Boker/GTC Federal First Thoughts and Initial Review Pic HEAVY

I don't know about you guys but when I first heard about a Boker/GTC collab I was psyched. I have loved his designs since I first saw a damascus Supersonic for sale on JD. IIRC the price was $3k+, which is more than I will ever be able to spend on a knife until I hit the lottery, so a production collab is a god-send. Right away, there are a couple things that will turn some people off of this knife: Made in China, 440C. I tell you right now, this is the nicest Chinese knife I've ever owned. Fit and finish is right on and I haven't noticed anything that bugs me other than the blade favoring the non-lock side. Not rubbing or anything, but definitely off center, which I usually expect from a frame lock or liner lock. As for 440C, Boker has been doing it a long time and they know what's up. I've been carrying this one and playing with it nonstop since it came in the mail and think I can give you some preliminary thoughts on it. So let's break it down.

Unboxing:

It comes in the standard Boker type box. Pivot tool is included. Mine is marked # 0424. Lock up is maybe 40%, no play in any direction, no lock rock. Flips like an absolute dream, 0 wrist movement needed. The jimping/design on the spine of the blade is very nice. Grippy but not sharp.

A closer look:

Knife specs:
-Construction: Flow through
-Lengths: 3.27" (blade), 7.95" (overall)
-Weight: 4.9 oz.
-Handles: Ti, with carbon fiber inserts
-Blade: Hollow ground 440C
-Bearing system: IKBS
-Manipulation: Flipper
-Lock: Frame lock
-Pocket clip: Integral RH tip up
-Country of Mfg: China

A closer look:

Ok, let's talk about the pocket clip. I don't like it. It is integrated into the knife and allows for RH tip up carry only. It is attached to a mini cut out on the frame on the front scale. The lock bar side is recessed so the pocket clip blends into the frame when not in use. This makes for a very sleek design and makes the knife very fun to play with but after carrying it for 3 days it kind of makes it a pain in pants with a thicker pocket lip. It can be a tight squeeze and I can't put it in my pocket one handed. I still need both hands to manipulate the clip and get it on the pocket. Now, that being said, it is the most discreet pocket clip I've ever seen, almost unnoticeable. And though it is a short stubby clip, it grips the pocket tight and there is 0 chance it will fall out of your pocket. Maybe I'll grow to like it with a little more use and practice, but as of now, not my favorite clip. A regular clip would ruin the design, so I'll live with it.

Overall thoughts:

Overall, I like this knife. Like I said, I love GTC's designs and this lives up to that love. The IKBS makes it a dream to flip and the fit and finish is on par with most production knives I've had, I have yet to notice any production flaws. It's a rather robust knife and I would have no qualms about using it hard. Even though is is on the larger- if not necessarily longer side it carries well in the pocket, it's nice and slim. In the future, I would like to see Boker do something like this with one of GTC's crazier blade designs, I'd buy one of those too. So, in conclusion, if you're looking for something out of the ordinary and you're thinking of this one I say go ahead. I was very excited to receive this one and it has not disappointed me.

And one more pic in parting, the Federal with my only other Boker, a pimped Kwaiken:

Is the knife marked China anywhere on it? I'd be game for buying one, but I can't stand seeing China on anything. (I have all I can take with Taiwan machined into my Spyderco Southard)

Is the knife marked China anywhere on it? I'd be game for buying one, but I can't stand seeing China on anything. (I have all I can take with Taiwan machined into my Spyderco Southard)

It is not marked China anywhere on the knife itself, just on the barcode on the box.

I liked the review. I've been eyeballing this knife for a while now and its great to see the review. How solid does it feel in hand? Can you compare the feel to other knives you have? Do you think you could adjust the centering at all? Lastly...who typically carries the knife and do you think I might be able to find one at a brick/mortar location?

I'm afraid I only have one other frame lock (Protech Integrity) and it is completely different in shape/size/etc so it's hard for me to compare it directly to another knife without having one next to it. It is however, a very stout and solid feeling knife. It clacks open with authority when you flip it and as you can see from the pics, the lock bar is what you might call 'beefie.' I ordered mine from Bladehq and I know most of the other online retailers that carry Boker have it. As for finding it in a local store, that all depends on your local stores. I would not likely find it locally here but ymmv.

Great review. Have been hearing nothing but good news about this knife. I was able to snag one on the forum here and it should be waiting for me in the mailbox tomorrow :D . I have read on multiple accounts that the clip does take some getting use to, but I also had this knife in mind to carry with dress pants/slacks, since the design is so modern and sleek! I will be sure to post some pictures upon its arrival. And like you, the GTC and kwaiken will be my only Bokers (I'm more of a Spydie guy), but I have definitely been impressed with what I have seen from them with these two blades.

Pictures as promised. And I must say, absolutely loving this blade. For some reason, it is smaller than I imagined it would be, which is great! Nice, solid construction, flips very smoothly and overall a gorgeous design composed of excellent materials. I've actually had no problem getting the pocket clip attached to some jean pockets.
null_zpsc5d24e2a.jpg

null_zps328eaf0a.jpg

Glad you got one! I think Boker hit this nail pretty much on the head. I'm slowly getting used to the clip, not as big an issue as it was when I first got it. Just takes some practice I guess.

Glad you got one! I think Boker hit this nail pretty much on the head. I'm slowly getting used to the clip, not as big an issue as it was when I first got it. Just takes some practice I guess.

Seems like it. I did see how it took two hands to clip it the first time, but I've gotten use to it now that it is pretty quick deployment and return. I agree with you, Boker did a smashing job with this collaboration. I'd never heard of GTC knives, and when I check out some of his pieces, they just blew me away. But, that is something I could never see myself actually purchasing (or getting the chance to), so getting a shot at his design from a big company collaboration is the next best thing. I like the work that Boker is putting out currently and am quite satisfied with the GTC Federal and Kwaiken collabs.

Glad this knife is getting such great reviews. I never dreamed there would be a GTC collab like this and I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for mine to arrive.

Also, I'm reeaaaallllllly glad it doesn't have China stamped on it anywhere. I realize this knife would cost at least double if it were made in Solingen but made in China knives are always passed on by myself no matter how cool they are...

Except for this one!

Also, I'm reeaaaallllllly glad it doesn't have China stamped on it anywhere. I realize this knife would cost at least double if it were made in Solingen but made in China knives are always passed on by myself no matter how cool they are...

Except for this one!

I had issues with my Chinese made Boker Manaro Bullseye Grip and sent it to Boker and eventually they sent me a new one which is great. I have been pleasantly surprised that my Federal GTC has been perfect from day one! :thumbup: QC seems to be getting better at the Chinese factory.

Pictures as promised. And I must say, absolutely loving this blade. For some reason, it is smaller than I imagined it would be, which is great! Nice, solid construction, flips very smoothly and overall a gorgeous design composed of excellent materials. I've actually had no problem getting the pocket clip attached to some jean pockets.
null_zpsc5d24e2a.jpg

null_zps328eaf0a.jpg

I just realized how three dimensional the weave of the cf inlay looks...

Pretty impressive for a $150 knife.

I,m loving the look of this knife! Where can I get one?

Blade HQ has them in stock for $148 shipped.

Terrific value, quality and flipper action. I got mine at BHQ as well. You'll get used to the built-in clip.

Just remember that the blade is quite thick at 0.2". It's beautiful and stout at the same time.

Boker Federal GTC Specifications:
Overall Length: 7.95"
Blade Length: 3.27"
Blade Thickness: 0.20"
Blade Material: 440C
Blade Style: Drop Point
Blade Grind: Hollow
Blade Finish: Satin Edge
Type: Plain
Handle Length: 4.68"
Handle Thickness: 0.51"
Handle Material: Titanium
Handle Color: Gray
Weight: 4.90 oz.
Pocket Clip: Right Hand, Tip-Up
Knife Type: Manual
Opener: Flipper
Lock Type: Frame Lock
Brand: Boker Plus
Model: Federal, 01BO140
Designer: Gustavo Cecchini (GTC)
Country of Origin: China
Best Use: Everyday Carry

Just took my Federal in to show the owner of my local knife shop and he was blown away. He actually did a double take when he saw the Boker logo. First thing he asked was if I would sell it. No.

Thanks for the great review Bigfatts! I have been curious about this one.

Thanks for the great review Bigfatts! I have been curious about this one.

I've been carrying mine for a week and I love it. The clip gets easier to operate as it breaks in, it sits very well in the pocket and the action is superb.

Mine came as dull as a spoon but the Boker 440c took a nice edge.

Back