Bought the Trident Folder

The design is fantastic. I've wanted a SOG for years (this and tech bowie) but I have concerns about my purchase.

1) The spring is the main issue I have, which exhibits some grind/grit in the action when closing it. I have a Kershaw Leek and ZT 302, which use a torsion spring rather than a coil, so they're buttery smooth. Is it the nature of the coil spring or is mine misbehaving? Still functions fine, I may have never thought of it if not for those other two knives.

2) The side to side play, I hear, is treatable. I wouldn't care, since it's so minute, but the facts that some people are fixing it and that none of my other folders have any play in any direction have me interested. I notice the pivot has both a hex and torx bit, wondering if there is some delicate concentric issue I should be aware of before touching it. I hate dealing with tiny springs.

Outside of that, I think it's a great knife. The thin blade, needle point, light weight, good checkering, and deep clip are all important features to me. The safety, line cutter, and lack of steel liners are all fine by me.

Thanks in advance.

It's a nice knife. I've always liked the look, size of the blade and grip. You can actually grab the knife with your whole hand.
It serves it's purpose as a lightweight edc. Enjoy!

BTW, Walmart has a great price on the Trident and the Seal Pup, just reduced to $39.99.

I've got a mini Trident. It does seem to be especially well made as it has the least amount of play compared to any of the SOG SAT knives I have.
I understand what you mean by the "grind/grit". That should smooth out with use. As SOG claims with their ARC lock knives the SATs can also be said to be "self adjusting".
I wouldn't worry about touching the pivot screw. I've had many of SOG's SAT openers including the Flash I, Flash II(both in zytel and alum), Mini and full sized Aegis. And I've adjusted them all many times. I've only used a torx bit on the them though. Also perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you mean by concentric issues. As you've heard, the play can be dealt with to an extent by tightening the pivot screw. SOG knives don't all seem to be 100% clones(in terms of precision manufacturing) of each other so some people seem to just be lucky and get a knife in which you can completely eliminate the play and some just won't.
btw, did you notice the portion of the handle where the cutter is. It's lined with steel(at least on the mini). That's what makes it a bit heavier. I'd say it ads about .3oz to the mini.

Back