Bone handles, smooth vs. jigged.

I know that jigged bone will give you a better grip but other than that are there any advantages that one has over the other? I'm also curious how bone is colored. Will the color eventually wear off?

Other than grip I don't think it's anything other than preference. I'm liking smooth scales more and more (bone and wood, Cases's yellow Delrin too in fact).

Dying bone? I don't know about that, but as far as losing color I don't think so. There are countless bone scaled knives here that are 100 yrs old or more and have lost no color at all. Now if you left it on the dashboard of your car for two years it might fade, but from examples I've seen here, under normal use it's a non-issue as far as I know.

it usually a matter of preference smooth over jigging. whatever feels comfortable in your hand. personally I like a good jigging, been trying to find a sawcut charlow with the trapper blades, saw one missed out. the bone is dyed and over time it will change color tone, depending on how deep the dye process was could determine how light or dark the color would change.

I have tried to stay with organic handle materials as much as possible in my peanut collection with one exception, I have one with G10 scales. I like organic materials on my traditionals but my daily carry is a Kershaw with micarta scales. Jigged bone gives a nice texture for holding a knife securely IMO but synthetics hold up to daily carry and unintentional abuse better for me.

Catfish is right, they tend to darken from oils in the skin over time. Can't recall hearing of them lightening or wearing off of color over time. I'm sure there are individual cases where this can happen, but I think it's quite the exception. They darken a bit if anything.

usually if its a cheap dye or quick process, the dye tends to lighten in some of my observations. prefer to watch it darken which is more common with the stuff we like to carry.

Catfish is right, they tend to darken from oils in the skin over time. Can't recall hearing of them lightening or wearing off of color over time. I'm sure there are individual cases where this can happen, but I think it's quite the exception. They darken a bit if anything.

My Queen mini trapper in ACSB has lightened up in the past several years but I don't mind. It looks more pocket worn now.

I like them both depending on the type of jigging. I prefer the more random jigged bone that doesn't have a set pattern if I'm going to get a jigged knife but if given the option I will pick smooth bone every time. I've only ever heard of some of the cheap Chinese knives having the bone dye actually wear off or drastically change colors. With lots of use most bone scaled knives seem to darken a little with age as they soak up oils and dirt form your hands etc etc. I think they usually look better when this happens at least from the ones I've seen.

Smooth vs. jigged? Nay I say. Smooth, sawn and jigged many different ways! Esthetics mostly to me. The feel of each is different and some people like the look or feel of one over the other as a matter of personal preference. But I don't see any actual advantage of one cover style over another in practical use. A prime example is the electrician's knife. It is as utilitarian as a knife can get, absolutely a working man's knife. Yet the vast majority are smooth handled, including the military versions. Another example is the old waldemars and gent's knives. Gold covers with lightly incised designs more decorative than tactile, and mother of pearl covers, finished smooth mostly.

So IMHO, it is just a matter of personal taste. I personally prefer... ALL of them! :D

I agree with Codger: I never felt that jigged bone offered a better grip than smooth bone.
But, unlike Codger, I do prefer smooth (or pocket worn) to those deep jigging patterns I see around :)

Fausto
:cool:

I'm a bit torn on it. I love jigged bone because that's what I grew up with. It does give a nice grip when hands are wet with fish slime or water. But some of the Case smooth appaloosa bone knocks my socks off. I'd love to see more of a choice with some smooth bone in chestnut, appaloosa, or even natural like on the old original Russell's barlows, and let nature take it's course over time. I've seen some old bone handles that has turned a nice mellow yellowish brownish ice tea kind of color. And being a natural material, it varies from knife to knife.

Yeah, I'd like to see more smooth bone.

I don't find much difference in their use either, but the jigged bone is my preference. And even more so I like the look of jigged burnt bone, with it's toasty transitional colors.

amberstagbones-1-1.jpg~original

IMG_9901-2.jpg~original

a60bbfd5-c609-4ef9-b891-2c513945b8d8_zps3c2bdeb9.jpg~original

CopperheadWTclosed_zpsac0029bf.jpg~original

73jackAfter_zps6d89e4c1.jpg~original

Here's a pic that compares the effects of carrying vs not carrying on smooth natural bone. From left to right: Carrying & using almost every day; not nearly so much carry/use; no carry/use at all. I'd have to say all three started life with about the same shade/color of bone.

The swell-center Conductor on the left, even though only a couple years old, has taken on the appearance of a much older knife, IMO. While not everyone will like the effects aging has on this particular bone, I do like how it ages and think it gives a nice old-timey feel and look to a knife. YMMV. ;)

-Keith

Keith, great photo!:thumb up:

Really love the time progression of the bone in different amounts of carry. I personally like the way the bone ages and gives a very marked old timey appearance. It seems to mellow everything out, like a soft glow about it. Like oil lamplight vs the harsh electric light overhead.

I am like Jackknife, I grew up with jigged bone. But, smooth is good also. I will say what I DON,T like, I do not like or want any knife with a in-line pattern of jigging. It has to be random. A precise, in-line, chess board pattern of jigging will not find its way in my pocket or hand. I don't think I could even tolerate the Case example shown above by mamba.

Keith, great photo!:thumb up:

Really love the time progression of the bone in different amounts of carry. I personally like the way the bone ages and gives a very marked old timey appearance. It seems to mellow everything out, like a soft glow about it. Like oil lamplight vs the harsh electric light overhead.

Thanks Carl. I figured from your earlier post in this thread you might like the aging on that Conductor. ;)

Grew up with jigged bone, so that is what I tend to favor. But on a Barlow I do like the look of saw-cut bone instead. Lately I have seen some beautiful examples of smooth bone and my interest has perked up some.

Back