Bolsters, before or after heat treat on ATS-34?

Do I attach bolsters prior to sending it to Paul Bos? If he heat treats it will the handles be too hard to drill later?

Drill holes for bolster pins b4 ht,attach bolsters after.

[This message has been edited by MIHKNIVES (edited 04-28-2001).]

You can drill holes in the blade after heat treat but when you consider a carbide drill bit costs $9 and you're blessed if you get three holes out of one, you're much better off drilling all holes before heat treat.
Even if the bolsters are the same steel as the blade, I wouldn't attach them before heat treat. Just send them with the blade and have them done seperately. Be sure to counter sink the holes before you send em off. What kind of knife are you making???

------------------
Take care!! Michael
jesus.jpg

Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!
I currently don't have a web site but am working on one.
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms!!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by L6STEEL:
What kind of knife are you making???

</font>

Good question, hehe. It's my first one, it has a clip point and a big belly on it, about 4-1/4" long blade and 9" overall. Maybe it's a skinner? I intend to use it for general utility. I haven't really seen one just like it so I don't know exactly what type it is.

It will have Purple Heart slab handles, and stainless bolsters.

Batteries are dead on my camera or I would post a pic of the rough ground blade so someone could identify it for me. :)

What kind of stainless are the bolsters???

------------------
Take care!! Michael
jesus.jpg

Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!
I currently don't have a web site but am working on one.
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms!!!

I drill the bolster pin holes in the blade only prior to heat-treat.

Then after the blade is totally done as far as grinding and finishing (post heat-treat) I drill and fit my bolsters.

Many of the popular stainless for bolster stock gain some stain resistance if they're heat-treated, but not enough (IMHO) to outweigh all the head-ache of trying to follow that route.

I have an email saved on bolsters that I sent to Nathan, if you would like me to forward it to you.

Nick

[This message has been edited by NickWheeler (edited 04-28-2001).]

Well, I have some 303 stainless, but I may order something else as it's not quite the size I want. (It was leftover from another project).

Any suggestions of a better grade?

Back