Bow Legged Jack of All Trades

chainring

Gold Member
I do not represent myself as an expert or an acclaimed critic whose opinion is based on vast reservoirs of experience or technical knowledge where custom knives are concerned. However, my Dad passed on to me a raging case of enthusiasm for well-made knives, production and custom. I'm 31 now, and my tastes have developed over the years. It started as soon as I can remember with poring over dog-eared copies of Smoky Mountain Knife Works catalogs, casting longing eyes at Jigged Bone, pocketworn Case Canoes, Stag Stockmen, Sodbusters, Sunfish, and Buck sheath knives. I confess to having ordered (or tacked onto my Dad's order) a few crappy little Frost Cutlery knives, simply because that was all I could afford to buy with my meager savings at the time. Dad, however, always came through with a lovely Stag Canoe or something wonderful on birthdays and Christmas, and ruined me forever for cheap knives. Since then, my interests have moved through SOG, Graham Brothers Razels, Striders, Zero Tolerance, Buck/Strider productions, and a few other customs along the way. Each knife would get carried or played with, and then stashed, then sold to fund something else. Many of them I would reshape the G10 scales with a file or sandpaper, trying to achieve a grip that felt good - or if the knife was too expensive to butcher then it simply got sold. Many of them had features that I loved. I gradually found the concept of an EDC fixed-blade, thanks to the Graham guys. The Striders introduced me to the idea of a smallish grip allowing the overall size of the knife to remain reasonable, while having a businesslike blade-length. Stainless and G10 and kydex, loved it. All that was lacking was...well...character...and comfort! I love Glock 9mm handguns because they work every time - nothing there that doesn't need to be there. But pride of ownership they aint got! My knives were that way - worked great, but there wasn't anything about them that made me really enjoy using them.

I found Bladeforums, found the customs for sale by individuals area, and my horizons broadened considerably. Then I saw a "Fiddleback" and my interest spiked. Look at the handle on that thing! Found the Maker's sale area and Andy's forum! Pored over the galleries and user pics like a 6 year old boy with a Smoky Mountain Knife Works catalog! :) Not only were the knives made of materials that were utilitarian, but they were beautiful. And the handles were works of art - throw away the rasps, files, and sandpaper, not going to need 'em on these! And the knives were affordable - I wouldn't feel too guilty buying one...OR too worried to USE them. Now I wanted a knife that could rust if I wasn't careful, that would take on a patina, that had a leather sheath that would scratch and weather, that had wood scales. I wanted a tool that became mine, and whose character developed as I used it.

I finally snagged my first Fiddleback and it was everything that I had envisioned. The Woodsman is an awe-inspiring force - it makes me feel like Mogua in Last of the Mohicans! The Snubnose prototype (my first Fiddleback) has the angles, materials, blade shape that I LOVE! The little Karda that I "bought for my wife" is one of the best proportioned little knives I've ever beheld - and the first Fiddleback that cut the hooey out of my finger, you gotta watch it when you pull a knife out of a kydex sheath! Thankfully, the red kydex and micarta don't show blood very much! :) The Bow Legged Belt Knife is the first knife that I will be able to use in front of my customers that won't cause ingorant-sheeple panic. It looks like a tool. It IS a tool. The handle shape fits my hand perfectly, and the blade shape is ultimately useful. However, both the Bow Legged Belt Knife and the Snubnose prototype are off at Talfuchre's place getting fantastic horizontal, square-ended "tool pouch" sheaths fitted to them.

So...I've been killing time with a wonderful little Bow Legged Joe. I took the sheath that came with it to a local saddlemaker and got him to add a couple of belt loops to it to allow me to carry it horizontally. Voila, the best carry package I've ever had. I'm not sure that the BLBK is going to be better!

Here's a few pics of it:

DSC01755.jpg

DSC02066.jpg

DSC02067.jpg

DSC02068.jpg

DSC02057.jpg

It's been my Every Day Carry since I got it - I just wish I'd gotten two sheaths for it so I didn't have to keep switching it from chore wear to work wear!

It helped mortise for hinges on a door for a 3-gun stage I built to help my sister get ready for her first competition, and scribed the "dead-bolt" dowels for the door to enable a simulated door breach.

DSC01726.jpg

DSC01728.jpg

DSC01718.jpg

DSC01720.jpg

DSC01729.jpg

It opens boxes, mail, cuts rope, trims plastic, wood, leather, cleans out PVC pipe cuts, all the normal daily stuff. I've got a $175 tool that is used to scribe the rubber jacket on elevator traveling cable so it can be stripped back to expose the wires - a choked up grip on the BLJ works vastly better! I work on elevators - people elevators, not grain, the kind you see at colleges and banks - so I get oily often enough that the scandi grind hasn't yet taken much of a patina. The flat profiles on the blade make a great scraper when there is wax/paint/grease/crayon on a surface that I need to clean. Yeah, 5 kids under the age of 7 will spread crayon wax everywhere! ;) Anyway, it stays sharp, it's tough, it feels good in the hand, and it has character! People express interest in it, and I'm happy to show it to them. It does everything I've needed it to do. Granted, I don't camp out, don't do fuzz sticks, don't baton, and don't routinely skin wooly mammoths....but if I did, I'd pick a Fiddleback to use for those purposes. My Bow Legged Joe would still be somewhere in the kit, though! :)

Thanks, Andy, for the fantastic, inspiring products! I really, really enjoy my knives now.

Last edited:
A few more of my "little friend!"

DSC02060.jpg

DSC02062.jpg

DSC02063.jpg

DSC02059.jpg

DSC02058.jpg

DSC02065.jpg

Sorry about the long-winded posts, but I'm more enthusiastic about knives now than I ever was! And if I knew how to edit and post a Youtube video, I'd do it! :)

I don't think anyone here is going to complain about long winded posts, especially when they contain BLJ pics. Congrats on several great scores from Andy.

MAN!!! I love the mods you did on that sheath!! That makes it several times more useful. I wonder if you could do the same thing with parachord and a ranger band?

Yeah, it looks like the original "neck sheath" holes would have been just far enough apart to allow the paracord idea to work great. I've got a one-track mind, and that never occured to me! I visualized leather loops, so that's what happened! :) They are pretty cheesy, actually - already loosened up and wiggling. I'm limpin' by waiting for Talfuchre to make a REAL horizontal sheath for my BLBK!

For anyone who has just gotten the bug, I have a SWEET convexed BLJ wearing Ironwood about to be finished....

Fiddleback For anyone who has just gotten the bug, I have a SWEET convexed BLJ wearing Ironwood about to be finished....

Andy I would love to get my hands on a BLJ in Ironwood. Let me know if it is still avialable and the price.
Thanks,
Bret

GREAT review. I like seeing all the different ways to hold it, and the different things you use it for. I use my woods knives inside, outside, at work, wherever I need a cutting tool. Looks like you do too!

Fiddleback For anyone who has just gotten the bug, I have a SWEET convexed BLJ wearing Ironwood about to be finished....

Andy I would love to get my hands on a BLJ in Ironwood. Let me know if it is still avialable and the price.
Thanks,
Bret

Lemme know what you want and I'll make you a BLJ Bret. :thumbup:

Bumpin' this one just because I love this knife so much!

And it's had new pants by Talfuchre for awhile, too:

DSC06083.jpg

DSC07048.jpg

Last edited:
I LOVE my BLJ - it performs much larger than it is.

so right - when i got mine i was underwhelmed by it, nice looking but when i started using boy was i surprised and now it gets used everywhere. Chainring both those sheaths look fantastic (as does the BLJ), i'm gonna have to think about getting mine some pants now:).

Dude - you have WORN that sheath havn't you? I LOVE to see my work just get trashed like that. That is the way it is supposed to look when it is worn well. Is it holding up?

TF

Every work day on the job, I wear this rig. I leave it on my work pants and it goes anywhere I go. When I'm home doing chores, I wear my Bow Legged Belt Knife in the horizontal sheath you made for it. It's bigger, but carries just as well. Never know either of them is there until you need it! Both are showing signs of use, but are as good to go as ever - just picking up a little character! It's the only way to make a Fiddleback better, put it in Tal leather. I treat 'em all with the Montana Pitch Blend periodically, good as new.

Back