Boker Schradebrand vs Schrade Stagbrand Bird and Trout knife

scotl

Gold Member
I have two Bird and Trout knives that look to me like the same knife only with different color stripes on the grip. The two sheaths are also virtually the same except that one is marked 154 on the backside and the other is not. Now this is where things get strange... one of the knives has a Boker Tree Brand logo lithographed on the blade and has Schradebrand over Bport.Conn.USA stamped on the ricasso and 154 litho'd on the other side of the ricasso. The other knife is the same as the first but has Stagbrand over Geo.Schrade,KnifeCo. stamped into the ricasso and has no other marks.Boker v Schrade 1a.jpgBoker v Schrade 1.jpgIMG_0239.jpgIMG_0241.jpg
My question is, was Boker somehow linked to the George Schrade knife Co.? Was there a transitional period where Boker used George Schrade's inventory and re-marked it as their own?
Here are some pics to compare.

Thank you, sir for your response. Your answer makes sense and puts it all into a proper historical perspective. This will give me a whole new area of research to keep me busy and out of trouble for a while.
I appreciate your help.

To my eye they look similar but not identical. The Boker blade has more of a curve to it and the choils aren't the same either. The pommels are a little different too and the Stagbrand pin clearly shows. They're both really nice looking and I like the sheaths too.

You're right, sir. There are some minor and subtle differences between the two knives. Is it possible that Boker had to make a few alterations to get around Schrade's patent restrictions in order to put their own stamp on the knife? I don't know, but like you said, they are nice old examples that look nice and they also include a little intrigue when compared to each other.
Thanks for your response.

Back