Book of the Sword, Richard F. Burton...

Discusses and depicts khukuris, and their ancestors:

p. 39..."The boomerang shape is perpetuated in the dreaded kukkri or Gurkha Sword-knife, now used...for hand to hand fighting."

P. 217 footnote1 "The huge falchion, an exaggeration of the Kukkri, may be seen in the British Museum..."

p. 237..."The inside edge characteristics...[are] thoroughly well developed in the formidable Kora or Kukkri of the Gurkha or Nepaulese mountaineers, whose edge swells out to a half-moon."

p. 265..."The other, which the owner calls a 'Kopis,' [is] also twenty-one inches long, and two inches and a half in width, has a broad back and a wedge [cross] section. The cutting part is [the]inside [arc], and the whole contour remarkably resembles the Kukkri or Korah of Nepaul, and in a less degree, the Albanian Yataghan or Kabyle 'Flissa.' The Kopis, however, has a hook handle as if for suspension; and there is a swelling in the inside fo the grip."

The english is a bit antiquated, as he published it in 1884.

Keith
En Ferro Veritas

Do you know if that text is available online?

E-book, straight text, or otherwise?

Should be in the public domain.......

I looked last year, but couldn't find it.

Originally posted by Ferrous Wheel ......Printed in 1987
Lots of books in the public domain are printed regularly, especially old classics.
I believe a particular printing might have some legal binding,
but author copyrights expire after what? 75 years?

I have a copy of the Burton book, which is rather drier reading than I expected. It is, however, widely available at $8 to $10.

However, the text of the book does not (not yet, anyway) appear to be available on the Web. Some other books by Burton, including his "One Thousand Nights and a Night", the translation from the Arabic, are available at Project Gutenberg -- http://www.ibiblio.org/gutenberg/.

Two Burton books are available at project Gutenburg. I have them both in paper. Both recommended.

Vickram and the Vampire. - Hindu stories

The Arabian Nights - As I recall my paper set is 16 volumes. Burton left in the naughty parts and scandalised the Victorians.

Back