Boot Waterproofing?

Razor

Gold Member
I just order a new pair of kayland hiking boots. I will have to say, some of the best boots I have ever worn. The other pair I had, had kevylar like uppers. These have leather with the rough side out. It looks like swuade. What would be the best waterproofing for them? I have tried the Nixwax swade water proofing, but it just seem to do a fair job.

I've never had good luck with water proofing boots with sprays or wipes. I wear waterproof (Goretex) boots if I need it.

I think you're already at the top of the tree with Nikwax. That type of leather is inherently less water resistant.

I've had the best luck with straight up mink oil. I usually oil my boots every two weeks or so, and they are decently waterproof for non-waterproof boots. However, that will change the look and texture of the boots. If you don't mind that though, it would work a lot better than any spray.

I've used Sno-Seal on suede shoes with success. But it will ruin the suede look. In one case it turned out looking as good as the suede with a polished mat like surface. In the other case the finish looked worse with a mottled semi polished surface. I've used silicon sprays like Camp Dry with some success but requiring frequent retreatments. The silicon sprays might change the color a little but retain the suede look.

Rub bees wax into any surface you want waterproofed, then use a hairdryer to melt it so the fabric will absorb it. The outer layer of the boot should be completely sealed by the wax if you do it right.

What they said. Put up with a changed look and redress frequently, or get a waterproof boot. Now a new product is on the market that is totally hygroscopic. I don't know the name of it or where to get it. Perhaps someone remembers.

[video=youtube;sTzFsZ8KdTI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTzFsZ8KdTI[/video]

Good ol Mink Oil has always worked well for my on my Red Wing loggers. I use it every couple of months and have no issues.

Sno-Seal is good, but I like Huberd's Shoe Grease even better. It's the best I've found in the years I've searched for something that works well (i'm 68).

Be careful using Sno-Seal or similar waterproofing. I used it on a pair of Vasque boots some years ago, and the sole delaminated. They fixed it, but then the soles came off again. The second time they asked me what waterproofing I used. When I told them Sno-Seal, they told me that it voids the warranty and I was just out of luck. Even though it is never mentioned in the literature that came with the boots or on their website, they stuck with it and I had to look for new boots. And I'll never buy another pair of Vasque if they hold you to something that is not publicly acknowledged by them...how was I supposed to know?

Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP is the best I have used. Bee's wax and oils. Rub it on and heat with hairdryer.
It will darken suede or nubuck, as will most waterproofing.

I swear by Montana Pitch Blend, it's an excellent leather dressing without any chemicals that may damage the leather. Silicone for example is in a lot of leather dressings but it is reported to have negative effects on leather. Montana Pitch Blend only consists of bees wax, pine pitch and mink oil, the latter being ethically a bit problematic, I admit.
Nevertheless, I especially order Montana Pitch Blend from your country because it's just the best there is in my opinion. Very friendly company as well, great service.

Know that most leather dressings are not intended for suede leather and will change the look and texture of the leather (darken it). If this doesn't bother you, it works just as well in my opinion.

Best regards,

ll.

Last edited:
Ditto on the Obenauf's HD LP, which is made from beeswax, propolis and natural oils (not mink oil). It will darken leather and give suede and nubuck a dubbed finish. Obenauf's HD LP is the best product that I have used and won't soften the leather to the point it becomes more abrasion prone, such as with mink oil or end up drying out the leather to the point it cracks, such as with Sno Seal. If additional waterproofing is needed, apply a silicone spray such as Obenauf's Watershield but don't use it without applying the LP first.

Last edited:
I have used Obenauf's HD and really liked it. I also like Nixwax. I was just wondering about what to use on suede.

Another vote for Obenauf's LP. I used mink oil for a while, but it wore off too quickly for my taste. This stuff seems to work pretty good for me.

Back