Bow Shooters or Hunters

Bow hunt with a Matthews SQ2.
And have my fathers Fred Bear 48 that I shoot around in the yard when my daughter wants to practice too.
I’ll snap a pic tomorrow.

I started in college with a recurve, basically olympic style equipment. Compounds were just starting on the market a few years later so I bought one and used it in field archery (NFAA) competition. We also did some indoor PAA competition and FITA competition. Outdoor NFAA competition was always my favorite. I moved to other hobbies some time ago and didn't have time for archery but I've occasionally thought about going back to it.

For those not familiar with the abbreviations- olympic equipment is basically a recurve bow with maximum of 4 stabilizers and non-optic sights, pulled with your fingers and no release devices. Indoors we shot about about 20 yards. The outdoor competition which used to be used in the Olympics (governed by the FITA organization) consisted of 36 arrows at each of 4 distances of 30, 50, 70 and 90 meters. The olympics has since switched to a different style of elimination and doesn't use all 4 distances. I used a Hoyt Takedown II bow with fiberglass/wood composite limbs and aluminum arrows (no carbon fiber).

When I got into field archery this was the beginning of compound bow production. I started with a PSE, then bought my favorite which was a Jennings Arrowstar. I had problems with it and for a little while I used a Wing that I found used. All of these bows were 4-wheelers which are pretty much gone from the market now. I experimented with various release aids and liked playing with them but I could compete better in limited competition using fingers. I was shooting in unlimited class meaning I had longer stabilizers and adjustable sights with a magnifying lens. As I remember field archery back then had distances from about 15 feet to 80 yards. Before I really got into compounds I shot field archery with my recurve. It was accurate but a bit hindered by having less velocity.

Compounds back then had round eccentrics even though the original Allen patent shows oval eccentrics. I always thought this was because design and manufacturing were easier with round eccentrics. Being an engineer I had the idea of making eccentrics more like the cams used today to provide more velocity than we could get with the round eccentrics. I tried to devise a computer program that would do incremental integration of the movement of the cams, limbs, cables and string during shooting in order to simulate the forces and determine the power but never got very far into it.

I don't own a compound anymore but still have my Hoyt. When I was in college our team went to the Desert Inn Archery Classic in Las Vegas where we met Earl Hoyt Jr. and he signed my bow with a Sharpie pen.

I shoot an older model PSE Stinger, stock config, wife shoots a Diamond Youth model with the heavier limb set, (might need to turn the limbs up the next we go shoot, since she's been hitting the gym so much) I teach with a collection of fiberglass stick and recurve bows as there are few companies making quality single piece youth bows anymore. We also got a set of Cartel take-downs for the older kids. I don't get to shoot as much as I like, but I'm happy to teach. Given the choice, I'd teach instead of shoot.

B bdmicarta I shot NFAA in the late 60's early 70's mostly with a Bear Super Kodiak recurve until the Jennings compounds came out. I had one of the early wood handled Jennings. You will understand every bit of this: the last NFAA tournament I shot with an all white Jennings Arrowstar (Killian Check it sight with a dot) with a 25% let off. I shot Easton X7's with the old heavy Bullet points. Must have been in either the late 70's or early 80's. I shot a few 3D rounds but never cared for them. I preferred the marked distances of NFAA over the 3D. It's a shame the NFAA faded out to 3D. I thoroughly enjoyed archery for over thirty years. I was lucky that we had a nice NFAA range in my hometown. When I left for college in 1969 we had a first class NFAA range, one of the young ladies that worked at the college was a two time NFAA women's barebow national champion, she string walked a Groves recurve. I shot with her almost every week. We had a very active club, with over two hundred members.

I remember the Desert Inn Classic very well, it was the best of the best.

I shoot Hoyt Charger, been practicing a few years, planning a hunt this year. I was going to put in last year but had a car accident and wasn't in the best shape because of it.

I too have been shooting for literally decades. Back in the mid 70's I traded a Winchester shotgun for a Jennings 4 pulley compound with a beautiful laminated wood stock. I still have her. I recently took her in for a tune-up. New string and a lube job. The guy doing the work asked me if she was for sale and I said, nah, I love this bow and I'm pretty good with her. He said, do you shoot bare-fingered? I said yes, how did you know? He said a lot of you guys did back then. He then said, this bow is in demand due to it being a, 'forgiving' bow. I said, you mean to tell me after all these years I thought it was me, being a good shot? He just smiled.
I also have a Samic Sage takedown.

B bdmicarta I shot NFAA in the late 60's early 70's mostly with a Bear Super Kodiak recurve until the Jennings compounds came out. I had one of the early wood handled Jennings. You will understand every bit of this: the last NFAA tournament I shot with an all white Jennings Arrowstar (Killian Check it sight with a dot) with a 25% let off. I shot Easton X7's with the old heavy Bullet points...

Yes, understood perfectly.
I still have a set of X7 with the heavy Futura points made by IIRC Freddy and Eva.

Longbow hickory limbs with osage handle.
Now THAT is a bow. Those gear driven monstrosities with sights and releases....hate em. Yes they fling an arrow faster, they allow a hunter more range, more accurate, easier to learn to shoot with a release and sights....etc. Traditional bows took time and effort to learn to shoot instinctively. Becoming proficient with a traditional was an ACCOMPLISHMENT. You can teach most anyone to shoot a sighted compound in a few hours. Taking big game with a traditional at 20 yds or under...Again an accomplishment. Not so much at 50 yds with a compound.

Now THAT is a bow. Those gear driven monstrosities with sights and releases....hate em. Yes they fling an arrow faster, they allow a hunter more range, more accurate, easier to learn to shoot with a release and sights....etc. Traditional bows took time and effort to learn to shoot instinctively. Becoming proficient with a traditional was an ACCOMPLISHMENT. You can teach most anyone to shoot a sighted compound in a few hours. Taking big game with a traditional at 20 yds or under...Again an accomplishment. Not so much at 50 yds with a compound.
My first was a 30lb wooden recurve. Gosh, that was back in the 60's o_O

Bear Kodiak Hunter and Buck Pathfinder from 1975. :)

aYggXdJ.jpg

You loose more wounded game too.
Better equipment=more clean kills.
;)

I'll share a shooting line with almost anyone. I don't much care what someone shoots, so long as they leave the ego in their range bag.

You loose more wounded game too.
Better equipment=more clean kills.
;)
NOT if you try some of the long range shots I hear about from the guys in my gun club. Fifty to 70 yd shots on game!
I NEVER lost a single deer or elk with a 65# Recurve. You got close, or the game came to you and you carefully took the shot. Sometimes SIMPLE is good too.

NOT if you try some of the long range shots I hear about from the guys in my gun club. Fifty to 70 yd shots on game!
I NEVER lost a single deer or elk with a 65# Recurve. You got close, or the game came to you and you carefully took the shot. Sometimes SIMPLE is good too.

You missed my point.
There is nothing overly complicated about either type of bow.

Now THAT is a bow. Those gear driven monstrosities with sights and releases....hate em. Yes they fling an arrow faster, they allow a hunter more range, more accurate, easier to learn to shoot with a release and sights....etc.
Yes, they are better equipment.

Traditional bows took time and effort to learn to shoot instinctively. Becoming proficient with a traditional was an ACCOMPLISHMENT. You can teach most anyone to shoot a sighted compound in a few hours.
You are making my point.
Less time master the equipment = less lost game.

Taking big game with a traditional at 20 yds or under...Again an accomplishment. Not so much at 50 yds with a compound.

Losing and injured one because you haven't mastered your weapon hurts the deer, other hunters, and may turn the shooter off from hunting.
All bad.

I understand some people enjoy the bragging rights of traditional bows, and that's great.
But kids, and smaller adults or adults with Injury like to hunt too, and compound bows allow them a chance to enjoy the hunt.

The single advantage of a compound is the ability for some hunters to shoot a much heaver poundage bow (which is good IMO). I don't think it makes one whit of difference what weapon a hunter uses as long as it's ethical and results in a humane kill. I won't argue about some hunters taking risky shots, it happens using any method of hunting.

The idea is to encourage the next generation to hunt and fish.
Kids that hunt and fish don't usually grow up to rob rob little old ladies or liquor stores.

Back