boker haddock

eric1975

Gold Member
where are all the boker haddock's? i saw that the few that are out had some quailty control problems, do you think boker is having problems and are holding these knives back until it gets fixed

I havent seen many anywhere, bhq had a couple, I hope these dont come out in mass's when the para mil2s are realeased, be a tough battle.....in my head

Someone here got the evil-bay one I pointed them to, that's been it. Well, at least until I found one at a local yuppee sporting goods store - it came home with me at it's much reduced price! Nothing wrong with it, other than that high original MSRP.

Stainz

Boker Germany has had them backordered since january. Still waiting for mine too, but i dont know how much longer i want to wait. I dont think its very professional of Boker with a 7 month wait now, with no end in sight.

And the Boker Cox should have been out in May but it too is nowhere to be seen.

110618.jpg

Still awaiting the Pry-Mate, even if I did spend the money I had intended for it on a new Benchmade 790 Subrosa Friday. Super knife, BTW!

Oh... the Haddock is nice - but, upon buying it, just wasn't up to the expectations. I am not totally unhappy - I am just not as proud of it as I thought I would be. That Subrosa, itself a bit slow to the marketplace, on the other hand, is beyond my expectations! Go figure. Last year's similar BM, a Ti framelock 760BK L-Ti, was a slow to impress type of knife - I eventually bought one, but still - I am not as tickled with it as I am other BMs. Every one is different.

I guess I am just making a case for my giving up on the Pry-Mate. Of course, I am reminded of Buck's 408 fixed Kalinga Pro in S30V a few years back. It was a long spring, summer, and autumn - but they finally were released - and I bought it - and it's 419 folder version - in the fall. Good thing - they were canned last December... apparently others weren't as enamored with them as I was.

I guess my main gripe re the Haddock was the poorly done bevel/edge. The bevel tapered from the tip to the base, where it nearly stopped. Sure, my Sharpmaker helped - but that is a decent steel - and that means it takes time - and care - to correct the factory slop. That was a lot of money for a sloppy edge. By comparison, I since 'won' - and received - a new Boker Tree Brand Classic - a stag-handled Barlow. Two evenly ground/polished razors... unreal edges - German made - CS - and $26 + s/h! It joined an assortment of other such 'classics', also 'won' - and $35 or less - real bargains for German-made CS folders. They set a high standard the Haddock just didn't meet, IMHO.

Stainz

While my local source still hasn't received a Pry-Mate - an evil-bayer has a pair of them. No more Haddocks anywhere I've seen. Still happy with mine!

Here is my Haddock with my other recent goodies:

IMG_4417-1.jpg

Proof they do - or at least did - exist.

Stainz

We just shipped out a batch of PryMates in the last couple weeks. They are just going out as quick as we get them.
Terry

I took a chance - on evil-bay - should have a Pry-Mate soon. The local shop still hadn't received one.

Stainz

what is going on with the haddock how can they start to show up afew months ago and now nothing

Well, Saturday's mail brought the Pry-Mate - so I now have both the Haddock and the Pry-Mate. The Pry-Mate was used in the kitchen - and chopped carrots, brocoli, etc - and fine-sliced over-ripe grape tomatoes. Thinner - almost paper thin - slices were possible, but the heavy hollow ground blade started a curl. Arm hair shaving is decent - printer paper strip cutting starts well - but the thick spine makes continuity difficult. The Haddock was a bit better at strip cutting, but accomplished all the other similar tasks - and some bulk wood carving - with aplomb. My opinion re both improves daily.

My biggest gripe with the Haddock was it's out of the box edge - clearly sub-par for so expensive of a knife. Of course, the first two Benchmades I ever bought new were delivered so dull you had to add heat to get them to cut butter. I persevered - bought many more BM's since - all sharp! Of course, the Pry-Mate was sharp 'out of the box'. It's plain grey 'Boker Tree Brand Classic' box resembled what my CS 'Tree Brand' classics came in - just larger. The Haddock came in a fancy box - with a red veltvetine bag - and it's horrid looking edge - under magnification - turned out to be a wire edge, which was easily removed with some jeans pant leg & palm stropping. A few swipes on the white ceramic files of my Sharpmaker seemed pointless - it was a razor after the stropping. Still an 'armhair-popper' after some mixed use.

My other gripe with the Haddock was clearly shown in the catalog - the stonewashed blade and Ti frame. It really has an 'old' look to it - not that it looks bad. Really - G10 and Titanium - not exactly old. Still, rattle it in your pocket with car keys & change - you won't notice the new 'character'. Oh - the grip is near perfect - with the clip removed, something I do to all of my clip-equipped pocket knives. The contored G10 is perfect - for a right hander... sorry, lefties. It gets lots of EDC duties here.

BTW, I thought the Pry-Mate might make a decent pocketable fb - the jury is still out on that one. I'll try to get some pix later - and add more comments. Right now, both are keepers!

Stainz

I ended up selling my Boker Haddock. It's not a bad folder but the workmanship just wasn't quite what I expected. The way the framelock engages the blade tang didn't impress me.

I think the folder could be outstanding if they worked on their quality and tweaked it just a bit. For the price.....................it is over-priced. I find the lower priced Boker Plus blades to at least look like they had some care put into the workmanship. Most of the Plus line has the appearance of being much better than the cost. With the Haddock......I cannot say that.

I love my Haddock - sort of - but, at a bargain $163 inc s/t locally, I still think it was a bit over priced. Any where near it's MSRP, IMHO, it is certainly no bargain, that's for sure. My Benchmade 755 was a bit less - and worth every penny. The Pry-Mate, at <$180 delivered, is an oddity - and more than the BM 790 Subrosa I bought locally. With the Boker Plus Gnome and Rhino and Mosier at MSRP total, you'd spend less - and gain a nice collection of well made and diverse knives.

I guess evil-bay priced Tree Brand Classics spoiled me. Those CS classics are a great value in German made knives. The Titan Worker I found locally, nice knife BTW, at ~$250, is probably a good price - but not, to me, with that pedestrian 440C blade. It's off my list... today. Of course, limited/slow availability seems to drive the desire, too - witness my Haddock/Pry-Mate purchases. The harsh reality - aka 'buyer's remorse' - isn't helped by the quality of the off-shore sourced 'Plus' line - they, seemingly, are a great value!

Stainz

PS My favorite G-scale model trains were German-made LGB - that's where 'Stainz' was derived. They went a similar route - expensive exclusivity - then off-shore/far east manufacturing - then bankrupt. Be careful, Boker!

PPS I keep forgetting a cosmetic QC issue re my Haddock. The head of the pivot screw - on the Ti side - is countersunk off center, ie, the recess and the through hole are not coaxial. Just a gap on part of the screw head's circumference - flush the rest of the way. That exudes QC inappropriate for a knife that cost that much.

Last edited:
"Bueller?...Bueller?...Bueller?...

"Um...He's Sick, My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid
who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious&#8230;&#8230; "

"Thank you Simone"

"No problem whatsoever :)"

:)
G2

Last edited:
Back