use and very light.

To me the Minos is a real sleeper. The only conceivable point of complaint for some is the weight. Thinking of getting a second...

So... I left for work early tonight to stop by the post office & send out the Albatros for a refund. I payed for the shipping sticker & slapped it on the priority box & sealed it up... Forgot to put the piece of paper in the box with all my information, so I gently tried to reopen it and ripped the adhesive off & there was no tape around to tape it back up... Went into work thinking i could tape it up there and run to the post office on my lunch breake... No tape there either. So no I am taking this as I sign that I shouldn't part with the knife. Think I might give them a chance to make this right & repair it after all, lol

Got mine today. Solid and beefy. Lock up is only at 10%. Almost doesn't look the lock isn't engaged but actually solid. Lock a little sticky but not an issue yet. If it becomes an issue I'll apply sharpie.

Got mine today. Solid and beefy. Lock up is only at 10%. Almost doesn't look the lock isn't engaged but actually solid. Lock a little sticky but not an issue yet. If it becomes an issue I'll apply sharpie.

Glad to hear yours is solid. Spoke to Terry today, realy nice guy. Felt bad, bugged him twice today, lol. Sent it out tonight for repair. Will post an update when I get it back from Boker. No the question is do I want to wait 6 months for the Sniper Bladeworks DH to come out, or get the GTC Federal now? lol

Now the question is do I want to wait 6 months for the Sniper Bladeworks DH to come out, or get the GTC Federal now? lol

I have the GTC Federal and it was perfect from day one. The clip is weird but works. Looks fantastic.

However, my answer is Minos. Fort Knox!

Back