Boker and Case Sodbusters

mikeymoto

Lifetime Platinum Membership
Permit me to allow the photos to do most of the talking. I've had a black Case Sodbuster Jr. going on a little while now and I like it very much. I've added a little clip on the blade to make it more useful to me. I bought a couple more Soddies recently, one Boker Gaucho Jr. with yellow handles and another Case Sodbuster Jr. with chrome vanadium steel and the yellow delrin handles.

I don't think the quality is really so great on either of them, but I guess that's what one gets with a ~$20 knife. Looking back on my purchase of the black Soddie Jr. I think I was quite lucky because its quality is overall very good. Keep in mind when looking at the pictures below that both yellow-handled knives are brand new today and have not been handled or used beyond taking these photos. I did wipe the blades down though.

Here are the two Cases, the bottom being the one I added the clip on. The finish on the CV blade of the yellow-handled one is much more polished and doesn't have the etch on the side of the blade. I personally do not prefer a polished blade, so score one for the black Soddie for me.
3006383763_de3b907198_b.jpg

Following are some close-up comparison shots of the Boker Gaucho Jr. (always on left) and the Case Sodbuster Jr. (always on right). The Boker is ground off-center at the tip. I can fix that but it's annoying. The Case blade on the other hand is quite off-center when closed. I don't think I can fix that. I know the knife works fine, but it's annoying nevertheless, and the blade already shows marks from rubbing the liner on that side. Also note the liner/handle fitment on each.
3007203532_27bcb76a9f_b.jpg

3006375279_dec29ee176_b.jpg

3006371881_3e34db18ab_b.jpg

3007205284_7212439923_b.jpg

Here are some close-ups of the tang stamps on each:
3006377475_33692d6c9c_b.jpg

3006379193_b76963000a_b.jpg

3006381015_4396a4e2f7_b.jpg

Not only is the blade of the Case very much off-center, but the grind isn't so good on it either. Here's its tip on the left side:
3007216408_5731ce7e9b_b.jpg

I vastly prefer the delrin handle material to Boker's polypropylene; the delrin has some warmth to it, a little more heft I think, and most certainly some rubber-like grip.

I'm looking to get a Queen Country Cousin in D2 sometime so I can compare with that as well.

I like what you did with your original sodbuster - how did you do it, exactly? It looks almost like a spey blade.

James

I took it to my 1x30 belt sander and took my time with a 9 micron Silicon Carbide belt and lots of dunking in water. I also took the sharp corners off the top of the sides of the blade at the spine.

The mod you did looks sweet.

As for the fit, I'm kinda shocked. But like you said, "I guess that's what one gets with a ~$20 knife."

I have a large Case sodbuster from 86, and I don't remember it being that ruff. I'll have to look.

Great pics and review, thanks
Helle

I have the same 3 soddies and I agree with your assessments my CV Case is much better quality than the one in your pics. Maybe you should consider sending it to Case for a refit. They do great work. The grinds on the Boker are awful aren't they? I use my Boker for nasty work and it holds up really well to abuse but it is UGLY and a little cheap looking. Love both of my Case Jr's and the nod goes to the stainless more often than the CV for EDC. Cool mod by the way.:thumbup:

Back