boot/thrower

Im interested in making a boot/throwing knife, preferably with about a 5 inch blade. The only problem is I do not know any specifics, any help would be useful.

Originally posted by livewire35:
Im interested in making a boot/throwing knife, preferably with about a 5 inch blade. The only problem is I do not know any specifics, any help would be useful.
Your best bet is to rethink the boot carry. But here is what I would do. Go to the Starvation Army or St. Vinnie's and buy a wood handled kitchen knife. Try to find one with 3 brass rivits in a full tang with a 7 inch or better chefs blade. That is the big wide one your mom uses. I find these all the time for less than $2. Now take it home and grind a good leaf shaped blade out of the thicker side. Now flatten the handles and reshape if you ended up with one of the "Old Chicago" Brands They have a stupidly shaped hilt. Leave the knife dull. Now make your carry rig out of cardboard and tape. Either use duobled over duct tape or string for strapping for your system. Now experiment with walking and fetching out your knife in emergency scenarios. Have a friend wiith a rolled up newspaper or a marker (Water based) simulate a knife or club attack. If you still want to carry a boot knife after that tell me and I'll make you a rig with knife for $75.00
smile.gif

First of all, welcome to the forum. Sorry , But I've been asleep at the wheel lately getting ready for The 5th Annual American Knife throwers Alliance National Championships. You will have to give me a bit of information in order for me to help.
What are you planning to use for steel? What kind of handle? Guard? No guard? Do you have a design in mind? Let me know and I will try my best to help.

Bobby Branton

------------------
AKTI member #1000
President South Carolina Association of Knifemakers
President American Knife Throwers Alliance

http://www.brantonknives.com

Again, welcome to the forum. There are some very experienced folks here that should be able to solve any problem or point you in the right direction.

Great to see you up here commenting Lee.

------------------
Webmaster
The Sticking Point
www.commonlogic.com/knife

Originally posted by Knifeslinger:

Welcome Lee
biggrin.gif

Bobby

Hi Bobby and ,uh... "Patti"
smile.gif
This looks to be a good group of forums! Good Luck with The AKTA Event!! I, as usual, am too poor to come but that is part of my karma. Now back to Boot Knives and Carry systems. Think Waist or under the gaurd side shoulder or even down the spine. Wrist rigs and ankle rigs are hard to manage in normal movement and lots of training is needed to throw from them while one can throw very naturally from the draw from the waist or across the body. Neck rigs may be an option, but you have to have long hair for them to be concealable and accessable at the same time. The neck rig also has the problem of being obvious or suspicious when you reach for it. In my opinion the best way to carry a throwing knife is in a tool box or briefcase with all my other throwing toys
smile.gif
Lee

Back