Bone handles, smooth vs. jigged.

In case anyone's interested here's my Case Barlow with appaloosa bone covers.

Last edited:
I want my jigging. How else would I use it as a worry stone, feeling all the different texture? And the way it looks, with the color fading to a lighter hue where the jigging runs out, like on Case amber bone. I like the contrast between the dark down in the depths of the jigging, and the lighter bone near the bolsters.

Give me jigging!

Have to go with jigged. Smooth bone has to have a really exceptional colour for me to go for it.

Good jigging and colour is an inspiring combination.

Paul

I want my jigging. How else would I use it as a worry stone, feeling all the different texture? And the way it looks, with the color fading to a lighter hue where the jigging runs out, like on Case amber bone. I like the contrast between the dark down in the depths of the jigging, and the lighter bone near the bolsters.

Give me jigging!

I thought you liked smooth bone too Carl, especially after reading post #12 of this thread. That's one of the reasons for my last post showing Case appaloosa bone.

I generally prefer jigging or sawcut, but I really have a thing for the Case in smooth chestnut bone. And that smooth Appaloosa bone above looks great too!

Nine times out of ten I prefer jigged bone (sawcut included, as they are both textured) over smooth. Appaloosa bone, whether Case's or GEC's, is an exception!
Beautiful knife, Ed, here is the GEC version of Appaloosa bone.

BHMooseApp.jpg~original

I don't really have a preference but I can hear a sawcut bone cover calling out to me now ;)

Nine times out of ten I prefer jigged bone (sawcut included, as they are both textured) over smooth. Appaloosa bone, whether Case's or GEC's, is an exception!
Beautiful knife, Ed, here is the GEC version of Appaloosa bone.

BHMooseApp.jpg~original

Thanks Jeff. GEC did a nice job with their appaloosa bone. It really looks nice on those 4 1/8" 54s. A big canvas so to speak.

Back