Bolstered SideKick

This is a nice bolstered SideKick. Koa wood on this one. It has come nice curley in it too. I still have to mark it and put the edge on it but thought I'd show it off :D
Right.jpg

left.jpg

butt.jpg

very nice. I like the temper line.

What do you do for heat treating. I don't currently have finances for an oven but am looking for someone who could do a nice clay temper for me...at a price of course.

Mike Coughlin

I dont do clay coating but heat treat with a torch. What steel are you thinking?
Email me what you have maybe I can help....

Hi
I have some 5160 and I can get some O1. I was thinking O1 because I heard 5160 is hard to get a nice visual line like that. A torch hey? That sure looks good for a torch job. Nice work. Any advice on how to do that would be appreciated. I'd love to give that a try. Is the spine hardened some too?
Mike Coughlin
:D :eek:

mikxx1 said:
very nice. I like the temper line.

What do you do for heat treating. I don't currently have finances for an oven but am looking for someone who could do a nice clay temper for me...at a price of course.

Mike Coughlin
KEy is to keep the heat moving and not stay still. The other areas will cool and the heated part will overheat once the whole edge is heated. Its tricky so dont think it will be perfect untill you try alot of them. Even, then mistakes happen. Do it in the dark ;)

Michael,
Tapered tangs huh? Man you keep adding potential problems ;) I need to figure that one out though dont I :D

Looking good, Brian. Don't forget to stop by 8-Q at the show. ;)

Hey Brian,
I saw your knife while flipping through July Blade mag. I haven't read it yet but will be tonight. Nice work getting in there. Hopefully I'll be in there someday too.

Mike Coughlin :D

Back