Bombshell photo thread...

OK, I wanted to put up some photos for people that haven't gotten to have a Bombshell in their own hands.

As I said in the "Bombshell line" thread, I think what really pulled me to this design was the organic nature of the lines. Pardon me while I briefly wander off into left field... you will understand at the end....

Way back in 97-98, I was working as a computer tech for Phillips 66 in Bartlesville. I cut open a lot of boxes every single day. Unpack, load up software, deliver, cut up and dump boxes. I think I was still carrying my old Gerber Boltaction back then, I had it all the way back from 77-78. I started reading about different knives on the internet. I had seen Spyderco knives here and there but I don't think I ever even touched one. And there was a site back in 1997 that had a descriptive paragraph about a bunch of different knives. Was that the early version of Knife Center? Long time ago in history! Anyway, I read a bunch of those online descriptions and decided I wanted the full size Tim Wegner. I had a co-worker who was about to order a Benchmade... I gave him the cash and he ordered my Spyderco at the same time.

He came in one morning and told me the knives came in. Handed me the white box. And said some variation of... "I think that's the ugliest knife I've ever seen!" I opened the box, started opening and closing... and I've been a Spyderco guy ever since. I loved the look. Open, it always reminded me of some kind of ancient predator.. maybe an alligator? The hole was the eye and then you have the long curved snout. I guess what I'm saying is that it didn't look industrial or mechanical... it looked organic.

Now I wasn't a knife guy back then.. I was just looking for maximum utility. So my first first Spyderco was (and is) the only partly serrated knife I own. I wouldn't buy that today... but... to be fair... I have gotten a tremendous amount of utility out of that knife and part of it was because of that PS blade. I kill deer right here on my property every year. Dress then out in the yard. I usually have 2-3 new knives I want to get bloody and see how they work in a deer. But... I honestly think that Tim Wegner has been in every deer which ever made it to the house. I use it for the field dressing out in the woods. And I usually end up reaching for it when I'm trying to get through the pelvic arch.

OK, here I come back from left field... I think my attraction to the Bombshell is at least partly because of the Tim Wegner being my first "real knife" and first Spyderco. The Bombshell is a massive upgrade in materials, construction, and refined design... but I look at the Bombshell and I can see the TW. Here, let's look at both together...

Lr0pqUk.jpg

YEK1Dq6.jpg

The G-10 on my TW is worn really smooth... it was smooth to begin with but that knife went to work with me every day for years... and it has been used for deer butchering many times. The TW blade is longer than the B, the handle is longer as well. The B would be easier to carry around every day and it does have wonderful steel.

As far as quality of construction and materials.. I can only rank the Bombshell with one of my others... and it is a wonderful knife itself... but I've never actually carried it or used it... there's the problem with limited production fancy knives... very different from the B but still cousins...

And let's throw in the Parata... told you I like curvy, organic designs!

1NqGwgt.jpg

Here is all four of them together... tried to line them up at the blade pivot for size comparison.

qeM5yCf.jpg

OK... now I'll throw in the Bombshell individual photos. Then you can see the lock, the backspacer, the numbered liner, the blade markings, etc. I laughed when I saw the Spydie stamp in my photos... there is nothing wrong with it... I wiped the knife down with a RemOil disposable wipe and little tiny threads of it got left behind. Sorry!

BUhm3iU.jpg

PrqTaP3.jpg

pwO8TgR.jpg

fSKCKsH.jpg

rqcwMsm.jpg

WrSLQV9.jpg

X2TmFSG.jpg

PnV2no3.jpg

hHtqTAn.jpg

jB00zrA.jpg

Back