Boker Rold - blade finish?

Thank you.

Love the knife but bead blasted high carbon, even on D2, is less than ideal. Boker should have coated or finished the blade. I'm sure the intention was to keep the price down.

I just received the Johnson model and it is quite a stunning, if heavy, piece of work. Had Boker done something other than bead blast on the Rold - it surely would have been my next purchase.:(

Based on price (about $100) I think D2 uncoated is acceptable. It seems better than some coated 10XX blades for $200+. I'd rather have corrosion resistant and non-coated rather than 10XX coated. I'm getting pretty sick of these manufacturers/makers shoving cheap (cost wise) 10XX (i.e. 1095) down our throats and charging so much for it. I don't care if it's coated, because that coating will eventually fade, and I'll have to keep it oiled anyways. 1095 doesn't cost squat compared to D2, 440C, Aus-8, 5160, etc. Yet they have the nerve to charge $200 ish? The Boker Vox Rold is about $100 street price, 6" blade D2, G10 scales, kydex sheath. I'll buy two of those for 1 of the grayman or bark river. I don't consider D2 a stainless steel, but certainly if tough enough and more corrosion resistant than 10XX, I'll take it (price is a factor too).

By the way, I'm not saying Bark River, ESEE, Grayman knives are bad. But I'm starting to think they're charging too much for simple high carbon steel.

Last edited:
Back