Boker "Tree Brand Classic" & Solingen made traditional knives

That is a beautiful knife! I imagine the price may scare a few people off, lol. I think they make a Cru-Wear version which is just crazy cool in my opinion!

Fantastic photo! Thanks for posting it. :D

Thank you ! This is the Cruwear version (my favorite steel). Great "date knife", cork-screw and all :)

I’ve seen that one before as I was looking around, but hadn’t really checked it out. I just went and checked it out, man that’s a big knife. How does it carry?

Thank you ! This is the Cruwear version (my favorite steel). Great "date knife", cork-screw and all :)

How cool! I love Cru-Wear, it's just about as good as it gets. Heaven help me if they ever release a series of barlows in Cru-Wear, lol.

Man, don't do that to me... I was already looking at your dang picture thinking how the knife would be a good "picnic" knife. I might have to make the wallet cry a bit more, lol. :D

I’ve seen that one before as I was looking around, but hadn’t really checked it out. I just went and checked it out, man that’s a big knife. How does it carry?

More or less like a Buck 110, a teeny bit smaller and a little lighter. Just put them on the scale: the 110 came in at ~210g, the Hunter Trio at ~170g. I don't mind the weight, but some do ....

The Rosewood Stockman, is the best of the bunch so far, one to go. Love the grain in the rosewood, back spring is flush for all the blades open and closed. Main blade is really snappy, secondary blades have the same sluggish open but are quite snappy on the close. I guess I don’t know enough about knife construction to figure out how they snap closed but not open. 🤔 No blade play, great F&F, anothe winner in my book.👍3A8A8B56-96EC-48E0-8974-D4B58E245A40.jpeg899620D6-77CF-45C7-82F6-6C2F2306FDF8.jpegFFA63AD8-9A7D-40C5-AE10-E0F63364ED94.jpeg63084F86-47F0-449E-BC1D-E861FBD2AC48.jpeg

The Rosewood Stockman, is the best of the bunch so far, one to go. Love the grain in the rosewood, back spring is flush for all the blades open and closed. Main blade is really snappy, secondary blades have the same sluggish open but are quite snappy on the close. I guess I don’t know enough about knife construction to figure out how they snap closed but not open. 🤔 No blade play, great F&F, anothe winner in my book.👍View attachment 1567163View attachment 1567172View attachment 1567165View attachment 1567166

Holy smokes! That rosewood is out of this world!

This is the last of my recent purchase of stockmans (I did pick up a tortoise but it isn’t made in Solingen). This one is basically the same F&F as the others, although this one needs some polishing on the bolsters. Snappy main blade (open and closing) sluggish secondary when opening, fair snap on closing. Flush open and closed, good transitions, small gaps, good grinds, very sharp C75. The bone on this one is really nice. It was hard to get a picture that captured all the colors, especially the purplish shapes. Tough to pick which one I like more between the rosewood and the buckskin. They will all get used because I got them to be users.
2EA4151C-0DC9-4780-B8BF-410039EDAFF6.jpeg0F9C468E-8092-47F9-B58D-2932BA03DDE0.jpeg439BDA83-BC5D-4A0E-9964-CC4FBECE6889.jpeg6CC98EC0-8397-4848-BB84-5248C3A4FD52.jpeg

This is the last of my recent purchase of stockmans (I did pick up a tortoise but it isn’t made in Solingen). This one is basically the same F&F as the others, although this one needs some polishing on the bolsters. Snappy main blade (open and closing) sluggish secondary when opening, fair snap on closing. Flush open and closed, good transitions, small gaps, good grinds, very sharp C75. The bone on this one is really nice. It was hard to get a picture that captured all the colors, especially the purplish shapes. Tough to pick which one I like more between the rosewood and the buckskin. They will all get used because I got them to be users.
View attachment 1567675View attachment 1567676View attachment 1567677View attachment 1567678

Man, that has some awesome color too! I don't think I've ever seen a dye job like that. It's really cool! Boker does some fun stuff with their knives. :)

I have a gray pocket worn Case that I find a bit boring.... Your picture is inspiring me to try to dye it and give it a layered look like that.

bigfish64 bigfish64
That’s a killer there Todd, is it purple-ish?? sweeet pics as well!!
Thanks Gus! Yes it definitely has purplish tints. It’s highly buffed, very shiny, had to take a good photo without a lot of glare that would show the true color. 😎
Man, that has some awesome color too! I don't think I've ever seen a dye job like that. It's really cool! Boker does some fun stuff with their knives. :)

I have a gray pocket worn Case that I find a bit boring.... Your picture is inspiring me to try to dye it and give it a layered look like that.
Thanks Brian! I’ve seen pictures of Case’s gray bone that looked kind of purplish. Can’t wait to see pictures of what you come up with!👍

Finally arrived!

DdDDhIV.jpg

tw12tcA.jpg

Very nice! How’s the F&F? I’m betting the action is snappy!👍
Yes, very snappy! I didn’t pay too much attention to the length when I was ordering, it’s of course the same length as my Case Barlow rather than my 77. Walk and talk is good, reminds me of my miniature Cattle Dog, that much smaller means it’s that much higher pitched. But very much a satisfyingly precise, Germanic snick-snick.

First impression was good, now that I’m spending a few more minutes I’m seeing a few more knits to pick. First and most glaringly obvious, as well as most obnoxious: Thanks for the recurve!🤬

vI0mma6.jpg

QV564JP.jpg

Really just the last 1/16” or so, really not a big deal to sharpen as is, or take a course diamond hone to and make it like I want it. #firstworldproblems.

Everything is tight, no gaps.
KHX8fvQ.jpg

Just at the very end of the back spring it loses it’s full width, much more dramatically on the pile side. I assume they ground off a burr there?

LCd51Na.jpg

Backspring is flush open and closed, just proud enough to be able to notice it. GEC has conditioned me to give this an automatic pass.

yp5MV6b.jpg

The blade backspring transition when open I like to like a certain way, all flush and seamless. I don’t really expect it at this price point, and it wasn’t attempted here.
U9V9jcb.jpg

The extra grinding on the backspring isn’t doing this area any favors, cosmetically.

kZPVX6d.jpg

Allright, seems like a lot of whining. Overall, my impressions are favorable. Just two more minor niggles on the covers, which overall are very well done. The counter sinks for the pins through the backspring are just a wee bit bigger than they need to be and not terribly well centered.
aJMwnfv.jpg

MPojdaP.jpg

Looks way better than if I had done it, too be sure, and I totally get that it’s a lot more labor intensive to do those two with the precision around the pin next to the bolster that just holds the cover to the liner.
The other (minor!) gripe here is there is a a slight but noticeable bit more grind off next to the bolster on the pile side compared to the mark.

Love the finish everywhere. The wood grain on the slabs is delightfully tactile, all the edges all very nicely smoothed, transition to bolsters and shield (pinned!) all feel great. I know that brushed bolsters aren’t everyone’s preference, but just for myself, yes please! I think they feel better-less drag, and visually a high polish between the acid etched blade and dark slabs would be rather garish.
Love the blade finish. My first knife in O1, looking forward to using and sharpening it. I’ll leave you with a couple more shots.

91ig2U8.jpg

sOp4lLc.jpg

Yes, very snappy! I didn’t pay too much attention to the length when I was ordering, it’s of course the same length as my Case Barlow rather than my 77. Walk and talk is good, reminds me of my miniature Cattle Dog, that much smaller means it’s that much higher pitched. But very much a satisfyingly precise, Germanic snick-snick.

First impression was good, now that I’m spending a few more minutes I’m seeing a few more knits to pick. First and most glaringly obvious, as well as most obnoxious: Thanks for the recurve!🤬

vI0mma6.jpg

QV564JP.jpg

Really just the last 1/16” or so, really not a big deal to sharpen as is, or take a course diamond hone to and make it like I want it. #firstworldproblems.

Everything is tight, no gaps.
KHX8fvQ.jpg

Just at the very end of the back spring it loses it’s full width, much more dramatically on the pile side. I assume they ground off a burr there?

LCd51Na.jpg

Backspring is flush open and closed, just proud enough to be able to notice it. GEC has conditioned me to give this an automatic pass.

yp5MV6b.jpg

The blade backspring transition when open I like to like a certain way, all flush and seamless. I don’t really expect it at this price point, and it wasn’t attempted here.
U9V9jcb.jpg

The extra grinding on the backspring isn’t doing this area any favors, cosmetically.

kZPVX6d.jpg

Allright, seems like a lot of whining. Overall, my impressions are favorable. Just two more minor niggles on the covers, which overall are very well done. The counter sinks for the pins through the backspring are just a wee bit bigger than they need to be and not terribly well centered.
aJMwnfv.jpg

MPojdaP.jpg

Looks way better than if I had done it, too be sure, and I totally get that it’s a lot more labor intensive to do those two with the precision around the pin next to the bolster that just holds the cover to the liner.
The other (minor!) gripe here is there is a a slight but noticeable bit more grind off next to the bolster on the pile side compared to the mark.

Love the finish everywhere. The wood grain on the slabs is delightfully tactile, all the edges all very nicely smoothed, transition to bolsters and shield (pinned!) all feel great. I know that brushed bolsters aren’t everyone’s preference, but just for myself, yes please! I think they feel better-less drag, and visually a high polish between the acid etched blade and dark slabs would be rather garish.
Love the blade finish. My first knife in O1, looking forward to using and sharpening it. I’ll leave you with a couple more shots.

91ig2U8.jpg

sOp4lLc.jpg
Great write up and pictures BigKurt, lots of good observations, glad that overall you like it. I don’t use mine much but I have a Club coming in the same Castle Burg that I plan to carry a lot.👍

The Castle Burg Club arrived yesterday, typical Boker quality, which is to say, excellent. 66C2CC43-5E7B-45B1-B6B0-AE983E6B25A4.jpegThis one is a bit chunkier than the Jute, which I was hoping for because the Jute has slipped out of my pocket on two occasions! 😳 19740D81-3504-4077-A86E-72E5ECFB7E02.jpegThe growing family.
0DE88499-A6DE-4DC7-BEC7-E05C0173F0C7.jpeg

Picked up this Boker Gents Knife off the Exchange. Thanks Rick! Railsplitter Railsplitter
N690 Stainless and some really nicely figured Ironwood. With brass liners, nickel silver bolsters AND a pinned shield. Walk and Talk, fit and finish is excellent. This is a really nice knife! I find nothing to nit pick.
As well made as any GEC I've owned, much nicer then Case's standard line. Just a step below the Case Collaborations.
The price on these is pretty steep but finding one on the secondary market will save you money.
As I'm no fan of carbon steel folding knives this really hits a sweet spot for me.

mPRUnC1.jpg

U92cE31.jpg

AKYsLqm.jpg

0xiW0z8.jpg

Back