Boker Knives recent quality ?

That's what I thought too and you are probably right but these two knives have me wondering.

These are both Solingen made Boker Boy Scout knives. The knives are identical except for the color of the handles. On the blue one I can clearly see that the shield is pinned. The red one, not so much.

What do you folks think? Is that a ghost of a shield pin hole inside the liner on the red knife?

View attachment 1023810
View attachment 1023811
That is odd don’t know. Can it even have a pin if there’s no hole? Maybe just design changes from different productions one could be glued and the other pinned? Dunno

That is odd don’t know. Can it even have a pin if there’s no hole? Maybe just design changes from different productions one could be glued and the other pinned? Dunno

I've seen some pinned shields that were very difficult to see inside the liner. They were so well finished that the surface almost looked smooth. That might be the case here but I can't tell for sure. I see something that could be a pin hole but it's almost invisible.

I came across this little whittler in the repair box this morning, and remembered this thread. It's a Boker Solingen, no shield pin, but it has the hole through the liner. It was just glued in with a tiny dab of super glue. So, at least some of the recent knives don't have pinned shields:

BF7WziS.png

Sorry about the CrapCam(TM) shots...

The Boker emblems are not pinned in the handle scale. We have one pretty old and rare sample knife here, which has a pinned shield, but all knives from the last 20 years or longer have a glued shield.

We made some changes to the glue process, so usually, it´s older knives where the shield could come off, depending on the handle material.

All natural materials are more or less subject to shrinking etc., so this could cause a shield to come off.

The hole below the shield does not mean that a pin is to be used. The hole centers the tool when the emblem hole is milled, so it does not mean that there is (or was) a pin/rivet.

The Boker emblems are not pinned in the handle scale. We have one pretty old and rare sample knife here, which has a pinned shield, but all knives from the last 20 years or longer have a glued shield.

We made some changes to the glue process, so usually, it´s older knives where the shield could come off, depending on the handle material.

All natural materials are more or less subject to shrinking etc., so this could cause a shield to come off.

The hole below the shield does not mean that a pin is to be used. The hole centers the tool when the emblem hole is milled, so it does not mean that there is (or was) a pin/rivet.

Thank you for the definitive answer! Always great to get it from the source.

I've also had good experiences with the boker traditionals. I think their quality is pretty good for the price. They're not a GEC but they're not nearly as expensive either. If I buy a traditional purely as a user, boker is a top runner for. I've not tried the boker magnum series, only the boker tree brand but the 3-4 I've had have been pretty decent. Some fit and finish things like some small gaps but nothing even close to what I've seen on queen knives, if you've ever tried a queen brand. Spring tension is something I think boker has been doing well and that's what I find the most important. I don't care as much as strength but gosh dang it they should be consistent between blades on the same knife, splitback whittlers excluded.

I have a Solingen Boker olive-wood serpentine jack (two-blade stockman). I used epoxy instead of superglue to put the shield back on (very carefully, only about 130 degrees out of kilter). That centering hole gives a little more glue surface and forms a bit of a glue rivet.

Back