Recommendation? Bought a Benchmade with vertical blade play.

Anderdale

Gold Member
So I bought a super freek on the bay. I got it in today. It was listed used but only used to cut 1 piece of paper. It looks LNIB when I took it out the box today. Beautiful knife. I love the weight of the knife. It feels solid.

I did my usually look at centering and see if any play. Unfortunately it has a slight bit of vertical blade play. It isn’t much but it enough to make a little clicking noise when I wiggle it.

couple questions:
Is this something Benchmade will do anything about?
Is this a situation where sending it back to seller is ok? Or should I deal with it since it was listed as used?

My main thing is I have always heard vertical play is no good.. and if I had known it had some I would have never bid on it. However, I want to be fair as I am sure the seller probably didn’t even notice. Especially if he just bought it, cut a piece of paper, and threw it back in the box.

thanks in advance!

You can send it in for warranty repair. Instructions are on our website. If you are really forcing the blade up and down you may notice an extremely slight amount of movement but if the knife is making a clicking noise then something else is going on. Hope that helps!

You can send it in for warranty repair. Instructions are on our website. If you are really forcing the blade up and down you may notice an extremely slight amount of movement but if the knife is making a clicking noise then something else is going on. Hope that helps!

thanks for the response!

In regards to the clicking noise. I think that is just the blade when it hits the axis lock.

I’m a Benchmade guy and love the Axis lock, but I can’t deny that most of my BM knives have some blade play compared to other brands in the same price range. Still I love the designs and drop-shut action I get with the knives and the play has never been a factor with their durability or safety since it’s pretty minor. Some people that need their knives to have perfect grinds and perfect centering and zero blade play may complain, but it’s not a huge issue for me and I have some pretty high end stuff.

I've sent knives in for vertical play and Benchmade's warranty service didn't do anything about it except tighten the pivots too tightly.

It seems to me that a bunch of Benchmade knives are shipped with slightly undersized pivot barrels, which can result in a tick of vertical play even when locked properly. I've never seen an axis lock slip; all play has been from the pivot being undersized. It does not appear to be that Benchmade ensures the same tolerances on their pivot barrels as other US OEMs, judging by my own experiences.

the only time i’ve had any vertical play from an axis lock knife is when it’s brand new. it’s always worked itself out on it’s own within a week of me buying the knife. sometimes it’ll take a little time for the axis bar & blade tang to smooth out. try pushing the axis bar forward with the blade open & see if that eliminates the blade play.

My Super Freek has slight vertical play as well, but it has never affected the function. I've had a few others that had play, but they broke it quickly and it went away. It bothered me a little, then I just used the knife and quit worrying about it.

Thought about sending it in, but I haven't. I just love carrying it and using it!

the only time i’ve had any vertical play from an axis lock knife is when it’s brand new. it’s always worked itself out on it’s own within a week of me buying the knife. sometimes it’ll take a little time for the axis bar & blade tang to smooth out. try pushing the axis bar forward with the blade open & see if that eliminates the blade play.
Good point... I have play in most of my BM knives but it’s usually side play.

I’m a Benchmade guy and love the Axis lock, but I can’t deny that most of my BM knives have some blade play compared to other brands in the same price range. Still I love the designs and drop-shut action I get with the knives and the play has never been a factor with their durability or safety since it’s pretty minor. Some people that need their knives to have perfect grinds and perfect centering and zero blade play may complain, but it’s not a huge issue for me and I have some pretty high end stuff.

I've sent knives in for vertical play and Benchmade's warranty service didn't do anything about it except tighten the pivots too tightly.

I remember ogling the 940 in cabelas mags 15 years ago. When i finally got one blade play was a big disappointment for me. There's cheaper knifes with better action, materials and NO blade play.

When i post about it i get those 'just tighten the pivot', 'don't you know how to work on knifes?? so easy!' comments ..... yea might as well be a fixed blade now. Thanks!

Back